Another CS:S FPS Discussion

B

BranDeN

Hello to Everyone that will respond with positive and good information about what I'm going to ask! :p

I would like to know the difference I will see in about 1 month with my new computer, and if people can explain these AA/AF "stuff"

For Starters, I am completely Addicted to CS:S for graphical reasons. I cannot quit playing until my FPS become an Issue.

Rig 1- :bounce:

1.Intel P4 2.4GHz 533 c0re
2.Asus p4pe Motherboard
3.Pc2700 DDR333MHz 512mb Patriot w/ HS
4.ATI Radeon x800 Pro 256mb DDR3 - (Not using)9700 Pro 128mb
Stock HSF on VGA and Processor

Rig 2 - (In Process of Construction) :bounce:

1.AMD 64Bit 3400+ 939 socket w/ 90nm Technology
2.MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Motherboard
3.OCZ PC3200 2x512MB Enhanced Latency Dual ChanneL DDR400 Platinum Edition Timing - 2-3-2-5
4.ATI Radeon x800 Pro 256mb DDR3 - (Not using)9700 Pro 128mb
Thermalright XP-120 HSF for Processor
ATI Silencer 4 (x800)

Now since your familar with what I'm working with this is my "issue/question": :rolling:

At this moment I have the the Rig 1 Running. I see hardly if any difference...its making me somewhat bummed out becuase a $450 + tax Videocard is not showing up to par. :sniper:

I was recieving about a constant 70-100 FPS with one of the configs folks were posting, the game was plain with this, 1.6 had more graphics then it. Then today I decided to run Counter Strike : Source with a completely new config(stock), I have seen a completely difference in FPS. They are lower about 45-50 in a FULL 20 man server. Then when the action starts to pick up I hit about 20-30. To me I consider this very unreasonable about 12-20. Not to brag but I am fairly well skilled in this game and these frame rates DO NOT cut it. :sniper:

What I am wondering is there anyways I can increase my FPS on RIG 1. I know alot of people that play games leave programs running and have alot of processes running under "Windows Task Manager" I run about 20-23 processes which is farily low compared to alot of other users I know with some ranging up to 30-60. I like my computer to be focused on the game sincerely. I minimize the game and go into "Windows Task Manager" and select hl2.exe and set it to "High Priority". Still no increase, I run the game in the "Options" menu at High, Medium, and Low. When I run the AA @ 6x I recieve a tad higher FPS, it looks as if the range it is going is higher.

If there is nothing I can really do, except to deal with it till I set-up my new computer. Will I see a huge difference in Frames Per Second?

Now onto My Questions.

Question #1

What is AA/AF and what is there purpose?

Question #2

Does my RIG 1 Motherboard have to support DDR3 for a Videocard?

Question #3

Will there be a great deal of FPS difference(Higher)?

Question #4
(Future Referrance, I will be getting an "Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 4")

I have OverClocked the ATI Radeon x800 Pro 256mb DDR3 to:

Stock: Core - 475.19 Memory - 450.49

OverClocked Core - 529.28 Memory - 529.28
(Ran for 10 min Test in ATITool NO Errors)

I saw no difference in the FPS at all yet ATITool Showed like as if it had.
I used ATITool, is that a reputable program for OverClocking?

Question #5

I UNinstalled ATI's Drivers and Tried Omeges, somehow my FPS seemed at a more solid state, would you recommend Omega or ATI Drivers when OverClocking my VideoCard?

Summary:

Main Reason why I am posting this is to find away to increase my FPS? Will I see a difference with my new RIG in Process? Does OverClocking only show its true colors on POWERFUL Systems? What the Heck is AA/AF? Since I recieved this video *Free* which I will not disclose how I recieved it for *Free* use your imagination, and I am not taking orders. I also want the most I can get out of this computer I can. I WANT THE MAXIMUM!

:cheers:THANKS AGAIN IN ADVANCED TO ALL THAT ARE WILLING TO HELP!:cheers:

Question #1

What is AA/AF and what is there purpose?

AA is anti-aliasing. It makes the edges smoother.
http://www.widearea.co.uk/designer/anti.html

AF is anisotropic filtering. It makes textures appear sharper.
http://www.richleader.com/bargainbinreview_anisotropic-filtering.htm

Question #2

Does my RIG 1 Motherboard have to support DDR3 for a Videocard?

I'm an Nvidia user so I have no idea.
I'm not really sure, but I don't think so.

Question #3

Will there be a great deal of FPS difference(Higher)?

Your FPS will increase because of the faster CPU. You will still experience the framedrops in full servers etc, because your RAM is "only" 512 MB. Get 1024 if you don't want this to happen anymore. Or is it 2x512? You say it's dual channel, but not 2x512. Just 512...

Question #4
(Future Referrance, I will be getting an "Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 4")

I have OverClocked the ATI Radeon x800 Pro 256mb DDR3 to:

Stock: Core - 475.19 Memory - 450.49

OverClocked Core - 529.28 Memory - 529.28
(Ran for 10 min Test in ATITool NO Errors)

I saw no difference in the FPS at all yet ATITool Showed like as if it had.
I used ATITool, is that a reputable program for OverClocking?

I wouldn't overclock if I were you, because it will hardly make any difference for your FPS. FPS is pretty much based on the weakest "chain", which isnt your videocart but your RAM. Overclocking will only cause extra heating + some chance on hardware failure.

Question #5

I UNinstalled ATI's Drivers and Tried Omeges, somehow my FPS seemed at a more solid state, would you recommend Omega or ATI Drivers when OverClocking my VideoCard?

if your computer is really good dont run aa just go 1600 by 1200 because aa just blurrs the pixels around the pictures to give the appearence of being more smooth

I just want to know if this set-up in RIG 2 will rock..becuase @ this moment I completely unhappy..with 30 FPS... but also maybe something I can learn from you guys as well.

Also more Ram the better? I am considering of buying another 512 for 1.5 GB which should be plenty correct?

Can there ever be to much ram to where its a waste?

BranDeN said:
Can there ever be to much ram to where its a waste?

I'd say over 2Gb is a waste for a gaming rig, if you are having FPS problems with 1Gb then I'd say the ram is not the issue.

1.5Gb is PLENTY of memory if your goal is to game well. Any higher and you may notice poor performance.

Back