anyone here managed to use texture lights with the same accuracy as in halflife1?

Shinobi

Tank
Reaction score
I used to use them all the time in halflife 1 to get really nice lighting effects (ex a brush based lantern that casts accurate shadows) but I just replaced all my lights in a lot of my maps with similar lights and the consistency is spotty at best..

there doesnt seem to be any real reasoning behind it but I cant think of any better way to get nice complex lighting effects

anyone else messed with texture lights at all?

Yeah, I have noticed that texture lighting is severly downgraded from how it was in HL1. Not sure why the change or if it was intentional, but it kind of sucks. :( I'd suggest learning to use light_spot as it can be very effective, and valve uses constantly in their maps.

yeah, essentially I have a lantern with a complex exterior and spots wont work for that

here is my response when undertone mentioned that to me in the FAS forums

shinobi said:
dammit

so I guess the best way to go about it is to make a model with a complex collision hull, then fill it with point lights and then set the collsions to not solid so it doesnt waste cpu time using such a complex collision model

only thing is a lot of time the collision models crap out when I have more than 6-7 pieces

I guess I can use -staticpropolys but then I have to wait like 2 days for rad

I guess that's the only way to go about it, I'd hate to render all that to find I'm missing something

Ask the question on VERC, Snarkpit, Interlopers, Mapcore. You might find a faster and better solution.

Are you saying you can't get them to work period or that you just can't get them to look good? It is possible to use them in source if that's what you're asking. Also you could perhaps try lowering the light scale?

They havne't been high prio so thats why they look bad. Unfortunatley. Espaciall since texlights was one of the best ways to light a map back in the days..

I think the main problem is displacemebnts dont seem to be affected by them

the light quality just seems much worse than what it was like in HL1

updated, I rendered again with LDR only and didnt specify a bounce limit, and took the brush with the light emmiting, and seperated it from the func_detail it was in and left it as a world brush... These are the only changes I made and the results improved quite dramaticaly... All I can think of is maybe func_details get discarded too early in the compile process that they dont end up lighting the displacemnts... I dunno

Sounds rather strange to me. If func_details were somehow not accounted for when lighting is done then they would be unlit an not cast shadows. But it's possible that it has some effect. What do I know....

Sounds rather strange to me. If func_details were somehow not accounted for when lighting is done then they would be unlit an not cast shadows. But it's possible that it has some effect. What do I know....

well the only other thing would be that the objects with the light emitting faces were grouped in a func deatil with non-emitting faces.. otherwise I dunno:)

Back