Anyone have Terragen?

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
ROFL. You have to learn the software. The software doesn't generate the art, it only allows the artist to generate it within the specifications of the software. Just because Raphael can work wonders with a paintbrush doesn't mean anyone can pick up a brush and dip it in some paint and create this(http://www.artrenewal.org/images/artists/r/Raphael/large/Raphael_The_Vision_of_Ezekiel.jpg)without first spending half a lifetime studying the craft.

Looks like your render settings are fuxed, play with them for a while.

Well, the point is, it should not render in little squares, it should at least apply textures and stuff. I'm not expecting stuff that wonderful, but at LEAST something that looks as good as half-life 1 floor textures would be nice, which i'm not getting. lol. my rendering settings have everything set for quality... i'm just confused.

EDIT: the point is, this isnt as much a blank canvas as it is a mathematical terrain generator, which generates impressive looking graphics using preset forumals and stuff.

So it's more automated, like Bryce? You still have to configure the render settings, if it is anything like Bryce. I'll d/l the demo and see whats going on........

I'd appreciate it. I didn't have much time to fiddle with it... I need to go to bed.

im gonna fiddle with it for about 32423 more hours, its a neat program

Heres my brilliant work of art. All I did after generating a terrain map is up the "detail" setting in the main render configuration window. Before I did that it came out looking like yours.

Aha! that 'main' detail bar eluded my gaze! thanks.

EDIT: GHost, its cooler when you up the detail settings too.

EDIT2: I wonder if the full version has even smoother graphics options, so things don't look still pixelllated a bit like in their main screenshots. I'm gonna read up on this program, it seems really cool!

Here's a guide: http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/guide/

Here's something I made quickly, time to go to sleep REALLY now :-P

(Will post this once its finished rendering. heh, taking a while)

Raziaar said:
Aha! that 'main' detail bar eluded my gaze! thanks.

EDIT: GHost, its cooler when you up the detail settings too.

oh snaps i didnt see that either lol

These simple progs like Bryce don't usually get much credit in the 3d community, but if a person really dedicates himself to mastering the tool, you can create stuff that will drop jaws on any 3d forum. Take this guy Kano for example. His tool of choice: Bryce. The thing about Bryce is that it has no real modeller. To make a custom model you create something like a terrain map, painting a 2d image indicating wwhere there should be height and where there should be low areas, then Bryce generates the 3d model. Not very sophisticated, but when mastered can result in some very cool stuff: http://www.digitalren.com/master/kano/kano.html

ok now that ive seen that main detail bar, it looks something like this. if i spent a little more time in a less faded state i could probably do something way better. thi sis a freakin cool program though. if only it would render quicker. if only id gotten that p4.. oh wait.

that looks cool lol better than my table scraps

ok, other things...
there is the detail bar, thats a start. in rendering options there is "Ultra AA" that helps to.

in terrain options you apply layers of terrain, you can load up some provided settings (Ala, mars terrain, snow and grass, grass and sand, rock and dirt...) or make your own settings. that will improve your render ALOT.

next, in sky controls they have ALOT of presets (Martian sky, clear blue sky, cloudy) just hit the open button. See how they did it and learn.

I fiddeld around with that program for awhile, it's pretty cool.

I got to know that program from a friend, who's one of the best people in the world with terragen.

I have it, never had the time to play around with it thou...

Seen some pretty beautifull stuff from it made by pure n00bs, so I think tis pretty easy.

Sprafa said:
I have it, never had the time to play around with it thou...

Seen some pretty beautifull stuff from it made by pure n00bs, so I think tis pretty easy.

It's NOT easy :p it's very hard to make it look realistic.

This program is WICKEDLY cool! It's going to provide me endless hours of fun as I try to make a cool as hell image of an island or something. Also, the demo version is just about everything you can do in the full version, so thats cool(besides some extra blending/anti aliasing/resolution abilities. All the plugins and stuff you can download on the web, for making lava, etc etc etc are all free when you can find them! just search and stuff. If one plugin doesnt work, it likely means it was made on a different OS like a mac, but a simple download from a website and install can remedy that, so you can use those plugins on your windows computer. Sweeeet.

I made this really quick, just screwing around. Its a gif, so give it a second to swap to the second image, it shows how I took a less than fertile area and made it nice and lush. Hehehe(I didn't want to go 'too' extreme though.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/979/92.gif

Heh, I actually signed up for a summer 1 week course of terragen lol.

I should download the demo again, I'll be back with ugly stuff!

Pffft....Who needs Terragen when you've got Lightwave
Had to change the size of the image because it was 270kb's and its only a 100kb limit on this site.

Lightwave is a modelling and a rendering program. Capable of a whole ton of things. Its incredibly easy to use as well. Anyway, Raziaar, go onto www.deviantart.com and look for a guy called Alyn. He does some pretty damn cool stuff with Terragen.

Back