AMD's next gen card: displays a resolution up to 7680 x 3200 on a single card

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
eyefinity.jpg

one image across 6 panels

That's six Dell 30" displays, each with an individual resolution of 2560 x 1600. The game is World of Warcraft and the man crouched in front of the setup is Carrell Killebrew, his name may sound familiar.

Driving all of this is AMD's next-generation GPU, which will be announced later this month. I didn't leave out any letters, there's a single GPU driving all of these panels. The actual resolution being rendered at is 7680 x 3200; WoW got over 80 fps with the details maxed. This is the successor to the RV770. We can't talk specs but at today's AMD press conference two details are public: over 2 billion transistors and over 2 TFLOPs of performance. As expected, but nice to know regardless.

DisplayPort is gaining popularity. It's a very simple interface and you can expect to see mini-DisplayPort on notebooks and desktops alike in the very near future. Apple was the first to embrace it but others will follow.

The OEMs asked AMD for six possible outputs for DisplayPort from their notebook GPUs: up to two internally for notebook panels, up to two externally for conncetors on the side of the notebook and up to two for use via a docking station. In order to fulfill these needs AMD had to build in 6 lanes of DisplayPort outputs into its GPUs, driven by a single display engine. A single display engine could drive any two outputs, similar to how graphics cards work today.

Eventually someone looked at all of the outputs and realized that without too much effort you could drive six displays off of a single card - you just needed more display engines on the chip. AMD's DX11 GPU family does just that.

I played Dirt 2, a DX11 title at 7680 x 3200 and saw definitely playable frame rates. I played Left 4 Dead and the experience was much better. Obviously this new GPU is powerful, although I wouldn't expect it to run everything at super high frame rates at 7680 x 3200.

:O

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3635

why would you ever want to play on a display setup like that with a huge break right where you're going to be looking most of the time.

It's just something that can be done now pretty easily with displayport so they did it and try to make it look cool. Matrox had multi-monitor gaming with their monitor software and adapters like this but their 3d cards were slow so no one bought them. This is a single GPU powering 7680 x 3200 pixels.

For gaming, you don't want a 'bar' in the center of view... especially FPS games.
Although I think it would be cool to have 3 to 5 LCDs in a curve in front of you. No top and bottom screens. Just expanding to the left and right. The odd number means there is no center 'bar' blocking your crosshair etc.

that's just 6 regular dell monitors stacked together. It'll look better with this:

eyefinity2.jpg

samsung's eyefinity

anyways this really isnt about the monitors, it's about a single card pumping out 7680 x 3200

Couldn't they just manufacture some kind of modular monitor where you can take parts of the outer-frame off when needed? Or is there some really obvious reason why you can't have removable frames on consumer electronics?

edit: Also aware that 'couldn't they just' can usually be answered by saying 'yeah probably, but why does anyone have to, really?'

I always wanted frameless monitors that can be put next to each other seamlessly.

I suppose some sort of frame is required on LCD to hold the thing together, but my idea is that they could use thin TRANSPARENT plastic frames I would think, and have the LCD extend all the way to the edges. In this way, the edges of the screen are still visible through the frame.

Any manufacturers listening?

Tags: frameless monitors; multiple monitor display; transparent monitor frame

The four people who can take advantage of this are going to go nuts!

DO WANT! also does someone have $5000 i can borrow?? this tech is pretty cool

Back