Another SOURCE Bug!

wassup

Reaction score
Yep another bug!

I selected "Dont not automatically update this game" for HL2 after i got ofline working. The only game i want updated is CS:S, but today as i was downloading the CS:S addon it started downloading some HL2 patch crap.

A week ago i formated my comp because one of the HL2 patches lags HL2 for me. Before i formated the game was smoth but i downloaded one of their patches for HL2 and then i had mega lag. Now i cant play CS:S because i'm getting the patch and when it's finished i am assuming i will have the lag problem again for HL2.

I will never buy a game that uses source again, who is with me?

It probably updated Half-Life 2 because the patch included updates to the Source engine which are not Counter-Strike Source specific.

If you notice there is no "updating Source engine" download message so it just ties any engine updates to Half-Life 2.

If there were no engine updates and only Half-Life 2 content updates then it wouldn't download anything for Half-Life 2 most likely.

Mabye the recent update fixed it the lag for you.

wassup said:
Yep another bug!

I selected "Dont not automatically update this game" for HL2 after i got ofline working. The only game i want updated is CS:S, but today as i was downloading the CS:S addon it started downloading some HL2 patch crap.

A week ago i formated my comp because one of the HL2 patches lags HL2 for me. Before i formated the game was smoth but i downloaded one of their patches for HL2 and then i had mega lag. Now i cant play CS:S because i'm getting the patch and when it's finished i am assuming i will have the lag problem again for HL2.

What's wrong with Source? And I don't understand how downloading an update is a bug either. You've most likely had JUST enough time to come here and post before the update finished downloading.

wassup said:

ah yes, thats a completely logical solution! :thumbs:

wassup said:
Yep another bug!

oh grow up.

But the guy has a point. If you say 'don't update', then it shouldn't update.

So you hate Source, because you really want to play CounterStrike: Source?

Five bucks says a bad PC and/or ineptitude are at fault here, and not the game.

wassup said:
A week ago i formated my comp because one of the HL2 patches lags HL2 for me.
You formated because HL2 lags and youre blaming VALVe??

If formatting fixes anything, blame Microsoft. If deleting Steam content and redownloading/reinstalling fixes something, then blame VALVe. And if they did create a patch that made HL2 run bad, dont you think they'd pick up on it and release a fix?

wassup said:
Im not..... if u think that it is the source engines fault that ur obviously shit pc is lagging, then u dont deserve to own a source game in the first place :flame:

I sometimes think Valve shouldnt bother with 50% of the community, they're just whiney good for nothing whiners.

Eunoch said:
Im not..... if u think that it is the source engines fault that ur obviously shit pc is lagging, then u dont deserve to own a source game in the first place :flame:
Yeah, it must be his PC because we all know there are no lagging problems with this game. Jeez, what is it with some of you people? It's like living in some kind of Valve-worshipping cult sometimes.

OK!

i had the game running sweet (NO LAG!)!, after one of the first patches; My game was not playable, there was lag and the FPS went below 30 all the time when anything was moving on screen.

After format and re-install everything was OK, like the first time i installed.

This is why i dont want any of the Patches, i use the HL2 "Monitor" and it was a HL2 patch.

(also i did not intall new software and there was no Virus/Worms on my computer)

But you have to know there are going to be these types posts when you make a forum with a beer in your hand ;0)

/I understand i wont get any normal posts on this site.

koopa said:
Yeah, it must be his PC because we all know there are no lagging problems with this game. Jeez, what is it with some of you people? It's like living in some kind of Valve-worshipping cult sometimes.

Dude if you realize, more than 90% of the time when people have issue with anything due to steam its their pc. People say they can "run" a machine, but obviously some can't at all.

Oh btw, you just turned off hl2 updating, not the source engine, it will be listed as hl2 being updated but its just the source engine, VALVe should really have one that say "Source Engine" in the monitor so we know whats updating.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Dude if you realize, more than 90% of the time when people have issue with anything due to steam its their pc. People say they can "run" a machine, but obviously some can't at all.

Oh btw, you just turned off hl2 updating, not the source engine, it will be listed as hl2 being updated but its just the source engine, VALVe should really have one that say "Source Engine" in the monitor so we know whats updating.

Exactly, go to steam forums and look at the people having problems they say stuff like this guy.

System Specs
Athlon XP 2800 (Barton Core)
512 MB DDR-400 (I think the more expensive stuff )
Athlon 9800 Pro (R360 Core) (Sometimes Clock to XT, but stutters netherless)
S3 5.1 Surround sound (btw, why's my bass not work on CS Source?)

This guy with the perhaps more expensive RAM overclocks his video card and his 5.1 doesn't work. With computer wizards like this it must be valves buggy software. Damn you valve!

I think of not one, but TWO of the mods basically call you a stupid idiot, you're up a certain creek without a certain instrument.

wassup said:
OK!

i had the game running sweet (NO LAG!)!, after one of the first patches; My game was not playable, there was lag and the FPS went below 30 all the time when anything was moving on screen.

After format and re-install everything was OK, like the first time i installed.

This is why i dont want any of the Patches, i use the HL2 "Monitor" and it was a HL2 patch.

(also i did not intall new software and there was no Virus/Worms on my computer)

But you have to know there are going to be these types posts when you make a forum with a beer in your hand ;0)

/I understand i wont get any normal posts on this site.

Just type "mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware 0" Not sure what the command is exactly but it's something like that. It disables the "stutter" patch they released like a week after release.

CS:S uses the Source engine. It's launched using HL2.exe. To update the engine, it updates CS:S, HL2, HL2DM and HL:S - because they all use the same engine core.

Rocket science, it is not.

Pi Mu Rho said:
CS:S uses the Source engine. It's launched using HL2.exe. To update the engine, it updates CS:S, HL2,
No wonder people are confused if CS:S loads using HL2.exe. Why didn't they call it Source.exe and pass -game hl2, -game css or whatever?
Rocket science, it is not.
But it would be a lot easier if Steam made all this clear. This little fault is in the Steam interface. You know, it's ok to admit that Valve aren't perfect, we're all friends here.

Don't attempt to patronise me - it'll just earn you some unwelcome attention.

koopa said:
Jeez, what is it with some of you people? It's like living in some kind of Valve-worshipping cult sometimes.

Amen. :cheers:

well i for one agree with the original poster no update should mean no effin update. steam has consistently turned on automatic update even though i disable it. i had it turned off because i heard of problems with the patch and what did steam do download the friggin patch anyway and funny how i had no stutter before and now i do. that is why did not want the patch. i don't personally care for valve's "we know whats good for you" attitude. try it yourself disable automatic update and watch it turn itself on whenever steam updates.

eno801 said:
well i for one agree with the original poster no update should mean no effin update.

You can't turn off the source engine updates, so you and the original post lose, nice try though.

Obviously, some people are having trouble with this concept.

HL2 was not updated yesterday. CS:S and the Source engine were. HL2 uses the Source engine. So do CS:S, HL2DM and HL:S. Therefore, when the engine receives an update, it appears to be updating those games.

If this still confuses you, look at the Steampowered news page - it'll tell you exactly what has been updated.

koopa said:

lol, i know seriously. Didn't you guys notice he said it worked "FINE" before the patch, and horrible after. And you guyz still say its his comp!? :LOL: Sad man, just sad.. ;(

I say don't let him buy any other Source games. That way he won't have to bless us with his complaints about the game anymore. Sounds good to me! :cheers:

Pi Mu Rho said:
Don't attempt to patronise me - it'll just earn you some unwelcome attention.
Referring to me? Even as a moderator, your comments get exactly the same amount of respect and consideration as everyone elses. Your original 'rocket science' comment was uncalled for.

I disagree. It doesn't take very much to see the underlying logic behind the updates, or to visit the Steampowered news page for information on the updates.

It's a long, long way from rocket science.

koopa said:
Referring to me? Even as a moderator, your comments get exactly the same amount of respect and consideration as everyone elses. Your original 'rocket science' comment was uncalled for.
Another thing, moderators aren't called to be "angels".
But heaven forbid they make a mild comment that is anything but flattering :(

To the thread starter:
More power to ya'.

wassup said:

Omg it downloaded a patch that takes about 10 seconds to dl run for the hills, really :flame:

Most people complain about games not being patched, ohh btw these patches have almost got rid of bugs like the audio one and made loading times quicker

de_prodigy Rocks! :sniper:

fine if and when i have those problems then i will download not just because valve says so. i didn't need the damn engine updated. my game worked great out of the box (excepting the steam verification fiasco) and now it does not. i would like a little choice in the matter. how hard is that to comprehend. i a glad the patch fixed some things for some people. i did not need it. my game was working great and i do not play online. why did valve shove the patch down my throat. you guys are probably the type to tell a woman being raped to just lay back and enjoy it.

wassup said:
Yep another bug!

That last statement says it all 'Let's not buy any source games because I'm such a n00b, I can't figure out the problem! '

I am having the same problem. I didnt have stuttering untill the fix. That happens sometimes. Patches can easily make something worse (Americas Army).

If there is a problem its with Steam not Source. Steam is the medium Valve uses to update its games, not Source. I agree though that it would be nice to have a say. ;)

eno801 said:
fine if and when i have those problems then i will download not just because valve says so. i didn't need the damn engine updated. my game worked great out of the box (excepting the steam verification fiasco) and now it does not. i would like a little choice in the matter. how hard is that to comprehend. i a glad the patch fixed some things for some people. i did not need it. my game was working great and i do not play online. why did valve shove the patch down my throat. you guys are probably the type to tell a woman being raped to just lay back and enjoy it.
If you don't want the patch, turn off auto update for all games.

And yes, you do need the engine upgrade, or else there will be version mismatches and you will be unable to play online.

did you even read my post?? i don't play online and i did turn off automatic updates, but it turned itself on with the steam update. oh and another great thing is to disable automatic updates you have to go online and by then there is no way to stop the update. i will give you 100 bucks if you can show me how to disable automatic updates while in offline mode.

Back