Another question on HL2 ordering via steam [Help please]

Cujo

Reaction score
It has been discussed before, no doubt. But this particular question is hard to find in all those "steam topics" out there.
Tried it.
So situation looks like this:
I have preloaded HL2 in home. In work i have steam too and logged with "home" account. I want to purcharse game from work. Is it safe? When i come back home i hope steam don't gonna tell me that ordering IP is diffrent or something.
I'm pretty sure i'm too careful but i'm not want to loose money.
So anyone have tried it?

Can't say i've tried it or know the answer but i'm quite certain the different IP's wont be a problem.

You can use a steam account anywhere on the planet and they'll be letting you download HL2 as many times as you want if it detects no HL2 but your account has access to HL2 so i think this will work (99% sure).

Cujo said:
It has been discussed before, no doubt. But this particular question is hard to find in all those "steam topics" out there.
Tried it.
So situation looks like this:
I have preloaded HL2 in home. In work i have steam too and logged with "home" account. I want to purcharse game from work. Is it safe? When i come back home i hope steam don't gonna tell me that ordering IP is diffrent or something.
I'm pretty sure i'm too careful but i'm not want to loose money.
So anyone have tried it?

why not just order it from home?
besides, if u are gonna play HL2 at home then it doesn't make alot of sense to order it at work since Steam will immediately start the pre-loading of HL2 and downloading of CS:Source after ur order has been confirmed.

Unless he has a fast work internet connection and he burns the files to dvd. Or something...

You can purchase a game from Steam from wherever you like. As long as you log in to Steam using the relevant account, you will be fine.

As long as you use your steam account, it wont be a problem....same thing when people get new pc's or reformat or whatever, it knows you have paid and will download the files if needed.....

i love scotch

Just hope that Steam exists for as long as you want to play half-life2.

If Valve for any reason were to fall apart, I hope they have a plan for letting everyone play half-life2 without having to use steam.

You should definitely be able to order at one IP and play at another. What happens if you:
have dial-up?
have broadband with a dynamic ip?
change ISPs?

or

order from the office but play at home?

There's no reason an IP address should prevent you from getting what you're paying for.

Your account is tied to your email address, not your IP.

Yes, your steam account has it purchased you can play from anywhere. It doesn't care what IP you ordered it from. I have Steam at home and at work with the game preloaded in both places. When it comes out on the 16th I will unlock the game at work since I plan on buying it on my way to work that morning. (I wonder how much work I will get done that day) When I go home after work I will only have to log in to my Steam account and download the last little bit and I am ready to play.

HL2 works the same through Steam as all other games on steam. It is bound to your account which is just a username and password.

Back