Antlions arent from Zen, arent from the combines planet, so where are they from?

portal storms or population control (placed strategicly to stop people from leaving the city). The way I see it anyway.

Dagobert said:
Please god help me.

THE COMBINE HAVE COLONISED MANY PLANETS.

THE COMBINE IS NOT FROM XEN.

XEN WAS COLONISED LIKE EARTH.

ANTLIONS COME FROM ONE OF THE OTHER PLANETS THE COMBINE HAVE COLONISED, AS DID RACE X IN OPP FOR.

Is everything so hard to understand for you kids? Do you go through life confused?

Way to make yourself look like a complete asshole.

It's Xen not Zen and they come from one of the planets colonised by the Combine.

What's all this about "thumpers" at the bottom of the citadel? That looked a lot like digging or mining to me. I think that makes a lot more sense. Ant lions don't burrow too deeply, or the thumpers used by both combine and rebel to keep them away from their bases would be virtually useless. They would invade the city. Besides ten or twenty feet down, they'd hit bedrock, and it is just too much easier for them to quit digging at that point for it to be worth it to them. Remember, they aren't intelligent, so they don't know that it really would help them out a lot.

I agree with jimmyjam. We didn't see a whole lot of the Xen universe. Very little, in fact. I think it would be foolish to assume so dogmatically that they weren't from there. I think there are signs that they were. After all, we have a species whose members get much bigger than most insects, but they have a "queen" much like insects.

Where have we seen that before? Oh, yeah. Xen. The headcrabs. The Gonarch.

Even though they come from a different kind of geographic area, they follow the same pattern as at least one major species from Xen.

BTW, why are we all assuming that they can't live perfectly happily in a big rock? They showed us in Nova Prospekt that they're perfectly capable of burrowing through solid concrete. Why not rock? They probably wouldn't do it if nothing was compelling them and stay in the much easier to deal with sand, but they can deal with rock if they want to.

How is it that no one has mentioned the Vortigaunt's ability to get the pheropods from the guard?

So either the antlions have been around since or shortly after Black Mesa, when the Vortigaunts came to Earth and they have since learnt about the ant lions (seems kind of doubtful), or the antlions come from Xen and the Vortigaunts, through centuries of dealing with them, know about the pheropods and how to control them etc.

But, due to VALVe's shocking ability with giving out plot details (ie, none whatsoever - little newsprint headlines != story) we don't know. It would have been so easy for them to have that vortigaunt say something such as "the antlions have long been our enemies on Xen, until we discovered this..." or ANYTHING. But no. We're left in the lurch, as always.

But, my guess is that they're from Xen, or that the Vortigaunts have had previous contact with them somehow (perhaps if Race X is from another planet, perhaps Race X have had contact with Xen before and the ant lions are from Race X's planet?).

i know this isn't really about personal opinion, but as no concrete fact has been presented yet i will go with that..

Possibly, the combine has researched (or found some previous black mesa research) about this particular type of bug, wich resisted genetic, or external mutation, and found a very good, self-sustaining way of guarding the beach, and in the meantime developing some sort of containment to control them. As for the resistance using pheropods to control them, and the combine not could result of the fact that the combine observed the guards as they called antlions to aid them, and the combine had no reason to because they were happy enough with the use of the antlions they already had. Now regarding the ability of the vortigaunt to extract theese pheropods....that is really a "mistery" why NO other vortigaunt can recharge you as the one in the canals did? How is it that they are the first ones to call gordon "the free man" do they have some mental advancement? (lol) Are they just bad at pronouncing names? Are they secretely trying to dominate our minds and enslave us to deliver a controlled, obidient specie to Xen? Or they just like candy? To tell the truth how much do we really know about them? in HL1 they were named "slaves" so wtf?

Yes, I have strayed from the original line of thinking a LOT....

No, I am not high right now.....

NeverstilL said:
judging by the fact that ant lions are NOT made up THEY ARE REALLIFE BUGS! then they are prolly just from earth.....as they are in real life look here

LOL!

i actually think they came through the portal storm which must of continued even after black mesa was nuked, coz if u play the add-ons to half-life different species come though the warp from many worlds not just stuff from "xen". some creatures which are in opposing force are not from xen , as when u play xen in half life u dont see those "new" creatures in xen. :imu:

Dagobert said:
Please god help me.

THE COMBINE HAVE COLONISED MANY PLANETS.

THE COMBINE IS NOT FROM XEN.

XEN WAS COLONISED LIKE EARTH.

ANTLIONS COME FROM ONE OF THE OTHER PLANETS THE COMBINE HAVE COLONISED, AS DID RACE X IN OPP FOR.

Is everything so hard to understand for you kids? Do you go through life confused?
Please shut up, that is all specualtion, the aliens in op4 gave no hint to them being colonized by the combine, they were just a side effect of havinf an interplanetary force coming to earth through interdimensional portals. It says in strategy guide that they came because they were drawn by the portals, and then decided to colonize earth for it's valuable resources. So just be quiet unless you know what you are talking about, but i do agree that the ant lions were probably brought by the Combine :)

Fenbab said:
i know this isn't really about personal opinion,

Yes, I have strayed from the original line of thinking a LOT....

No, I am not high right now.....

i dont think that the antlions are from xen, as the antlions require large expanses to sand to move through and breed in. therefore they cannt be from xen because xen is made up of floating islands with no central plane or solid matter underneath. the xen world rocks/land are made of very hard metallic elements and therefore it would be impossible for the antlions to burrow or breed in xen. the life forms from xen are the vauntagaunts of course and thier big alien grunt cousins which utilise the metallic elements to grow armour when they are in eggs.

the vauntaguants are slaves as described in the guides. probally to the combine or thier own xen superiors but what ever they fighting alongside resistance for thier own freedom.

the vautaguants have been on earth 10yr and so with thier stange but wonderful abilities , i bet they discovered the antlion trick. they been on earth with em long enough

Possibly, the combine has researched (or found some previous black mesa research) about this particular type of bug, wich resisted genetic, or external mutation, and found a very good, self-sustaining way of guarding the beach, and in the meantime developing some sort of containment to control them. As for the resistance using pheropods to control them, and the combine not could result of the fact that the combine observed the guards as they called antlions to aid them, and the combine had no reason to because they were happy enough with the use of the antlions they already had. Now regarding the ability of the vortigaunt to extract theese pheropods....that is really a "mistery" why NO other vortigaunt can recharge you as the one in the canals did? How is it that they are the first ones to call gordon "the free man" do they have some mental advancement? (lol) Are they just bad at pronouncing names? Are they secretely trying to dominate our minds and enslave us to deliver a controlled, obidient specie to Xen? Or they just like candy? To tell the truth how much do we really know about them? in HL1 they were named "slaves" so wtf?

Here's a thought: The combine never found out about the pheropods because the vortigaunts never told them. I mean, it's not as if they were ever asked their opinion on anything while enslaved.

IMO, the fact that the Vorts know how to extract the pheropods is one of the best signs that the ant lions really are from Xen.

Personally, since all the other new wildlife were from Xen, and everything the Combine brought was kept under tight control, I think it's just best to assume that the ant lions are from Xen until we're given a good reason to think otherwise.

It's also interesting to no the biological appearance of the striders, dropships and gunships.

Plus their body-part models are named, among other things "eye". Perhaps these are combine invadees.

The problem with the antlions planted by combine thing is that the antlions are a problem for the combine. They never load them in shells like the headcrabs. They have to set up thumpers to keep them away from country outposts.

i dont think that the antlions are from xen, as the antlions require large expanses to sand to move through and breed in. therefore they cannt be from xen because xen is made up of floating islands with no central plane or solid matter underneath. the xen world rocks/land are made of very hard metallic elements and therefore it would be impossible for the antlions to burrow or breed in xen. the life forms from xen are the vauntagaunts of course and thier big alien grunt cousins which utilise the metallic elements to grow armour when they are in eggs.

First, we didn't see all of Xen. Only a small part. Look at how varied our ecosystems are on the Earth alone. It could very well be that there are sandy areas in Xen. (Nothing like Earth sand, of course, but still extremely finely ground rocks and minerals.)

Second, even if that is how the rest of Xen is, that doesn't mean the ant lions couldn't be from there. They burrowed through the foundations of Nova Prospekt like butter. They certainly prefer sand, because it's much easier, and perhaps they've come to rely on the beach ecosystem. But that doesn't mean there's something in their physiology that requires them to live in sand rather than rock.

why does everyone assume there's no sand on Xen? In HL1 the headcrabs used to burrow in sand (in fact there's still code in HL2 for headcrab burrowing), so it's very possible there are sand-like environments on Xen.

I can't believe no one's posted this yet..

AntLion 3 Pack
GREAT FOR:
-Replenishing your AntLion Farm.
-Spicing up your Zen Garden.
Want to add some new life to your Zen Garden literally?
Then add some Ant Lions for some fascinating fun!

http://www.antlionfarms.com/buy_antlions

TechnoHippyChic said:
I can't believe no one's posted this yet..

QUOTE]

yes they have

and its xen not zen , for teh last time.

i have played the original game and its add-ons again just recently.

and i am sure that it would be very unlikely that antlions come from xen, xen really is all rock except for small amounts of sand in pools and streams.

the antlions look most closely related to race x with thier physiology and behaviour. most race x creatures are insect like in intelligence and appearence. only one race x species seems to stand out from the rest in terms of intelligence.

so with most being insect like i think antlions comming from race x is most likely. remeber the big insects that lived in the sewers in opp-force

Back