Any good games to play in this hiatus?

T

TheWitePony

For those of us who have the patience, and respect, to let valve take there time and finish the game when they can. Are there any games out there worth buying to play in the meantime while we wait?

Man now is when I wish Metal Gear Solid 3 came out this year. It would hold me over so long. I dunno when Stalker comes out, that'll hold me over. Also ummmmm...... Vice City multiplayer is so fun. That'll be good for a month of entertainment. Any other games. I dunno Halo 2's release, or Max Payne 2 or Deus Ex 2, those other games

warcraft 3 battlechest, bf1942, cs 1.6, max payne 2, rainbow six 3 (xbox live)

-merc

Originally posted by TheWitePony
For those of us who have the patience, and respect, to let valve take there time and finish the game when they can. Are there any games out there worth buying to play in the meantime while we wait?

If you like MMORPG's try out Dark Age of Camelot... I first didnt think it would be that great, but I saw it at sams club for $16 and the first month is free so I am like "why not?!" and its a really really good game, get monotonous (SP?) after a while though. Anywho ...

Max Payne 2 comes out soon. Chrome has been released but have heard mixed reviews...

And for those that care - Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines is the only other game I know of that uses the Source engine. Not sure when it is out - but it is a vampire themed RPG so it might be worth investigating.

Max Payne 2 is out a week from today, and it utilizes the same physics engine as HL-2.

Call of Duty is out the 30th, it resembles MoH x10 on steroids. Very realistic on hard mode, and lots more sequnces like Omaha Beach (running up the banks of the Volga and into Stalingrad w/o a weapon, for example).

Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are two oldies that still kick most other games asses.

Mafia is the best game of the year so far, IMO. Great graphics, story, gameplay, audio - everything was top notch and extremely cinematic.

The original Hitman: Codename 47 is fun.

And of course, once the teaser is out, you could try my assassin mod for GTA: Vice City. Check me sig for details. :p

EDIT: And of course my sig doesn't show up. *sigh*

http://dcserve.no-ip.com/freelance/index.php

Hal for PC is awful, not matter what anyone says. It was bad for XBox, worse for PC. Generic story, ho-hum action. The only redeeming quality is...gasp...shiny surfaces!

Max Payne 2 is another I still reccomend. Get the movie packs 2 and 3, they show off the Havok 2.0 engine great. A thug falling into a shelf that collapses on him, a grenade blowing a hole in concrete and the internal steel bars sticking out as concrete falls below. All unscripted.

The noir story, seedy environment, stylized graphics, enhanced bullet time - it sounds great. Not to mention that they've supposedly made it more open-ended, with play testers still finding alternate routes through levels the fourth time through the game. The only other game I can remember that is like this is Deus Ex.

Additionally, Remedy discussed 'fun' levels, such as one where you guide Max through a busy night interrogating, filing reports, and hanging out with other cops in the police station break room.

I know I'm getting it. It's already gold too, no last-minute delays.

Regardless of what anyone says, I'm having fun with Halo on PC. Granted I don't own an X-Box so I've never played the game before now, and my computer is suitably beasty enough to handle it.

If you like the Jedi Knight games or anything to do with the Star Wars universe, you should get some enjoyment out of Jedi Academy... although don't pay full price for it.

If you like Star Trek (or even if you don't), check out Elite Force 2... a very solid and entertaining Quake 3 engine based FPS... I never liked ST but I love this game and the original Elite Force. Some of the level design is top notch and the atmosphere is lovely.

Freedom Fighters is an incredibly fun game... very console-ish but the levels are fantastic... And who can say no to blowing away some Reds?

If none of those keep you busy, there's always Homeworld 2, UFO: Aftermath, Tron 2.0, Ghost Master and a whole heap of other miscellaneous diversions to keep your mind suspended in a virtual world until HL2 comes along...

Hey, you could even try reading... *gasp*.... a book!!! Trust me, it could be an enligtening experience for all you kids out there. I hate people that close their minds to the written word.

definately system shock 2. the only game to ever actually scare me.

thief 2 is also really, really great. unique story and great, in-depth missions. has some very.. unsettling and eerie parts in it as well, as well as a ton of excellent community-made mods (inverted manse anyone?).

and last on the list is splinter cell. the levels may be linear, but the character encounters are very dynamic and challenging. worth the $40.

Age of Mythology: Titans expansion, was just released... max payne two in 8 days or so..

Books eh? Let me reccomend 1984, Animal Farm, the Oedipus Cycle, and the Man Who Was Thursday (GK Chesterton's little-known masterpiece, Deus Ex contains many quotes). Of course, the less intelligent members [3/4 of the forum] may not be too interested in these. They're deep and political, with loads of metaphors and hidden references. Hell, Animal Farm is just one gigantic metaphor.

You can legally get SysShock II for free at www.the-underdogs.org

You may need to register, I'm not sure...

Originally posted by InsertNameHere
Books eh? Let me reccomend 1984, Animal Farm, the Oedipus Cycle, and the Man Who Was Thursday (GK Chesterton's little-known masterpiece, Deus Ex contains many quotes). Of course, the less intelligent members [3/4 of the forum] may not be too interested in these. They're deep and political, with loads of metaphors and hidden references. Hell, Animal Farm is just one gigantic metaphor.

All fantastic books there. Animal Farm is being used in schools now. :)

I'm working my way through the Sci-Fi Masterworks series... Currently reading James Blish's Cities in Flight.

Oh and how could I forget Douglas Adam's 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' series? Everyone should read those books at least once.

I'm surprised no one mentioned XIII yet. I am very much looking forward to this title, and its due 10/21. It looks very original and fun, and its storyline seems interesting. Plus, Duchovny voices the main character! Are you guys excited? .....guys? Ah the hell with it, I'm thrilled, and I'll be picking it up upon release. Go check it out.

for anyone interested in the game Stalker, read roadside picnic... going to upload the book now (it's free online version), gimme a min

edit:

I'm surprised no one mentioned XIII yet.
because cel-shading is just a gimmick and poor excuse to hide shitty art :p

freedom fighters is freaking amazing. its seriously the best(new) game I have played in years. definatly worth the money.

freedom fighters is freaking amazing. its seriously the best(new) game I have played in years. definatly worth the money.
rofl.... best game in years? gimme some of that grass you got there, please

I heard it's terribly short, and it's just a bunch of setpieces held together with wobbly transitions. The demo was alright, and the almighty IOI made it, so I'll probably pick it up sometime this winter.

And STALKER is definitely going to be a surprise hit.

The demo didnt do the game justice at all, not even close. you have a ton of freedom in what you do, plus the story and soviet tv transitions are great. its just short of perfection, you simply need to play it to get it.

as to lenght, I dont know how long it is, im still playing it.

well after hearing all about sytem shock 2. well i'mma gonna download it now. I wonder how badly i'll soil myself. People keep saying its scary as hell. I hope its true

well after hearing all about sytem shock 2. well i'mma gonna download it now. I wonder how badly i'll soil myself. People keep saying its scary as hell. I hope its true
it's true... however, it's an old game now meaning the graphics may not have much influence on how scary it is anymore

minesweeper guys. geez. timeless classic that keeps you entertained time and again....

ATM i'm playing heaps of DoD, and CM4....and of course the classic bubble bobble.

its a new release(?????) i think called 'the new adventures of Bubble bobble" Works nicely on XP. That game had the best music ever.

Does anyone remember Dr Fruit and Mousetrp on the old Commodor/Amiga

Yes Bubble Bobble, and oh course Dr. Fruit classic games. I will also be playing Mission Elevator on the Amiga.

I wont repeat what other people have said, but I'm also playing Desert Combat, Eternal Darkness (GCN), and Soul Calibur 2 (GCN).
And I'm reading the Hitchhiker's series for probably the fifth or sixth time right now.

Mission elevator, i remember that. And the spy who loved me "Bad show James"

I might get Graham Gooche's cricket going again...And the score is
1-856, thanks Richie

Hmm right now im playing with myself. Its a fun game. JK! Nah lately all ive been doing is mapping and waiting for red orchestra for ut2k3 to come out. Besides that theres MP2(oct 14), FFXI (oct 28th), CoD (oct 29th) then theres some more games comin out in november. Also reading up on alot of philosophy books mostly eastern philosophy.

Forget System Shock it's way too long. And there's barely any human interaction. Get Deus Ex instead : )

I'm off to the shops to get UFO Aftermath, if it blows chunks I'll have to return it claiming I didn't know it was a pc game.... lol!

I don't know about you guys but I've been a fan of turn-based RPG/Action games: the UFO and Fallout series are in my list of all time Classics! :D

i'm currently playing to pass the time:
Gothic II (you can find it at www.gogamer.com if you're in the states, since it's not "officialy" released here in the US yet, it's the uk version)
It's a excellent adventure/rpg.

The longest journey - had it for a while, never played through it all the way.

Going to be picking up soon:
Max payne 2
Commandos 3
Freedom fighters
Hidden and dangerous 2

Back