Another game requiring SM 3.0

ktimekiller

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Gah, another game that cannot run without SM 3.0, im losing alot of games lately cause of this damned requirement! I wanna play bioshock!!!

Recent games make me furious, its as if they made a pact with microsoft to force a 3.0 to make users buy nvdia instead of ati or something.

Recent games make me furious, its as if they made a pact with microsoft to force a 3.0 to make users buy nvdia instead of ati or something.

wtf are you talking about???
the last 2 generations both ati and nvidia have sm3.0 supported cards.
also this has nothing to do with the company.
bioshock is run off of the unreal 3 engine which is sm3.0 only and created by epic games.
i could swear i heard that ut3 would work on sm2.0 though.

This time around forcing us to upgrade is slightly bullshit. Bioshock isn't revolutionary graphics-wise, that's main reason I'm annoyed. SM2 can handle any Bioshock screenshot smoothly.

Here's some screenshots on my X800 (Shader Model 2-only card) using a patch created in 20mins by someone on the forums:
untitled1copygu3.jpg

x800sm2ap3.jpg

x800sm22ph8.jpg

And you tell me my card's behind the times when it runs this SMOOTHLY? The only reason it won't run is simply because of SM3.0.

bioshock is run off of the unreal 3 engine which is sm3.0 only and created by epic games.
Please don't post crap. Unreal Engine 3 supports SM2.0. Crysis will support SM2.0.

This time around forcing us to upgrade is slightly bullshit. Bioshock isn't revolutionary graphics-wise, that's main reason I'm annoyed. SM2 can handle any Bioshock screenshot smoothly.

Stardog,

Do you have a link to that SM2.0 patch?

It isn't about what SM2.0 can do or not but that developers don't want to support multiple shaders/paths or whatever. At least that is what I've seen them say in interviews.

I really wonder how much rewriting of the shaders they did if any. Just disable parts that were completely incompatible with SM2.0? But it's obvious they don't have it all working from the few screen shots I've seen. SM2.0 can do some of the stuff in SM3.0 but you'll get lower performance and maybe some glitching because it can't do as many instructions.

Wow, I've got to get that patch. Perhaps someone will mod it and create SM 2.0 shaders for things that are missing.

Good thing I've got a 360, no need to upgrade or get some patch

SUCK IT!

please dont post shit..

buy a new graphics card,stop complaining.

He's allowed to complain if he wants the shader model switch has left alot of people owning popular cards out to dry so to speak, wait.. there's a patch for an X800? that will allow the demo to work with SM 2.0 : O?.

He's allowed to complain if he wants the shader model switch has left alot of people owning popular cards out to dry so to speak, wait.. there's a patch for an X800? that will allow the demo to work with SM 2.0 : O?.

In a way yea, its still in progress, but its modified game files to allow your bioshock to run without SM 3.0

Anyone got a list of which cards support 3.0 and which don't?

X1300 and above support it.

GF 6200 or 6600 (?) and above.

Although don't expect those to run it majorly well. I think the x1600 is barely on par with the x800.

EDIT: This is on the box - (Nvidia 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI x1550)

pisses me off that crappier nvidia cards have 3.0 and my x800xl has 2.0 - I still dont plan on buying a new card for a while. Not until it's impossible for games to run on my X800XL or it becomes aged beyond repair. I will squeeze every last bit of power out of it before i give it up!

pisses me off that crappier nvidia cards have 3.0 and my x800xl has 2.0 - I still dont plan on buying a new card for a while. Not until it's impossible for games to run on my X800XL or it becomes aged beyond repair. I will squeeze every last bit of power out of it before i give it up!
You'll be able to use it for Crysis and Unreal Tournament 3.

Generally just lazy Xbox 360 ports you won't be able to.

If I were any of you with SM 2.0 cards, I'd use this as a good excuse to upgrade my gear. =D

Glad you posted this, I have an x800 and was about to buy the game. Kind of dissapointing because the card runs almost all games decently. Guess I'll just stick to my 360 for gaming until I can afford to upgrade.

Anyone got a list of which cards support 3.0 and which don't?
ATI X800/850 (SM2.0b) and older do not. X1300-x1900 series do and HD2400-2900 goes up to SM4.0 with DX10.
Nvidia 5900 (SM2.0) and older do not. 6200-7900 support SM3.0 and 8500-8800 goes up to SM4.0 with DX10.

X1300 and above support it.

GF 6200 or 6600 (?) and above.

Although don't expect those to run it majorly well. I think the x1600 is barely on par with the x800.

EDIT: This is on the box - (Nvidia 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI x1550)
It's odd that they list the X1300 as supported but say excluding the X1550 (same card and exact specs as a X1300 Pro, just renamed). X1050 is also a renamed product but it is not really from the X1000 series and does not support SM3.0. Originally named X550 (SM2.0b).

X800 (high end SM2.0b card 1 generation older) is faster than the X1600 (mid range SM3.0 card). Possibly double the FPS if stressed.

X800 (high end SM2.0b card 1 generation older) is faster than the X1600 (mid range SM3.0 card). Possibly double the FPS if stressed.

Which is a shame, because the X1600 is the highest vid. card that will work for my aging AGP motherboard.

And you tell me my card's behind the times when it runs this SMOOTHLY? The only reason it won't run is simply because of SM3.0.

Please don't post crap. Unreal Engine 3 supports SM2.0. Crysis will support SM2.0.

my god so many ignorant people on here. god damn this is worse then the people who complain about upgrading there whole system for pci-e. if you want to play a game you have to upgrade for it. dont expect to play everything with a 3 year old card. also why are you bringing the crysis into this???i already know it uses at least sm2.0;it runs on the crytek2 engine where bioshock is unreal 3 engine.

my god so many ignorant people on here. god damn this is worse then the people who complain about upgrading there whole system for pci-e. if you want to play a game you have to upgrade for it. dont expect to play everything with a 3 year old card. also why are you bringing the crysis into this???i already know it uses at least sm2.0;it runs on the crytek2 engine where bioshock is unreal 3 engine.
What are you talking about?

And what do engines have to do with it? "Unreal 3 engine" (which doesn't exist), is actually called the Unreal Engine 3, and it will run fine on SM2.0 cards. Bioshock only chose SM3.0 because of the Xbox.

The point is that the X800 range of cards are not running games slowly. It's not like we're using GF4ti4600's chugging along at 2fps then complaining that Bioshock doesn't work. The X800+ can handle Bioshock easily, yet just lacks SM3 support.

Hi, hi, capital letters.

So I got it working with my x850xt pe with the latest sm2.0 fix from that thread on the other site and with the ATI hotfix that is available. A lot of the textures are still missing, but it is more than playable.

On a side note, I just saw an HDMI-enabled 360 Premium in the wild so I will likely pick that up tomorrow because I seriously doubt that the Falcons will be out much before Christmas if at all this year. This one at least has the new heatsink, so it should hopefully not be a problem....

This game is nowhere close to REQUIRING a SM 3.0 as with any other game that came out with requirement of a Sm 3.0. It is sheer laziness of ports, and developers.

This game is nowhere close to REQUIRING a SM 3.0 as with any other game that came out with requirement of a Sm 3.0. It is sheer laziness of ports, and developers.
Actually, afaik it might be the UE3 that's at fault, name me one released UE3 game that supports SM2.0..

I cant believe people think 2k was being lazy,you people are just being cheapskates when you are using a card that is older then 2years you fail on the only fault lies with you, not with the Game Devs.

It seems to me that before DX10 if a developer wanted to keep things simple and cost effective that they would just stick with DX9 (SM2.0) and DX9c (SM3.0). Maybe DX8.1 if they could afford it. The two paths they go with have just moved up to DX10 and DX9c with regular DX9 being that optional 3rd support.

Lawd, what the hell is wrong with some of you people?. Ok even though I'm updating my rig at the end of the month, It's pretty easy to understand not everyone has the time and energy to blast out on a new computer or extra parts to play games that could support SM 2.0 shaders if they had just f***ing bothered to scale it better.

Can some of you people not appreciate that not everyone has the luxury to spend every waking moment saving exclusively for expensive PC hardware?. Obviously to make it worthwhile at the moment you have to invest in something that isn't exactley cheap.

The point here is this clearly can run on SM 2.0 if the developers had bothered with more support, and at their benifit. Appropriately atleast Crytek are bothering to include SM 2.0 support. So lets get this straight, this whole debate is about scalability, and the lack of it with some games like Bioshock.

Back