Anyone else botherd by the FX?

SpiderPig

Reaction score
Theve used the same sounds for the med kits and other stuff as they used for HL2. Seems to give it a quick mod sense to the game.

Who cares, the sounds are interesting in HL2 alone and give you a good feel like it was made of scraps but the scraps are oldies but goodies. Wait. Oh. Oh.

Actually I was thinking the same thing, that they should have got sounds that would be in the same "style" as the game is. If you know what I mean.

Oh No I Heard Combine Soldier Footsteps

Not Buying Content Ive Already Paid For

That Was Supposed To Be In Caps Damnit.

so.. beautiful flawless cell shading and unrivaled facial animation is some how 'quick mod style'. Please.

Why spend the time and money to remake sounds which they already created?

I love when people bitch "OMG I saw that crate in HL2!"... There's only so many ways to model and texture a crate. If you want games to get done sooner, stop bitching about something so terribly trivial as a box or footstep sounds.

I dont give a shit if I see simlar/same stuff in TF2, I just want to play the ****ing thing...

yeah really, i don't care at all, it's not even a full priced game, but yet it's like a number 1 in people's wish list. I just want to play the damn thing.

Sounds are just as important as visuals, imo, and every game should be made with new and original sound effects. I think in this case it works ok if they reuse some old ones though.

TFC had 70% half-life 1 content

I dont remember anyone complaining.

haha....the sound of the med-kit and picking up ammo noise are about the only sounds that they did use from HL2...and that is probably because they are 'classic' sound effects for HL...
All of the rest seem totally original and the sheer amount of voice acting for all the individual classes is seriously impressive..Especially at the start of a match when everyone is going nuts with the communications...lol :D
The soundtrack is also totally original and really well produced music...
It is probably one of the most accomplished games in terms of sound that I have ever heard...I would give the sound 98%, but because they used the sounds from HL2 for the med kit and ammo I only give it 25%....lol
Lets be reasonable....

This really bothered me too. Don't get me wrong though, TF2 is awesome. Don't throw all that crap in about 'well tfc came from hl1 so nuhhhhh!' or 'they already have the sounds so why make new ones!?'. Such simplistic answers (no offence!). TF2 is a completely independent new game. It has nothing to do with the half life 2 world so there shouldnt be any sounds from it either. HL2 is going for realism, and TF2 comical. I don't like all these 'realistic' sounds in a comical world. They need to be more stereotyped and over-the-top to fit the nature of HL2. I realize this doesn't bother most people, but it does bother me so I'm sure it does others too. I'm an obsessive hl2 fan, and a mapper so I can recognize every piece of hl2 content when I see/hear it. I've come across countless flash games and animations online that use hl1 and 2 sounds. I don't even have to be trying to listen for them. They just stick out. To give you an idea of how many tf2 sounds are taken from hl2... All the physics impact noises are hl2, the melee-hitting-wall sounds are hl2, bullets-hitting-walls are hl2, health kits hl2, weapon-pickup hl2, ragdoll collision sounds hl2. There's probably a whole lot more I'm missing too, but those stood out the most. OF COURSE THIS DOESNT AFFECT THE OVERALL QUALITY OF THE GAME. I STILL LOVE THE GAME REGARDLESS. Its just something to point out. I doubt they'll be replacing any of it either.

Haven't played the game yet, don't know if that will bother me or not, but if anything, I'm more concerned about pretty much every Source game having the same menu style.

Does TF2 have it too?

The menu format is the same as other Source games, with a few extra options ('Achievements', for example).

I agree with Naudian that sounds are as important as visuals, if not more so. In the case of the medic sound effects however I'm glad they kept the old Half-Life sounds. It sounds good, isn't at odds with the rest of the sound effects and it "just is" the health sound. The same goes for the HEV recharger in HL2 retaining its old sound.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. There's no point doing something just for the sake of it.

The menu font is a bit more 'comical'.
I kind of agree with Gobanzo_man. You seem to repeat that sentence all the time Samon, it will loose it's meaning that way.
I thought the hl sounds are going to bother me a lot, but they aren't really and I still <3 this game.

Honestly, that's like complaining about the color of the Pyro's boots.

Everyone would complain if valve used CS radio sound effects instead of all the voices in TF2. The rest of the sounds aren't as prominent, but they still make a difference. Just because some you guys lack an artistic mind for noticing things like this doesn't mean you should flame the rest of us for having one.

Everyone would complain if valve used CS radio sound effects instead of all the voices in TF2. The rest of the sounds aren't as prominent, but they still make a difference. Just because some you guys lack an artistic mind for noticing things like this doesn't mean you should flame the rest of us for having one.

Complaining about a .2 second long sound that really doesn't get heard all that often behind the gun shots/anything else is just grasping for straws so you can complain about something, imo.

*sigh*
I'm not complaining or asking that they change it. They most likely AREN'T changing it. I'm just POINTING IT OUT, and supporting what the original post says since all everyone else does is flame him.

'I'm cold'
'Here have a blanket'
'But that's a pink blanket..I want a blue blanket!!!'

*sigh*
I'm not complaining or asking that they change it. They most likely AREN'T changing it. I'm just POINTING IT OUT, and supporting what the original post says since all everyone else does is flame him.
We are flaming him because it's a pretty useless thing to piss and moan over. It's a VERY small sound...not even heard enough to make a difference. I would understand if they used CS sounds for the voices because, well, that's heard all the time and doesn't really add much. But a click and a beep...come on.

It isn't that people didn't notice, it is just that people didn't really care that Valve used these sounds...I actually like that they used them. The first time I picked up a health pack I was like
'HA! I know that sound, cool!'
Dude, I write and produce music and have done for about 8 years...Don't get all elitist and thinking you have special ears or something...lol:afro:

Who cares if they've been used before, they're still nice sounds.

Just out of interest, has anyone noticed a sound related to a soldier getting hurt or a bullet flyby, that sounds annoyingly similar to a steam message? :D I have found myself shift-tabbing only to realise it was ingame lol.

Just out of interest, has anyone noticed a sound related to a soldier getting hurt or a bullet flyby, that sounds annoyingly similar to a steam message? :D I have found myself shift-tabbing only to realise it was ingame lol.

I've not heard that sound once. weird..I'll have to listen for it now :p

Back