Anyone doing a reformat before release?

Too much stuff I got on my comp, and I don't feel like backing it all up.

yup, sure am! :D

Got me a nice new XP SP2-disc slipstreamed too, so I don't have to rush to get ahead of all the crap on the internet

Just done one, however there will be a disk defrag and maybe even a dedicated winXP profile made.

i already did :-D

EDIT : I usually reformat every 2 months or so. I just reformatted 2 weeks ago to make myself HL2 ready. :p

Isn't there a way that you can at least do a fresh install of Windows without wiping out your hard drive? Something like doing a repair or something? I thought I heard that you can do this somewhere.

Did one not too long ago, and I've kept my pc clean and healthy since then. So no format but probably more tweaking hehe.

I will do a bit of cleanup and a defrag...then when I find HL2 plays like shit on my crap machine I will throw it in the dumster and buy a new one and think of the time I wasted cleaning up the rig(or bucket):hmpf:

I'm going one better and getting a whole new PC delivered this friday:

A64 3500+
1024MbPC3200
6800GT
200Gb SATA
Audigy 2 ZS :bounce: :thumbs:

No, why the hell would i reformat my computer? i didnt reformat before i installed THUG2, or CS:S or any other game ive installed in the last year. besides hl2 is ALREADY INSTALLED on my computer and most of everyone else too you silly poo poo head.

how did i know there would be a million dumb thread like this on these forums today. everytimew theres news about hl2 people feel they have to start a million dumbass threads. whats next? "Will you wear shoes when you are playing hl2?"

PainLord said:
I'm going one better and getting a whole new PC delivered this friday:

A64 3500+
1024MbPC3200
6800GT
200Gb SATA
Audigy 2 ZS :bounce: :thumbs:

Nice man. I'm on a 3 ghz p4, gig of hyper-x pc3500, 6800 GT, 120 gig WD IDE, Audigy 2.

John Romero said:
No, why the hell would i reformat my computer? i didnt reformat before i installed THUG2, or CS:S or any other game ive installed in the last year. besides hl2 is ALREADY INSTALLED on my computer and most of everyone else too you silly poo poo head.

how did i know there would be a million dumb thread like this on these forums today. everytimew theres news about hl2 people feel they have to start a million dumbass threads. whats next? "Will you wear shoes when you are playing hl2?"

I'll be wearing shoes when I play HL2.

I'm on a brand new PC with a clean install of XP and service pack 2, so no need here. HL2 is gonna fly!!

LeXo5 said:
i already did :-D

EDIT : I usually reformat every 2 months or so. I just reformatted 2 weeks ago to make myself HL2 ready. :p

Wow! How much crap do you put on your computer to make it bog down after 2 months? I can usually easily go 9 months between formats and I thought I loaded a bunch of random software...

Anyways, nope, I won't be reformatting for HL2. I've got a designated Gaming username which has all of the excess junk cleared out of it. Works like a charm!

Yup i just reformatted :) and what a dif its made...im not going to install useless crap either.

I got a new PC 2 months ago and it's already full of crap, I'll format a week before HL2 comes out.

I did a reformat about 2 weeks ago, but it wasnt for HL2. My mom d/l too much spyware it was rediclous.

i seriously suggest everybody at least defragment their pc if they downloaded the content through steam.

the cache files are so huge, on my pc they were fragmented very badly... i used an app called diskeeper (much nicer then windows built in defragger) and theres a very definate increase in performance in CS:S

heh

already formatted like a month ago....and all i have installed is steam...and ultima online...so i dont worry about hella stuff cloging my pc :farmer:

:) It's official, my dad says he is going to get me a new system just to play Half Life 2! Psssh yeah right ;( . Naw, I am too lazy to reformat.

yea i figure ill run my unattended xp pro(integrated sp2) install before hl2 comes out, since it does all the work installing things for me anyway.

I'd just be my luck that after a reinstall something important refuses to work :)

trantjd said:
Wow! How much crap do you put on your computer to make it bog down after 2 months?

well I download roughly 1-2 gbs of stuff every month soooooo I download a lot of stuff. Besides, it does a good job of keeping me going at my computer's best performance and not have any random wierd bugs creep up.

I'm ordering a new 80GB 7200rpm 8MB cache hard drive from Newegg.com. Then I will probably backup Steam and all of my other files to my network file server. Then smoke my system. During the reinstall of XP Pro I will make a 20GB system partition, a 40GB just for Games (Steam, UT2004)and a 3GB partition for my paging. After installation I will move the paging file to the paging partition and set it to empty the paging every time I shutdown. This leads to a paging file with no fragmentation. Good performance boost.

AMD 2500 Barton
Epox 8rdA+
onboard soundstorm audio
Ati Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB

mjrhzrd said:
....UT2004....

before my last reformat my UT2K4 folder was 12gb with all the mods skins maps and other junk I had installed ....... consider yourself warned that UT2K4 needs its own hard drive :LOL:

I might. I'd hate to waste a dvd though for backing stuff up when we don't even have all the data yet.

Yes and Half-Life 2 will be the second thing I will install on my computer, after Windows XP...

I'm going to reformat with XP pro with SP2 in it. Do you guys recommend it? I know some ppl had problems with SP2 but if no one here does...then I'll go ahead.

LeXo5 said:
before my last reformat my UT2K4 folder was 12gb with all the mods skins maps and other junk I had installed ....... consider yourself warned that UT2K4 needs its own hard drive :LOL:

Then I may keep my 20 GB as the system drive and the 80GB as a gaming drive. As for UT2004 yep its big. When was the last time you dumped the UT2004 Cache directory. I had 1.5 GB in it when I dumped it as it was causing crashing issues.

/me pats meself on the back for such acts of prescience

I bought an 80GB USB2 drive for work a month ago - I think I'll be reloading too. My UT2K4 and Steam directories are safe!

Back