Any news on ESRB rating?

N

nullvector

Not that I care about the rating...but its kinda interesting that CS:CZ has already been assigned as "M", and that game isnt out yet....but HL2 is still listed by Vivendi and others as being RP, rating pending.

Kinda makes me wonder how they expect to ship the game, with printed boxes, around the world, by 9/30, without even a content rating yet.

Of course it would be "M", but aside from that...by the time they get that rating, usually the game is already gold, or very very close to ship-date.

I assume its 'M' and they just havn't posted it yet.

thats also a pretty iomportant role in the releasing of HL2, especially with these laws here in North America, i dont know about any other place, but im sure they got something like this :)

What about the UK rating?

Haven't they changed it recently?

It would have to M...we've already seen two people be impaled in just the vids. :D

Ah, you guys have like "this is rated a M so you must be 18 years old to buy this" things? Or what are the ratings for?

Originally posted by DaLys
Ah, you guys have like "this is rated a M so you must be 18 years old to buy this" things? Or what are the ratings for?

Yeah, thats what we're talking about.

Only at some places like Walmart. (Sometimes)
And even then its 17 I believe.

Originally posted by DaLys

thats what theyre meant for, but they dont really enforce that....GOOD FOR US!

yea, you got to be 17 to buy. They dont enforce it AT ALL though, and then they blame the makers of violent games when 13 year olds who play them kill people. ****ing morons in the american press.

itll be on the new ratingsystem i expect as its not against the law to sell it to someone under that age on that new rating but it takes the government agency off their back. (uk this is).

Has to be M..Sci-Fi violence..plus the Hydra does "Impale" that guy..and thats one instance..I'm sure more stuff like that happens..M for sure.

http://esrb.com/esrbratings.asp

Its basically a system in America to prevent people from suing more than they already do.

In other words...if some dumbass goes and kills people, the companies sort of have a recourse by saying "well we warned you it was violent....you shouldnt have let your kid play it".

Heres what ESRB says about their ratings.

When the game is ready for release to the public, publishers send copies of the final product to the ESRB. The game packaging is reviewed to make sure the ratings are displayed in accordance with ESRB standards. Additionally, ESRB's in-house game experts randomly play the final games to verify that all the information provided during the rating process was accurate and complete.

So...in order to rate something, they have to play it. In order to play it, it has to be done, gold, whatever.

Just another needle in the haystack of needles that says this game will probably be a little delayed.

The ratings system is voluntary (for the time being) so stores don't have to enforce it. However, many larger stores do an there is legislation to make it mandatory. Personally, I think it's a good idea.

im nutral on this issue, although i am against stuupid kids grabbing guns and firing at innocent people jsut like in GTA. Games are jsut what they are called, GAMES! no more...

its illigal for young people to buy these games. I hope they set a presedent with this recent wave of lawsuits agains rockstar.

Its ****ing absurd that they can sue for this. Its like a 14 year old suing a store clerk because the beer he stole made him sick.

There's a difference between suing and winning. I haven't heard of any case in which punitive damages were ever awarded.

last thing i got refused for being to young was Shogun total war.

i just handed my dad the game and told him to buy it.

what the hell is the point of ratings? christ ive been playing 18+ games for years and watching 18+ films for even longer.

if anything its desensitised me to "scary" stuff.

Definetley an M game, look at all the blood in the traptown vid

Dougy: Its good to have stuff like this to protect companies from legal action from stupid people. Your parents are free to buy it for you, so all is good.

Originally posted by Dougy
last thing i got refused for being to young was Shogun total war.

i just handed my dad the game and told him to buy it.

what the hell is the point of ratings? christ ive been playing 18+ games for years and watching 18+ films for even longer.

if anything its desensitised me to "scary" stuff.

US senators have desensitised me to bitching, i could listen to em all day and not care.

Originally posted by nullvector
http://esrb.com/esrbratings.asp

Its basically a system in America to prevent people from suing more than they already do.

In other words...if some dumbass goes and kills people, the companies sort of have a recourse by saying "well we warned you it was violent....you shouldnt have let your kid play it".

Heres what ESRB says about their ratings.

When the game is ready for release to the public, publishers send copies of the final product to the ESRB. The game packaging is reviewed to make sure the ratings are displayed in accordance with ESRB standards. Additionally, ESRB's in-house game experts randomly play the final games to verify that all the information provided during the rating process was accurate and complete.

So...in order to rate something, they have to play it. In order to play it, it has to be done, gold, whatever.

Just another needle in the haystack of needles that says this game will probably be a little delayed.

Lucky bitches :frown:

Originally posted by Direwolf
Dougy: Its good to have stuff like this to protect companies from legal action from stupid people. Your parents are free to buy it for you, so all is good.

another thing i dont like

the fact that the way britian is going now i could tell a kid to STFU and get sued for it :dozey:

or if some guys robbing my house and i beat the crap out of him, im the 1 who gets a jail sentence :flame:

I must be behind the times since I thought they were supposed to be enforced since inception. Oh well as long as it keeps Senator Leiberman (sp?) at bay I am still happy. I would like it to see thr ratings enforced though.

Originally posted by Direwolf
There's a difference between suing and winning. I haven't heard of any case in which punitive damages were ever awarded.

suing and losing still ties up the courts and costs money.

With all the animal disecting in school, it's bound to be rated "E".
I mean, what's the difference. One's a video and one's in real-life.

Games dont have to be complete to be slapped a rating.

Originally posted by Tredoslop
With all the animal disecting in school, it's bound to be rated "E".
I mean, what's the difference. One's a video and one's in real-life.

You have a problem with disecting frogs? wth?
sweet jesus, how do you want us to cure diseases? by guessing?

yea, you got to be 17 to buy. They dont enforce it AT ALL though, and then they blame the makers of violent games when 13 year olds who play them kill people. ****ing morons in the american press.

It is enforced but only with extremely violent games. I remember everywhere in Florida if you wanted to buy GTA: Vice City you had to have your ID. At the time I was only 16 (I'm 17 now :) ) and I had to get my sister to come with me to buy it. Other then games like that they don't care. Same with movies, they don't care how old you are unless its something really bad then they check.

The HL2 community would be so much better if they DID enforce the not under 17 age restriction. :)

Back