Anyone else disillusioned with gaming now?

Mr. Redundant said:
but you have no idea how personal the game becomes, how much fun it can be when you play well together.

I can't even begin to describe how cool it is, and even if I could you guys wouldn't believe me because you have only had bad experiences with the game thus far.

First person shooters get the larger crowd I suppose. I've played many real time strategies, and the like where I've had the chance to talk to fellow team mates. I've plotted thousands of bizzare strategies that usually pay off.

You try co-ordinating an attack with two allies against a larger enemy on three fronts of about 50 units each. Then tell me you've felt satisfaction at a job well done.

btw, I do actually intend on buying BF2. I'm merely tired of the constant greatness of the alledged "squad" system.

RTS's and FPS's for me are both extremely enjoyable in different ways.

And dammit Kyo the squad system pwns. :p

Ennui said:
And dammit Kyo the squad system pwns. :p

We'll see about that in the week and one day that I get a copy and give it a whirl at a lan.

Kyo said:
First person shooters get the larger crowd I suppose. I've played many real time strategies, and the like where I've had the chance to talk to fellow team mates. I've plotted thousands of bizzare strategies that usually pay off.

You try co-ordinating an attack with two allies against a larger enemy on three fronts of about 50 units each. Then tell me you've felt satisfaction at a job well done.

btw, I do actually intend on buying BF2. I'm merely tired of the constant greatness of the alledged "squad" system.

as I said, that's a fun game experience, as an RTS player I know what you are talking about... but you have no idea what Im talking about... you CANNOT get the comradery of this game ANYWHERE else... I have been gaming since I was six years old.... Im telling you... never.

however the greatness of the squad system, and the way the game is designed in general... heavily relies on the squad you have... if you get onto a pub server and expect to have the greatest game of your life... think again.

HL2.net squad players make this game. if you haven't played with an HL2.net squad (or at least a 6 man squad who use voip and work together) your opinion on this game is utterly ****ing invalid. (truth sorry)

then again you might not be team material... I have always wished for a game like this... something with structure, purpous and immersion.
most people don't really care about those things... to them I can see the game as merely being a DC clone with good graphics and better controls/sound/performance/etc.
to those people, I say skip the game... not only will you be doing yourself an injustice by buying this game and being let down, no one will want you in their team regardless.

you have to put a little of yourself into the game, if you go out buy it, play it for two minutes in SP and then just call it DC, good game. your loss. (to clarify Sparta that was not directed at you)

Mr. Redundant said:
as I said, that's a fun game experience, as an RTS player I know what you are talking about... but you have no idea what Im talking about... you CANNOT get the comradery of this game ANYWHERE else... I have been gaming since I was six years old.... Im telling you... never.

however the greatness of the squad system, and the way the game is designed in general... heavily relies on the squad you have... if you get onto a pub server and expect to have the greatest game of your life... think again.

HL2.net squad players make this game. if you haven't played with an HL2.net squad (or at least a 6 man squad who use voip and work together) your opinion on this game is utterly ****ing invalid. (truth sorry)

then again you might not be team material... I have always wished for a game like this... something with structure, purpous and immersion.
most people don't really care about those things... to them I can see the game as merely being a DC clone with good graphics and better controls/sound/performance/etc.
to those people, I say skip the game... not only will you be doing yourself an injustice by buying this game and being let down, no one will want you in their team regardless.

you have to put a little of yourself into the game, if you go out buy it, play it for two minutes in SP and then just call it DC, good game. your loss. (to clarify Sparta that was not directed at you)

I did play for a good numbers of hours, between 10-20 after playing the demo for over a week, before i returned the game this morning. And about that comment about those players who see the game as a DC clone being useless to a team, i was one the best players on my servers and constantly winning the Best Teamwork award so thats just wrong.

Also, about playing with HL2.net players. Of course that will make things more fun. Games are naturally more fun playing with friends. I had the best game of BF2 with ray_man, ripper-roo and unimita. It was way better then playing with strangets. But the average game on a server with strangers isn't really anything fantastic. Just lots of fancy explosions and some cool teamwork.

Mr. Redundant said:

Point: If I need to wade through a sea of shit for a few nuggets of gold in order to enjoy the game properly, then it's not worth the purchase.

Mr. Redundant your whole argument relies on playing with people you know. Heck play any game with people you know and your going to have a good time.

Go to a Lan you get the added bonus of being in the same building.

Sparta said:
Is it just me or have the big, hyped up games that have come out in the last year all ended being nowhere near as good as they've said, and mostly just turned out to be really average?

Doom 3 was a corridor crawl, Halo 2 was incredibly repetitive, GTA:SA is repetitive as well despite having a massive landscape. Battlefield 2 plays exactly like Desert Combat would in a new engine. The demo for Splinter Cell 3 was good but the full game felt like an expansion of the original where as the co-op had too few levels. To put it bluntly i'm just totally disillusioned with gaming. Every big name game that gets churned out to rave reviews ends up being either entirely average or just a little bit above average. The only exceptions in the last few months have been from a few rare games like Resident Evil 4, Ninja Gaiden, Rome:Total War and of course a game so obvious that i can't be bothered mentioning it.

Heck, now i'm even disillusioned with World of Warcraft because after reaching level 40 and not having money to pay for another game card i sat back and thought if pouring 180 bucks into a game is really worth it, if all you do is the exact same quests you've been doing since you started the game. Bah, this sucks.

Anyone else beginning to feel this way?

Play Shadow of Rome... it's SO awesome.

Note to everyone looking for something great and original.

Buy Psychonauts

Awesome and simple game. Tons of originality in it. And just really good fun.

Sparta said:
Note to everyone looking for something great and original.

Buy Psychonauts

Awesome and simple game. Tons of originality in it. And just really good fun.

Psychonauts is indeed the shit. I'll back that...play the damn thing for hours.

Yeah, I'm pretty much not into games anymore. I hadn't played Half-Life 2 since late last year and I tried it yesterday. I couldn't get into it. The last game I bought was Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and that was fun until the last level which I never bothered to finish. Then I played the BF2 demo for a little and had some fun strapping bombs to the car, driving it into an enemy base, jumping out, and detonating it. That got old after a while and I stopped playing it because I suck at it mostly. I just got back from Mammoth Mountain and I did a race up there and that's pretty much how I get my fun right now. I still want to get the HL2 expansion though.

The only thing that keeps me excited about games right now is the new technologies that are coming out. We've already seen a bit of: game world objects with physical properties, facial animations and acting, large, detailed maps, real-time lighting, HDR, deformable terrain, more user-friendly tools, etc. There is a huge potential here for games to go beyond what was established 5-10 years ago.

Back