An open letter to the people that are downloading HL2

kalayq

Reaction score
I have been watching the fallout of the source leak with some interest, but one thing is really bugging me here. Why do many people feel that they are owed something by valve or any company for that matter? Valve can make the game come out in 2010 and that would fine, its their decision, not yours. They do not owe any one of us anything. We give our support on a purely voluntary basis. It is in their interest to have it, but that does not entitle us to having what we want whenever we want it. Why do some of you feel so self important that because you have been waiting for the game to come out for a few months, you should deserve to get something for your "efforts" if one can really call it that. I consider myself a part of the half-life community, but I feel ashamed today for all of you who would spit in the face of the company that is trying to make something for all of us. Yes we have to pay for the game, (its how one shows support in a capitalist economy) but Valve is making HL2 for us because we wanted it. Patience is not a virtue, but something that we all posses. Life abounds with many other things than playing half-life 2. Go hang out with your friends, play some hockey, do homework, play CS or UT. If you wait patiently you will get your reward. You will get a bug free fully functional half life 2 instead of the crapy half working version going around now. Don't mess up your experience with HL2. Valve is working hard to give us the best game they can make.
For those of you who do not have any patience and/or feel self important, than think of it this way: You deserve to play the best version of HL2 for waiting all this time. You don't deserve to play a crapy half ass build of the game, you have gone through too much torment and hardship while waiting all these months. You deserve the best because of it!

Thank you for reading this.

:afro:

COS WE ARE SPECIAL

well I am, and I hold shares in Valve (one of the few) if they screw up I loose lots of money.

Originally posted by Caminante
one free copy of hl2 coming up.:p

right......

screw you,

if the leak is real, i'm not downloading it, i want the best experience possible and to be a true fan.

Actually they do owe me something, I already paid my 50 bucks back in May!!

I don't care about all this crap.
If I find it in my way I can't resist, I'll download it, for a first taste, and when it will released I will also buy it.
I bet many of you will do the same, perhaps kalayq allready have the game, so sue me!!
:borg: :bounce: :dork:

They owe their customers honesty. Repeatedly lying about when a game will come out disrespects all of their customers.

Besides that, they've consistently pis*ed off the CS community by releasing crappy updates to CS, so I don't feel bad for them at all, and I'm DL'ing hl2 as we speak.

Originally posted by kalayq
Why do many people feel that they are owed something by valve or any company for that matter?

I don't know. I really don't know....

Shouldn't this be titled "A closed letter to the people downloading" Because we all know they wud hack it open.

Originally posted by RyanJM
They owe their customers honesty. Repeatedly lying about when a game will come out disrespects all of their customers.

Besides that, they've consistently pis*ed off the CS community by releasing crappy updates to CS, so I don't feel bad for them at all, and I'm DL'ing hl2 as we speak.

correct.
and: days away from release: " September 30th? " " you got it!!!!!!!! "
Don't make it look like Gabe's living in some box behind valve's offices... they didn't take ALL of the money from hl to go towards hl2...
Half-life was a great game, half-life 2 will be..., good company, good ideas, just tend to lie a little and get a lof of hopes up.. and waste my money 8(
How do you go from september 30th to possibly april.. thats quite the miscalculation.

i want the response to be: "LIes Are A Part Of LIfe, XElNein!" Forgive And FOrget!!!_ "

valve can only piss around so long before hl2 actually has some competition- and then we can all look forward to them getting their act together.

_Xelnein

Hands down for you, one of the few who isn't caught in rage and still thinks clear :cheers:
That's exactly how I feel, they owe us NOTHING, we payed for HL1, we got value for it, we haven't yet paid for HL2, but when it releases, we'll get value too. Until then, the owe us nothing, they never made a single promise (well Gabe promised it will be a great game)

So anyone who bashes Valve for no reason, you can get a big warm and friendly F-U-C-K YOU

valve hates giving out release dates. theyve never been able to release anything on time. you should come to expect this from valve
geez whats a few months to you people. its amazing how impatient all these hl2-addicts are.

They SAID September 30th... i bought a nearly 300 dollar video card on what was told to be directly from Gabe... and not just stated.. but restated through many, many, emails, and interviews.
By the time the game is actually released i could have afforded a higher quality card... and yes, it was bought specifically for half-life 2.
You people can offer them a smurfoff all you want, but they're going to run out of free t-shirts sooner or later.

_Xelnein

smurfoff

What the **** is a "smurfoff"?

But more importantly, if it involves gay sex, how can I get myself into one?

:smurfing: is from the family guy, of course.
":O ...
....yes pirates indeed,
how's your kazaalite doing.
hypocrites.
(no, i haven't downloaded the source;; and i do not plan to.)

Originally posted by hunter-killer25
right......

screw you,

if the leak is real, i'm not downloading it, i want the best experience possible and to be a true fan.

Agreed.

I have never developed a game before, but from looking at the development times of many mods and games, one can usually say that there is a delay almost 90% of the time. Sometimes its really long, and sometimes its only a few weeks. I personally think that any game/mod makers should just use the famous line (I think attributed to the people at ID) of when its done! and spend their time making good games instead of stressing over making a deadline.

ryanJM I agree with you about the CS updates, that really did suck, but with regards to the release date, well you gota take these things with a grain of salt.

"I love deadlines. I specially love the swooshing sounds they make as they fly by."

- Douglas Adams

Originally posted by hunter-killer25
right......

screw you,

Sweet, have you got your Valve recommended ATi card too? And when you play, shall you be wearing your ATi T-Shirt and Baseball Cap?

I feel sorry for the people who rushed out and bought an ATi card just for HL2 and on the comments of Gabe Newell. I also feel sorry for the Nvidia owners who went out and sold their 5900's at a LOSS so they could get an ATi card, JUST to play HL2.

Well done Gabe, well done, in one week you single-handedly influenced the purchasing decision of many gamers, three weeks later you made your comments and those purchases irrelevant.

well why do I expect something you say? If the game wasnt announced and valve didnt start the marketing machine, then whocares, it wasnt like I was dieing untill the announced that the game would be out. But instead they got all the big magazine tell US about their game, went to eat and dropped our jaws went to ati shaders day (12 sept) advertising radeon and how their card are sooo needed for the "imminent" game. I spent more than 700 canadian $ in making my machine the best just for this game. The component I had b4 could run all my games at at least 60 fps, but I opted for faster equipment to run the best game from the best company in the world. I am sorry for what happened to them, but at the same time it is not right they treated and are treating us, their customers. THe should have been blunt from the beginning. I think the best thing is to release the game now through steam (whocares if it is not done, why do we have patches?" Why u say? because this is too much out of proportion. Even the person that isnt usually skilled enough to dl leaked software will know how to because this freaking game is on the mouth of every1 even cnn and bbc for goodness sake. Even my grandma could go get the game off irc if she was in gaming and she wanted it.

I dont want one month of screw ups wreck the reputation of this great company, so my advise is release the darn thing and me and the other million fanboy will give u the $$$ even if it is not totally done. Valve should forget about marketing as this is as much "free" advertisement they can get...
Just my 2 Cents

Well, everyone seems to be treating Gabe as a god. Keep in mind that Half-Life 2 is potentially worth millions, and everybody seems to be whining about how badly Valve screwed up releasing the game on time. Just cover the leak with gum by not downloading the pirates' product and giving Valve your support.

Back