Amphibians Dying En Masse

VirusType2

Reaction score
National Geographic said:
Amphibians lead double lives—one in water and one on land. Many begin life with gills, then develop lungs as they age. They are vertebrate animals that include frogs, toads, salamanders, and newts as well as odd, wormlike caecilians (seh-SILL-yuns). They are cold-blooded, using the environment to regulate their body temperature. Early amphibians were the first animals to leave the sea and venture onto land, forming a crucial link from fish to terrestrial reptiles.

“Frogs are often referred to as a barometer or a bellwether because they live both in water and on land, so they are vulnerable to or affected by both environments,” Argo said. “At the same time, amphibians have been on the planet for 360 million years, and as one of the scientists in my film put it, they are tough customers. So you can say they are sensitive to all these environmental pressures, but its not just a light environmental pressure on them, they are just getting everything heaped on them at once, and that seems to be why we are losing them.”

When climates change, and drought happens, breeding ponds and creek beds dry up. Frogs, who breathe air and drink water through their skin, are very sensitive to contaminated water supplies. The last straw, it seems, is the deadly (to frogs, not humans) chytrid fungus that has spread all over the world

"Low frog populations wreak havoc on food chains; fish love tadpoles and everything from small birds to large-land carnivores eat frogs. But the loss is even greater in scope: some species of frogs produce chemicals in their skin that could hold the cures for major diseases; Argo said a new, more powerful and nonaddictive alternative to morphine was recently developed based on chemicals produced by these frogs. Other mysterious creatures, including the Boreal Chorus Frog found in Jackson Hole that actually freezes solid during the winter and thaws back to life in the spring, have capabilities that are still not completely understood by scientists."

BTW I saw that frog freeze for winter then thaw out on a National Geographic special of Alaska. Simply amazing. It's blood produces a sugar of some sort that prevents it's vital organs from freezing.

Chytridiomycosis has been linked to dramatic population declines or even extinctions of amphibian species in western North America, Central America, South America, eastern Australia, and Dominica and Montserrat in the Caribbean. The fungus is capable of causing sporadic deaths in some amphibian populations and 100% mortality in others. There is no effective measure for control of the disease in wild populations. The disease is contributing to a worldwide decline in amphibian populations, a worldwide decline of species that apparently has affected 30% of the amphibian species of the world
Some researchers contend that the focus on chytridiomycosis has made amphibian conservation efforts dangerously myopic. In Guatemala, for example, several thousands of tadpoles perished from an unidentified pathogen distinct from B. dendrobatidis [9]. Such researchers stress the need for a broader understanding of the host-parasite ecology that is contributing to the modern day amphibian declines.

Fungus epidemic
Global warming
Destruction of habitat
Water and Air Pollution

in before" that just nature dude,it happened whit the dinosaurs*leave in big ass hummer*"

i'll fight to keep them alive if i have to breed them myself. i love frogs/snakes/newts

Amazing species, I'm always very happy when I see some newts or salamanders in our streams and forests.

Most epic ambhibian is indeed Japanese giant salamander!

3906_de-salamander-1_04700300.jpg

Doesn't salamander sound like something you'd put on a sandwich?

Amazing species, I'm always very happy when I see some newts or salamanders in our streams and forests.

Most epic ambhibian is indeed Japanese giant salamander!

3906_de-salamander-1_04700300.jpg

Funny, I posted that in the Image Dump a few days ago. :O

can't we resurrect extinct species with DNA codes or something? Like Jurassic park? I seriously thought they figured out how to.

Code:A4T2Dt52d1

but it's about 5,000,000,000 digits. So basically, we are all digital.

EDIT: just reading up on it, they need a perfect code, which you won't get from 6 million year old dinosaur bones. You can get it from something alive today for example, but then you need to put it in a similar egg and hatch it. And it's going to need a mate.

Turns out they did bring a member of an extinct species back to life (from 2000A.D.), but it died of breathing difficulties:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...ing-species-back-from-extinction-1522974.html

I hope scientists are cataloging the genomes of endangered species. They've got their work cut out for them.

Of course they're dying virus, WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF WATER!!!

I grew up and told Mother Nature to **** off.

She broke my heart.

you used have a female salamander as pet and you like her so much you wanted to marry her and have little slamander babyes and live in a house near the beach but couldnt be together by the fact that you where diferent species so you left her in a pond all sad and decided to live a sad lonely life whitout love??

Twilight vampire frog
lol

So there is a lot of talk about amphibians going extinct in the scientific community, but specifically the subclass of frogs. Personally, I don't believe they would go completely extinct, but they might only exist in captivity.

However, imagine that Amphibians went extinct - an entire class of creatures. It wouldn't have been the first time: dinosaurs for example (though it may be true that birds are relatives of the dinosaurs).

Scientists believe that the amphibians were the creatures to leave the water and the first to walk on land. For 360 million years, amphibians have been on Earth.

Right now, they are an extremely important part of the food chain, and without them, many other species will go extinct. It's impossible to determine the outcome and the far reaching consequences, but they will be massive.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I mean, what if we are witnessing an entire class die out?
1 Animalia (Animals)

1.1 Phylum Chordata

1.1.1 Class Acanthodii - extinct
1.1.2 Class Actinistia (coelacanths)
1.1.3 Class Actinopterygii (ray-finned fish)
1.1.4 Class Amphibia (amphibians)
1.1.5 Class Ascidiacea (ascideans and sessile tunicates)
1.1.6 Class Aves (birds)
1.1.7 Class Chondrichthyes (cartilagenous fish)
1.1.8 Class Dipnoi (lungfish)
1.1.9 Class Larvacea
1.1.10 Class Mammalia (mammals)
1.1.11 Class Petromyzontida (lampreys)
1.1.12 Class Placodermi - extinct
1.1.13 Class Reptilia (reptiles)
1.1.14 Class Thaliacea (pelagic tunicates)

Consider the fact that there could be a new class as well. What could you imagine that nature will come up with next?

Well, at least I thought my last post was interesting.

OK, at least tell me this: Do you think humans should get involved like with the Amphibian Arc project already underway, or let nature run it's course?

By all accounts, humans have definitely contributed to their decline, albeit inadvertently.

So do you think we should then be responsible to try to fix something that we broke? Or do you think that - since we are only animals when it comes down to it, that: species come and go / should have evolved better / tough shit.

Frogs in particular have evolved with interesting adaptions, poisons and chemicals formed on their skin that can be used to further science. One type of frog - its skin coating is being tested as a possible drug to combat HIV.

Interesting story, that:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/09/050930080923.htm
The Australian red-eyed tree frog, Litoria chloris, had the highest levels of peptides that block HIV infection of all species that the researchers tested. (Photo by Douglas C. Woodhams)

Back