Anyone get small 'stuttering' in HL2?

Yeah, the tip had a pretty big effect, thank you so much. Now I think I can actually continue playing the game without waiting for an official fix. My stutters are down to one every two minutes, instead of one ever two seconds as it was when I first played. Excellent. :D

it's because it loads the map, then when it draws the map, it has to load the textures. Usually happens when entering large new areas or after load sequences. I think it's a bit odd that it should happen with 1gig of ram though... should have been more than enough... although i may have set the settings too high...

So the heapsize adjustment is a good fix?

Can we get some more confirmations on this?

Yup, happens all of the time.

My specs are the same as yours too (basically:)
2.3 GHZ Athlon processor
768MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128mb

Still, I love the game despite it's problems - this game IS addicting.........speaking of HL2, I may just play me a little CS: Source to compare the two games in terms of weapons, textures, etc. :smoking:

Can I add mutiple different commands in the launch options window? Cause I'm using others also

I have that problem aswell i jsut but it on 800x600 and its fine

LoL. Sorry to laugh at you all, but a big part for that "shudder" is the huge amt of processing that must be done, and textures that must be preloaded, in order for everything to go smoothly....remember the 2 gigabytes of ram that were recommended? This is proly the reason.

yeah I get it too after loading levels. The stolen build would do the same thing with " rebuilding node graph" written across the screen. It was alot worse for me in the stolen build but i only had 512 of ram back then.

Hopefully the heapsize command will smooth me out.

The freezes are autosaves. I turned Dev Console on and played the game and everytime it freezed for a sec it was saying: "autosave blabla" Also it freezes if multiple physic related things happen at the same time

Yeah i get the same problem, the test system for the reviewers was 2GB RAM and a 9800PRO and they said it ran smoothly can't remember what the processor was.

Didn't read the whole thread but this was posted by VALVe over on the Shack forums:

"On second thought, before lowering the texture detail, lower your sound quality. This has fixed the skipping problem for a lot of people without a noticable loss in sound quality. The loss of texture detail will be much more noticable."

-Gary McTaggart (Valve)

I haven's notice the stuttering except right after level loads or saves. Does not stutter during normal gameplay for me (fortunately).

Specs:
P4 [email protected]
1 GB PC-2100 DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro - 4.12 beta Cat's
Soundblaster Audigy
ATA-133 7200 160GB HD

Good luck all. This game is awesome!

I tried lowering all the detail and resolution just everything to low and i still get it then i put everything back up to my recommended and it was better not perfect but not as bad as when everything was bad.

Yes when the game Autosaves its takes almost 3 seconds and stop all the action on screen as it quite annoying.

After putting in heapsize command in launch options should it input that command into the config.cfg or do i have to do this manually so it works everytime i load the game?

its NOT the auto-save, its NOT a graphical error at all.

it's most likely to do with the Miles sound engine.

can people stop posting when they "think their cool" and make up pointless shit.

in the problem problem thread, every single tweak in this thread, plus about 100 more have been tested and there is NO KNOWN WIDESPREAD FIX for this yet.

so just hold on to your hats.

i know valve are aware of the problem, and are no doubt trying to get it sorted.

Pip

Pippinator said:
its NOT the auto-save, its NOT a graphical error at all.

it's most likely to do with the Miles sound engine.

can people stop posting when they "think their cool" and make up pointless shit.
Pip
`
When you get your head outta your ass and see the game halting when it Auto-Saves then you can say the above. As*hole

The auto-saving thing helps a bunch for me, although I still get some stuttering when walking through doors and whatnot.
Can anyone confirm whether or not the heapsize thing helps? IE, has anyone gone to a point where they know there's a stutter and timed it with and without setting the RAM?

Nice first post Yecal!,thanks for the link,looking forward to some nice stutter free gameplay. :D

MasterVampire said:
does anyone get this lil problem where when your playing, when something big happens, the game 'chugs' for like 1 milisecond and then is all smooth again?
Cause my hl2 runs great, just sometimes it will chug for a split second then be fine again , like sometimes in gunfights walking into a new area etc..

2.0 ghz
768ram
9600xt

Updated both the ATI catalyst and the NFORCE drivers for my motherboard sondcard and it stopped. The new catalysts gave me a big improvement, enogut to turn on Temporal AA without any penalty from no AA from before.

Back