Anyone know how to fix Aztec water

Big Fat Duck

Reaction score
the water in Aztec is cubemapped, but in other maps with water, they reflect realtime normally (Chateau, VST) ... how to fix?!?!!?!

exatly my point people say aztc water rocks .. AND it relfecs no object i LOVE..LOVE..LOVE.. the water in chateau. :bounce:

maybe its meant to be like that... you know murky swamp water.
I think it looks fitting.

The water in chateau is reflective because of it's location - small and enclosed. If the water in Aztec was reflective too; as it's got a large surface area; it'd have to reflect a lot and cause slow down imo.

i think the whole point was to make it look swampy in aztez... rainforest style

you're not likely to get water crystal clear in a swamp now are u

indeed - but it would still reflect...

The 2004 e3 aztec had reflective water - honestly I think the murky muddy look is far more appropriate.

You know that you have to turn on water reflections in options

relax

if u guys spent more time playing than complaining you would enjoy the game... who cares if it dont reflect, as your looking down looking for a reflection your gonna get a bullet reflected in your head.. sheesh.

WhiteZero said:
You know that you have to turn on water reflections in options
its only aztec's water that is like this, has nothing to do with options.
(was stated above)

nyorker said:
if u guys spent more time playing than complaining you would enjoy the game... who cares if it dont reflect, as your looking down looking for a reflection your gonna get a bullet reflected in your head.. sheesh.

compensating?
no one was complaining.. re-read... I mean, read the thread.
He was asking if anyone knew a command to make the water in Aztec like the other water (like in chateau).

nyorker said:

He simply wanted to know if he could turn it back on? People are so incredibly defensive of Valve here that you'll all go off on others, even if they don't say anything negative or just happen to be expressing their opinion about a certain feature/choice. It's just incredible to watch.

I normally don't post in threads if almost a day has passed since the last post... but I thought I'd make an exception for this.

· Open the CS:S GCF file with GCFScape
· Navigate to "cstrike\materials\liquids"
· Extract "water_pretty1.vmt" (well, any of them... but that's the one I picked... and it looks great) to "Steam\SteamApps\your@e-mail\counter-strike source\materials\liquids" folder
· Rename the file to "aztecwater.vmt"
· Play!

I'm not sure if it affects your ability to join unmodified servers... but I doubt it. Someone should test it anyway just to be safe (even though you would just delete that file and it would be back to normal). Also, I'm not sure if this new look fits the aztec theme... but it's cool.

Here are some screenshots of the results:

Attachments

• de_aztec0000.jpg
    de_aztec0000.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 387
  • de_aztec0001.jpg
    de_aztec0001.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 384
OCybrManO said:
I normally don't post in threads if almost a day has passed since the last post... but I thought I'd make an exception for this.

· Open the CS:S GCF file with GCFScape
· Navigate to "cstrike\materials\liquids"
· Extract "water_pretty1.vmt" (well, any of them... but that's the one I picked... and it looks great) to "Steam\SteamApps\your@e-mail\counter-strike source\materials\liquids" folder
· Rename the file to "aztecwater.vmt"
· Play!

I'm not sure if it affects your ability to join unmodified servers... but I doubt it. Someone should test it anyway just to be safe (even though you would just delete that file and it would be back to normal). Also, I'm not sure if this new look fits the aztec theme... but it's cool.

Here are some screenshots of the results:

looks cool, but I kinda prefer the water dark and murky.
also if you have reflect all on (as I do) you could kinda cheat by looking down at the water and seeing someone standing sniping on the ledge, and they could see you at an angle too..

nyorker said:

you my friend are so right, quit whining nubs

-merc

It's the same thing... they just did the extracting and renaming for you. All that's left is for you to put it in the right folder.

I haven't benchmarked it, but I would assume there would be a performance hit. A basic cube/environment map is faster than doing actual reflections.

i am not complaining about the water in aztec, i am merely stating that my preference would be to have reflective water.

could someone post the water file required to do this, i tried the link above and it doesnt work, i tried GCFScape and that doesnt work, all i need is the refelective water file so i can rename and paste it into aztec map file.

i dont understand why after about 10 different threads on this topic a simple and working download link isnt available, please help.

Because These Threads Are 2 Years Old, Jesus Christ Its Another One !

Because These Threads Are 2 Years Old, Jesus Christ Its Another One !

i see that u only post to raise post quota, dont post if u cant help drackard.

oh and where in uk do u live sonny?

No it isn't to increase "Post quota", simply to remind people that is a lot easier to create a new thread then revive a dead one.

As for my location, i don't really feel like giving it out in the middle of a forum on the net ta ;)

guise said:
i think the whole point was to make it look swampy in aztez... rainforest style

you're not likely to get water crystal clear in a swamp now are u

agreed.

*puts hand up*

I too would like this water fix, if anyone has the file! Please.

I don't have .NET installed does anyone have this little patch that they could please upload to Rapidshare or something?

Back