Anyone feel a motherly, or messianic, drive to save as many humans as possible?

Reaction score
I hate it so much when the rebels/citizens die. You see so many ruined outposts of humanity, so many zombies littered everywhere...it's such a waste when an antlion or soldier kills a rebel...the rebels seem so valuable. I try to save as many of them as possible, to OCD-esque levels.

For example, you know that redshirt at New Little Odessa positioned up on the wooden watchtower? The one that gets swiped away by the Gunship in the first 30 seconds? Well, I used bedframes and matresses from the building below to build him an impenetrable shield (after a ridiculous amount of trial and error during construction, it takes ages to smack and bend everything around the oblivious fool). After a few hours of attempts on Hard mode, I managed to save him, only for one of the three red shirts on the ground to be wasted instead. I tried again. Eventually, I succeeded. I had a group shot of NLO outpost and all four red shirts, but lost it a few formats ago.

I micromanage my group of rebels in Anticitizen One obsessively. I take ZERO casualties. ZERO. I lose noboby. I always position them out of harms way, ordering them into corners, keeping them behind me at all times. I end up repeatedly pressing 'C' to keep them behind the combine generator during the end finale, so that all four escape safely to the other side. You always end up with two black medics, a female medic with a shotgun, and the Frohman model rebel. Always. If you take no losses (medics replace standard rebels when you meet them).

"Follow Freeman" makes me crazy. Let's not talk about that one, okay? :(

Unlike a lot of people I know, I loved Episode One's ending. I could actually SAVE some people, with certitude this time. If VALVe wants to break my heart, they can show Barney as the sole survivor on a broken train, surrounded by zombies. That would kill me.

In Episode Two, I save everyone during "Putting on the Clinic." Takes a little bit of effort, I guess.

Later, during the breaching of the Secondary Silo, I save all three rebels fighting the three hunters by SMG-nading and .357'ing the first two hunters through the grating as I crawl in, There's an old guy in a white shirt, a medic, and a normal rebel, IF YOU SAVE EVERYONE.

I also have 80+ hours as medic in TF2, so maybe this isn't specific to Half-Life.

Who's with me?

maybe Valve should make not letting and citizens die an achievment.

I have 200+ hours as a medic in TF2, but only feel that a little bit (not sure if it's a genuine correlation). I prefer games in which you're killing aliens/bugs/demons/etc., but if the occasion calls for it, I will cap an ass. Depending on my mood, I'll try to save as many 'civilians' in a game that allows for it, but often their sketchy AI makes me want to leave them behind anyway.

I hate it so much when the rebels/citizens die. You see so many ruined outposts of humanity, so many zombies littered everywhere...it's such a waste when an antlion or soldier kills a rebel...the rebels seem so valuable. I try to save as many of them as possible, to OCD-esque levels.

For example, you know that redshirt at New Little Odessa positioned up on the wooden watchtower? The one that gets swiped away by the Gunship in the first 30 seconds? Well, I used bedframes and matresses from the building below to build him an impenetrable shield (after a ridiculous amount of trial and error during construction, it takes ages to smack and bend everything around the oblivious fool). After a few hours of attempts on Hard mode, I managed to save him, only for one of the three red shirts on the ground to be wasted instead. I tried again. Eventually, I succeeded. I had a group shot of NLO outpost and all four red shirts, but lost it a few formats ago.

I micromanage my group of rebels in Anticitizen One obsessively. I take ZERO casualties. ZERO. I lose noboby. I always position them out of harms way, ordering them into corners, keeping them behind me at all times. I end up repeatedly pressing 'C' to keep them behind the combine generator during the end finale, so that all four escape safely to the other side. You always end up with two black medics, a female medic with a shotgun, and the Frohman model rebel. Always. If you take no losses (medics replace standard rebels when you meet them).

Unlike a lot of people I know, I loved Episode One's ending. I could actually SAVE some people, with certitude this time. If VALVe wants to break my heart, they can show Barney as the sole survivor on a broken train, surrounded by zombies. That would kill me.

In Episode Two, I save everyone during "Putting on the Clinic." Takes a little bit of effort, I guess.

Later, during the breaching of the Secondary Silo, I save all three rebels fighting the three hunters by SMG-nading and .357'ing the first two hunters through the grating as I crawl in, There's an old guy in a white shirt, a medic, and a normal rebel, IF YOU SAVE EVERYONE.

I also have 80+ hours as medic in TF2, so maybe this isn't specific to Half-Life.

Who's with me?

Haha, I did stuff quite like you the first time i played any of the half life games. If i did lose someone, i'd go crazy and rip the combine to shreds. It feels good to know you can keep your men alive.

I charged them into rooms and while they were being shot at, I could sneak up on the unsuspecting enemies. It was all they good for.

I do feel like I've let myself and humanity as a whole down when a rebel/citizen died, which was weird because its only a game.

In CoD4 singleplayer I got to the bit with Corperal whats his name (forgot it), and he kept getting killed (every time because I somehow shot him trying to shoot the towelhead) so anyway, I managed to save him on the 4th go.

I didn't have to save him, but I kept reloading until I did.

Who's with me?
were you able to save your comrades to the battle to the horse, the fiercest one in the ruined building? I was able to save all my comrades up to there but can't help anything during that battle. ther are just too many combines above throwing grenades from above helped by a couple of striders.

Who's with me?
I swear to god, this should be an achievment!

Back