Another I just played CS:S thread

umop

Reaction score
Well I just got back from the only local cafe playing CS:S.

It was surprisingly empty there. There were like 20-30 people there, but only about 3-4 others were playing CS:S. The comp specs were advertised as Athlon XP 3000+, 1024 MB RAM, 9800XT, but the game seemed to run a little laggy.

I was running it on 1024x768 with 4xAA and 6xAF, and that was too stressful (30 fps average I'd guess) so I turned it down to plain old 10x7 without AA or any AF, it helped but was still a bit laggy feeling (60 fps with dips down to around 40). The mouses there were some standard 3 button opticals, but the mouse lag was insane and the sensitivity was rediculiously low. I don't know if the cafe's mouses were set low or if CS:S is by default slow and unresponsive, but that was upsetting. After that I finally got into the game. I couldn't join any online games simply because they were all 100+ ping (bandwidth @ cafe was consumed by ppl playing DOTA), so I started a LAN game with my friend so we could experiment with the game we'd driven 45 minutes for (and got lost).

So we start playing, and I am trying to not notice the crappy mouse lag and shitty fps on these beast computers. I try shooting, and no matter what gun I use, the recoil seems (with a ping of 9 and 40-60 fps, seemed to be a cap at 60 even with fps_max at 300, vsync off so its not the monitor Hz) very unreliable and very random and crappy. The AK rate of fire is reduced greatly and doesn't fire right when you click the mouse, and it feels like crap. Actually now that I think of it, no gun fired when you clicked, it took a second. It doesnt shoot where you aim it seems, you just have to aim in someone's general direction and spray. The pings were fine, the fps was tolerable, but the general laggy feeling was rediculous. When you crouch you get like stuck for a second and can't really move. AWP is very nice, very accurate and fun. Para has been powered up, pump shotty is powered up. Pistols are useless at mid-long range as usual. The crappy knife model is still there. Physics are INSANELY cool. No shield obviously. The flashbang is really neat. Grenades are kinda cool, but when you get touched by one you get slowed down, very annoying. Smoke is kinda neat. Couldn't get rid of the gay vgui menus. Graphically it was very nice.

Now please don't take this criticism too seriously because this could have very well been just a bad cafe.

My overall opinion was more or less undecided. I'm not sure if the cafe sucked or not, because it did not feel ANYTHING like 1.6 or any other version of CS. It was very unresponsive and delayed (everything generally). I really hope that the cafe just sucked and the bandwidth was shitty and the computers weren't as advertised. I highly doubt the comps were shit, but they did have ass loads of games installed which is a factor. Bandwidth was probly a big factor, because there seemed to be little of it. (1.5 MB/sec up and down internet, probly 100 Mbps LAN shared with all the ppl). It was fun, but there was absolutely NO skill involved. Just spray and spam nades. Aiming accurately did not grand any kills, and when spraying it was very hard to determine where shots were landing, so it was impossible to correct over-compensating for recoil. The crosshairs were VERY laggy at expanding/contracting (remember this was like 6-12 ping) making it impossible to use them as an accuracy guide.

Again, this might just be the crappy cafe. It looked very nice but there's no way this is how it was meant to feel.

Everyone I've heard has said that the game has been incredible responsive and accurate. Its probably your café or your(their) mouse. Either that or the people were in too much shock that they where playing CS:S to notice the sensitivity.

Nice Explanation. It was good that you gave the criticism because it would allow Valve (if viewing) to make changes and whatnot. Hope it is as good as everyone says it is. I also hope that systems can run it good (positive mine can).

Hungry_Gamer said:
Nice Explanation. It was good that you gave the criticism because it would allow Valve (if viewing) to make changes and whatnot. Hope it is as good as everyone says it is. I also hope that systems can run it good (positive mine can).

Yeah I'd say if those are really your specs you have nothing to worry about lol. I wish it felt like the CS I've grown to love, that is what I was really expecting. Maybe it does, but now I'm nervous because of the experience. Hopefully things get worked out, I guess only time will tell.

umop said:
Yeah I'd say if those are really your specs you have nothing to worry about lol. I wish it felt like the CS I've grown to love, that is what I was really expecting. Maybe it does, but now I'm nervous because of the experience. Hopefully things get worked out, I guess only time will tell.

"You poke something long enough, it will eventually bleed." 'Sall I'm saying.

Oh god......I sure hope it was the cafe

My system specs: Shitty motherboard, Radeon 9100 pro, 512 mb Ram, 17" monitor

i think that there could be a viruses on the disc and the game slowed down all the time.With comp's u described game should work smooth.I think that there could be a couple reasons,but not the hardware ones.

Umop

I kind of feel bad for you, yet in the inside Im laughing my ass off that you actually drove 45 minutes just to play a game... With the gas bill from there and back, Im sure you could have gotten yourself a copy of CZ on the net for like 20 bucks easily...

ANYWAYS... Ive been hearing CS:S is very responsive then CS1.6 is. Im guessing the cyber cafe is just simply bad. But thats just my hunch. So far what you have said it just seems like the computer was simply aweful. The lagging part of the mice just maybe the mice needs some cleaning. I use to get that alot until I threw it out my window and got a new one. I think you should probably try bringing your own next time....

Thats just my two cents...

wako said:
Umop

I kind of feel bad for you, yet in the inside Im laughing my ass off that you actually drove 45 minutes just to play a game... With the gas bill from there and back, Im sure you could have gotten yourself a copy of CZ on the net for like 20 bucks easily...

ANYWAYS... Ive been hearing CS:S is very responsive then CS1.6 is. Im guessing the cyber cafe is just simply bad. But thats just my hunch. So far what you have said it just seems like the computer was simply aweful. The lagging part of the mice just maybe the mice needs some cleaning. I use to get that alot until I threw it out my window and got a new one. I think you should probably try bringing your own next time....

Thats just my two cents...

Optical mice don't need cleaning. So what if I drove 45 mins to play some CS:Source? A few bucks spent on gas isn't a great deal to me, you need to realize not everyone is on a $5 a week allowance from Mom. Me and my friends got bored and drove up there to play it for a couple hours as a social event, not some deprived sickly looking 30 year old bald fat toothless man with nothing better to do. The computers were not aweful, but it is possible that they were terribly fragmented (there was tons of disk activity randomly, freshly rebooted with a gig of ram, so it's not virtual memory). Maybe next time you should pitch in 7 or 8 cents.

this is exactly how it was at the cafe i was at tonight...i didnt play anymore than 20 minutes..i went back to playing 1.6

thanks for the good feedback umop. One thing I don't understand, and I hear it a lot is your comment 'it helped but was still a bit laggy feeling (60 fps with dips down to around 40)'. I always thought that the human eye couldn't see over thirty frames per second?

Am i just wrong about this?

I understand ppl want high framerates cos then when they dip in high action parts its not noticable.

No-one reply to jonnyaps comment about fps, ok? No-one!

We don't need to waste another 30 pages discussing this when somebody has some interesting info to divulge. The eyes seeing in frames is an erroneous concept so don't waste your time.

That had to be done jonnyapps, you don't know what those comments kick off :LOL:

On the topic:

This is what I feared, a while back I contacted valve about mouse lag in modern D3D games, because it doesn't matter how good your rig is, some games and some configs will always be lagged. They assured me they had got rid of this with some lines of code to change the way threading worked with Source.

I guess I will have to wait til Wednesday to see if it is truly b0rked or truly fixed. :/

Crusader said:
No-one reply to jonnyaps comment about fps, ok? No-one!

We don't need to waste another 30 pages discussing this when somebody has some interesting info to divulge. The eyes seeing in frames is an erroneous concept so don't waste your time.

That had to be done jonnyapps, you don't know what those comments kick off :LOL:

On the topic:

This is what I feared, a while back I contacted valve about mouse lag in modern D3D games, because it doesn't matter how good your rig is, some games and some configs will always be lagged. They assured me they had got rid of this with some lines of code to change the way threading worked with Source.

I guess I will have to wait til Wednesday to see if it is truly b0rked or truly fixed. :/

i'm sorry but if we're talking about an interesting report and looking at the guys comments I would like to know how something can lag when it is running at a higher frame rate than my vision. Probably hints at a diff problem in the game. I think people have the right to decide themselves whether they'd like to reply to my message.

Fair enough, I just didn't want people to start flaming you...

Edit: And to answer your question, input is for some reason given a lower priority thread and so doesn't update as fast as the screen, so the fps has nothing to do with it.

Crusader said:
Fair enough, I just didn't want people to start flaming you...

Edit: And to answer your question, input is for some reason given a lower priority thread and so doesn't update as fast as the screen, so the fps has nothing to do with it.

:cheers:

Back