Another GMan Theory

Hondo

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think we're ever going to get a straight answer about who the G-Man is. He is simply an enigma without an explanation. Even if everything else is finally explained, I don't think G-Man ever will be.

I don't think the G-Man is simply an alien from yet another dimension. He's far too powerful and far too mysterious for that to simply be the case. So much mystery has been allowed to build up about the G-Man, that simply calling him an alien would be a little too easy. We've already killed so many aliens in the game, what makes another one so special? Instead, I think that the G-Man is something of a deity, not really a living being, but something else entirely.

Of course, so far, the only thing I've really seen that is even possibly pointing this way is the shot of the G-Man on the television screen in Anticitizen One. As you can clearly see, there is a large black bird on his shoulder.

This leads me to believe that the G-Man is in fact the Raven, from the mythology of many Native North American tribes. In their mythology, the raven is either the creator of the world, or acts as a messenger, advisor, or as a sort of a guardian. He is neither a hero nor a villian. Instead, he's something of both. Whether he created the world or not, he still interferes in it a lot, guiding the world in the direction he sees fit. On top of this, he also has the ability to shapeshift into human form and whatever form he wants. The line where "he doesn't seem acustomed to human speech" doesn't necessarily mean he's an alien in disguise.

Anyway, that's just my theory.

there could be another dimension and g-man is like the hero of that and if freemans dimension gets to powerful they will go and wipe out all the other dimensions, so g-man brought him back stop the combine from gaining ultimate power

In my opinion, the G-Man is a representative of another dimension that is opposed to the Combine. Since we now know there are many dimensions, there are inevitably going to be ones that resist the Combine.

Hondo said:
Personally, I don't think we're ever going to get a straight answer about who the G-Man is. He is simply an enigma without an explanation. Even if everything else is finally explained, I don't think G-Man ever will be.

I don't think the G-Man is simply an alien from yet another dimension. He's far too powerful and far too mysterious for that to simply be the case. So much mystery has been allowed to build up about the G-Man, that simply calling him an alien would be a little too easy. We've already killed so many aliens in the game, what makes another one so special? Instead, I think that the G-Man is something of a deity, not really a living being, but something else entirely.

Of course, so far, the only thing I've really seen that is even possibly pointing this way is the shot of the G-Man on the television screen in Anticitizen One. As you can clearly see, there is a large black bird on his shoulder.

This leads me to believe that the G-Man is in fact the Raven, from the mythology of many Native North American tribes. In their mythology, the raven is either the creator of the world, or acts as a messenger, advisor, or as a sort of a guardian. He is neither a hero nor a villian. Instead, he's something of both. Whether he created the world or not, he still interferes in it a lot, guiding the world in the direction he sees fit. On top of this, he also has the ability to shapeshift into human form and whatever form he wants. The line where "he doesn't seem acustomed to human speech" doesn't necessarily mean he's an alien in disguise.

Anyway, that's just my theory.

That is quite a cool theory!

I like that theory my own addition is if anyone watches star trek:The Next Generation the G-man reminds me of Q from star trek.

Hondo said:
I sure hope you’re right. The enigma they built up around him is an almost unsurpassable hype. In the end I hope we know what his intentions were but not who he is or why he realized his intentions in such a manner. I like your theory on the raven though!

TheCorps said:
I like that theory my own addition is if anyone watches star trek:The Next Generation the G-man reminds me of Q from star trek.

With a click of the fingers, Freeman is transported to a Borg Cube :thumbs:

[SARCASM]For all those who doubt the real truth ;)

Caution - this gif has power to spoil the entire universe. :cheese:[/SARCASM]

" Maybe G-Man (and his race) can foresee the future and use people like Gordon and Adrian at specific timespans to make a lot of difference, of course, G-Man also interfere personally, probably setting up the best scheme to ensure that his "pawns" complete the job.

Or maybe G-Man cannot see the future, but only holds Gordon and Adrian until he thinks it's the best time, and then he "unleash" them.

From what I see, the G-Man behavior is not only "sit and watch" he does a lot of things and talk to a lot of people throughout the game, maybe he's playing his part to ensure that Gordon and Adrian do what he wants them to do, but he's not sure if they'll survive or not. Remember, he can teleport to anywhere, maybe it's why everything is set up so perfectly when Gordon arrives to certain locations.

He uses this "ability" to teleport and "slow-time" to act like a "builder" of facts while they are happening, I don't believe he goes "backwards" in time, since if he could, everything could be much more easier for him. And maybe the Combine has a way to prevent him from using his abilities when he's on their domains. After all, we never see the G-Man wandering on Xen or the Citadel (we do see him on the end of HL2, but that's only after the "dark fusion reactor" and Breen, are out of the way, also we see him on Xen at the end of HL1, but only after the Nihilant is killed)

edit: I'd like to point out, that G-Man is working against the Combine because some other "race" bought his services in a way that the Combine could not. Maybe he was just like Gordon, and then succeed in so many endeavors, that now he's a major player, and not just a pawn, but still an employee for some greater "mystery". "

I posted that on another thread, but reading your theory, just gave me some ideas to rebuild mine.

One thing that really bothers me, is the ending speech of the G-Man on Opposing Force. That gave the hint that the G-Man was somewhat a "normal" guy (maybe a "normal" guy on another dimension) that faced similar perils that Gordon and Adrian had. Since Half-Life is all about Quantum Physics, Teleports, Dimensions and strange worlds (just look at Xen, Nihilant, and Breen's speech at the end of Half-Life 2, the "...things impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary"). Maybe in the game, our own world is part of a "Greater Mystery", and we're the pawns used to fight the war against the Combine, and Earth is really important to the Combine, since Breen was trying to assure the Combine leader: "I still can deliver Earth, but not without your help". Earth is somewhat important to the Combine, and the great mystery about the G-Man is for "who or what" he works. And what could have bought his "services" in a way that the Combine couldn't. Maybe the answer lies in this analogy to Gods and powerful beings. The Combine must be after something, and Earth is the Key to that something.

Hey but do you think when we find out what and who the G-man is it will be a dissapointment, cause like Hondo said, valve has been building the mystery around him to a really high level, and then there is a large chance that it will be dissapointment when we find out his identity or we will have guessed it by then, the only option I can see is that they won't reveal who he is, but that would be a dissapointment to me to. I presonally think the yshould have focused more on builing a thought or idea behind the series, like genes or memes in the mgs series, cause those things leave a lot for speculation but don't leed to dissapointments where as a character might, cause when/ if we find out who/what he is he would have been introduced probably more than 8 years earlier and the expectations are going to be high.

The G-Man Compilation

G-Man is Gordon-Man:
He is Gordon from the future trying to save himself and the world from the Combine.

G-Man is Gabe-Man:
He is a creation from VALVE to make fans to dwell around a mystery that essencially will never be uncovered, so that they'll keep buying Half-Life sequels and expansions hoping to see the truth someday.

G-Man is God-Man:
He is some kind of god or extremely powerful being, playing with time, people and worlds, probably because he thinks it's fun.

G-Man is Great-Man:
He is a normal guy that became an employee for some extremely powerful beings trying to make "profit" from struggles between dimensions.

G-Man is Good-Man:
He is good guy trying to save the world, but many misunderstands him, probably because he have problems when speaking english and never explain what's really going on.

G-Man is Government-Man:
He works for a secret agency like M.I.B and TIME COPS that try to prevent aliens from destroying the world completely.

G-Man is G-Man:
He is a guy that no one knows his purpose, who or what he is, and all that we know about him is vague and unconclusive.

:LOL:

RAMBO-PM said:
The G-Man Compilation

G-Man is Gordon-Man:
He is Gordon from the future trying to save himself and the world from the Combine.

G-Man is Gabe-Man:
He is a creation from VALVE to make fans to dwell around a mystery that essencially will never be uncovered, so that they'll keep buying Half-Life sequels and expansions hoping to see the truth someday.

G-Man is God-Man:
He is some kind of god or extremely powerful being, playing with time, people and worlds, probably because he thinks it's fun.

G-Man is Great-Man:
He is a normal guy that became an employee for some extremely powerful beings trying to make "profit" from struggles between dimensions.

G-Man is Good-Man:
He is good guy trying to save the world, but many misunderstands him, probably because he have problems when speaking english and never explain what's really going on.

G-Man is Government-Man:
He works for a secret agency like M.I.B and TIME COPS that try to prevent aliens from destroying the world completely.

G-Man is G-Man:
He is a guy that no one knows his purpose, who or what he is, and all that we know about him is vague and unconclusive.

:LOL:
You forgot about the G-Man = Alien theory!

I believe the Alien part would likely be the "God-Man"... maybe, you could change "guy" with "guy from another planet or dimension" :p It would be mostly the same thing.

Well... based on what happened to Gordon and Adrian, it seems like the G-Man is collecting "agents" of a sort to affect events in a direct, highly visible, method while the G-Man himself prefers to alter events behind the scenes (sort of like Cancer Man from X-Files). And based on what he says about "services" and "offers", maybe the G-Man has an interdimensional mercenary company of some sort, taking the side of the highest bidder, and Gordon and Adrian are his "employees" in Earth's dimension. Adrian Shepard could soon play a part since Gordon already had his turn.

Maybe the next expansion will have Adrian commanding a company of resistance troops in another city?

Back