Another AMD64 Thread

I would wait till they get better AMD 64 chips out. And then I would buy.

I Will probally be buying a athlon 64 + mobo and ram sometime when the pci express video cards come around. Still going to be ****ing sweet.

Stupid idea, the 64bit CPUs and PCI-Express wont take enough of a good advantage to buy soon.

Re: Re: Another AMD64 Thread

Originally posted by $pazmatazz
Quite a lot of assumptions for a chip no one knows anything about.

Well it's supposed to be pretty similar to the Opteron chips they released a short while back and they've been pretty successful in the server market so far. I don't really agree with them being pointless at the moment, even if the software doesn't jump to 64bit straight away one of it's main features is that it's still damn fast with 32bit processes.
I doubt PCI express will be much use for a while, 8X AGP is hardly used atm even by the latest cards.

I dont see the point yet....dont waste your money...keep your current PC untill you can actaully make use of a 64bit cpu(windows 64bit would help).

And like mentioned above...dont rush into it...at first they may not be that great....and your choices will be limited.

when they come out im gettin a xp3000 since they will be cheaper :) and my mobo only supports 333fsb :\

guys, you won't be seeing widespread adaptation of the 64 bit process for at least a year and a half, and even then, i doubt they'll be much use as most games and such will still be developed in 32 bit

until then, the 64 bit process is going to be mainly for workstations and servers

if you buy a 64 bit processor, it will have absolutely no performance gains over a 32 bit processor running the same program, the only area it will gain performance in is in a 64 bit application, and, like i said, it will be a long time before those are developed in 64 bit

DOES IT SAY ANYWERE that this 64 AMD runs faster in games? ANYWERE? and is there any indications of its price?

i really want to know cause i might get one. But i heard that they are barely faster than 3.2 p4 and only in applications.

Doods! weather we like it or not the world of pc software is slowly moving to 64 bit. Im all for it. I did not mean this to become a small flame fest but to let peeps know that the 64 bit cpus will be here soon.

So far ive seen severial software companies that are allready starting to code for 64 bit. There are severial games that are making patches and updates for 64 bit.

Linux has supported 64 bit hardware and software for a wile now. Microsoft is making a 64 bit Os. Its just a matter of time 32 will faze out. It may take a few years but its all going to go 64 bit.

Originally posted by thenerdguy
So far ive seen severial software companies that are allready starting to code for 64 bit. There are severial games that are making patches and updates for 64 bit.

Linux has supported 64 bit hardware and software for a wile now. Microsoft is making a 64 bit Os. Its just a matter of time 32 will faze out. It may take a few years but its all going to go 64 bit.

It will take more than a few years......

Gamers are rare ....most people dont upgrade that often. Including large companys.

64bit is not worth it at this time or in the near future.. your better off buying a fast 32bit cpu.

doesnt there need to be a 64 bit OS before any 64bit software comes out or else it wont utilize the full capacity of the processor? ...i think...

Linux has a 64bit OS out i believe, maybe beta still.
MS Windows 64bit OS will be done end of this year and shipped Q1 '04.
You can run 32bit OS on the Machine and still get the other benefits of the CPU and of course you can run a 64bit OS and run 32bit apps also.
For businesses AMD64 opteron makes plenty sense..***n 32bit and 64bit programs on the same machine that way you only have to port the programs to 64bit that need it for performance increases. Since most of you dont need 64bit yet, they give you other benefits also. Hypertransport, Intergrated memory controller (dual and single PC3200 for now, DDR2 later) and SSE2. Has more memory bandwidth than current P4s. Link. 246 is an Opteron at 2ghz while the 144 is an Opteron at 1.8ghz. Opteron is the server cpu which just has more L2 cache than the Athlon 64 and can handle SMP. 3200+ Athlon 64 will be at 2ghz so that give you an idea.
Also they are gonna switch the Athlon XP over to the 754pin count and it will get Hypertransport, SSE2 also but remain 32bit. Link
But what im looking forward to is San Diego .
- AMDZone
- X-bit labs

Originally posted by crabcakes66
I dont see the point yet....dont waste your money...keep your current PC untill you can actaully make use of a 64bit cpu(windows 64bit would help).

Gee. or Linux today. Actually, Linux has been 64-bit for ...5 years? 6? more?
alpha, sparc64, etc. The intel camp are the late-comers.

BTW, AMD is actively involved in porting Linux to their 64-bit arch. (It already runs just fine.)

Too bad some short-sighted people develop their software such that it will only run natively on one, workgroup-grade OS.;(

Originally posted by DeBaan
Gee. or Linux today. Actually, Linux has been 64-bit for ...5 years? 6? more?
alpha, sparc64, etc. The intel camp are the late-comers.

BTW, AMD is actively involved in porting Linux to their 64-bit arch. (It already runs just fine.)

Too bad some short-sighted people develop their software such that it will only run natively on one, workgroup-grade OS.;(

Im a aware that linux has supported 64bit for a while now.......but untill bill gets his OS out....it doesnt really matter.

Yes It does matter. for the few of us that use linux :) We allready have better performance than windows user with 32 bit cpus. Just think what it will be like for us with 64 bit cpus. :)

Originally posted by thenerdguy
Yes It does matter. for the few of us that use linux :) We allready have better performance than windows user with 32 bit cpus. Just think what it will be like for us with 64 bit cpus. :)

sorry...... something like 90% of people use windows....

Prices will be high untill A windows OS comes out and they can start moving large quanitys of 64bit cpus.......

And even then it will start slowly.....

Im guessing Intels 64 bit cpu will bring the prices down when it comes out.....THAT will be the time to buy.

a 64bit cpu is like a 256meg gfx card.....right now and in the immediate future..its a waste of money.

Originally posted by crabcakes66
a 64bit cpu is like a 256meg gfx card.....right now and in the immediate future..its a waste of money.
um No.
AMD64 offers more than just 64bit, it offers all the features I listed above also.
Its like choosing between a gfx 5800 (128mb) vs a gfx 5900 Ultra (256mb). There is more improvments there than just the 256mb.
Also, they are rating them conservativly. It should outperform the respective Pentium. The AMD64 3100+ outperforms the AthlonXP 3200+ in 3dmark2001se. link
These were done all on a 32bit Win OS. 64bit wasnt taken advantage of here.

Originally posted by Asus
um No.
AMD64 offers more than just 64bit, it offers all the features I listed above also.
Its like choosing between a gfx 5800 (128mb) vs a gfx 5900 Ultra (256mb). There is more improvments there than just the 256mb.
Also, they are rating them conservativly. It should outperform the respective Pentium. The AMD64 3100+ outperforms the AthlonXP 3200+ in 3dmark2001se. link
These were done all on a 32bit Win OS. 64bit wasnt taken advantage of here.

Its not my money....buy what you want.

ill wait a few years until its actually needed and games/programs support it.

sweet. 64 bit comes out on my birthday! i dont know why you guys say there wont be performance gains for games, ut2k3 is going to be patched for 64 bit pretty soon. i say we all wait for the benchmarks before more of these threads start up

Originally posted by Pathogen
sweet. 64 bit comes out on my birthday! i dont know why you guys say there wont be performance gains for games, ut2k3 is going to be patched for 64 bit pretty soon. i say we all wait for the benchmarks before more of these threads start up

wow......there will be a whole 3 games that use 64bit.

.....like i said...im not gonna waste my money.

I think crabcakes is stuck on the 64bit part. Altough he is correct, until MS Win64 comes out most will not bother taking advantage of 64bit with a 64bit OS. But even without 64bit, this CPU has outstanding performance.
Hypertransport?
SSE2?
So far I think all the benchmarks ive seen off this CPU have been with a 32bit OS.
This CPU will be very competitive with the new Pentium (Prescott).
When AMD64 is first released, I have no doubt it will regain performance crown with 3200+ rating and hold its own when Prescott comes.

I do too. Ill let you guys know how it does when they come out. :) ive got mine preordored.

Haha awesome. :thumbs:
I'm not due for an update for a while. Unless I get into projects that could use a SMP system.
*glances at the Dual Opterons

Dual is the way to go! :) The board that im getting has pci express and is supposed to have at the time it comes out cerial ATA. :)

Back