Anyone able to use the buildcubemaps command on their custom map?

S

SkilledNewbie

I tried a few times but I keep on getting a console error that says "
maps/cs_test.bsp is not writable!!! Check it out before running buildcubemaps.". I've tried it with sv_cheats set to 1 and I've loaded the map through the console using the "map cs_test" command. The BSP is completely built with no errors and there is only one env_cubemap entity. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SkilledNewbie

I am getting the same problem, it appears the map is write protected somhow, pehaps it is because it is an mp server, and the map cant be edited, im gonna try developer mode changes etc, see if it makes a difference.

Did anyone get this to work, I really need to build the cubemaps for that is all that remains for my CSS level.

i thought you needed at least 2 cube maps for it to work
one for each area of the transition.

Anyone have an article or something that exlpains cubemaps in detail. I'm confused on exactly what they are and where/when they are used. My understanding is that they take a screenshot in all directions and then relay it to something else (like reflection on water)... is that right?

There is a bug in the SDK where cubemaps don't work. Expect it to be fixed next week when the full SDK is out.

Yup, what he said ^

If you do add env_cubemap entities, then the cubemaps are generated to enable bumpmaps and reflections, but they are generated by the skybox alone. I'm sure you guys can live with that until next week, it's not life or death for your WIP's.

Back