anyone know if there is a way to keep friendly npc's from getting killed

gmottl

Reaction score
the only problem i've been having with half life 2 is keeping the friendlies from getting themselves shot. it always seems that while i'm dealing with one guy trying to kill him another comes up and blows him away. is there a way to set there life to infinite or will i just have to watch their ass all the time to keep the bad guys from blowing them away.

Well they usually respawn , and Npc's like Alyx and Barney have health that regenerates super-ultra-mega-fast tm so i dont see much of an issue , but i guess you could go into the console aim at them and use one of the ent_fire commands. (sorry i forget which one exactly but i think its something like "ent_fire npc_health (number)" *where number is is obviously the number you wish and its without the speech marks)

What a dumb topic, on my watch not one rebel got killed, I always command them to stay put in a safe location.

If you play with the correct balance with offense / defense they'll rarely die. It sounds like you are taking too much of a back foot, try pushing forward a bit more!

i'm talking about barney and alyx specificly. i quick playing forward because during the museum level no matter how hard i protected barney the bastard always got his head blown off. is there some kind of console command or file hack that will keep them from dying and the damn game from reseting.

the only problem i've been having with half life 2 is keeping the friendlies from getting themselves shot. it always seems that while i'm dealing with one guy trying to kill him another comes up and blows him away. is there a way to set there life to infinite or will i just have to watch their ass all the time to keep the bad guys from blowing them away.

Sorry to have to point this out, but you seem to be having an awful lot of problems. Most people seem to be fine with this game, but then most people use a mouse. There must be some kind of correlation.

I have two suggestions:
Lower the difficulty setting
Use a mouse

How old are you, exactly?

Well if you are talking about rebel allies, usualy the first thing I would do is send them all into crowded rooms to be shot to distract the enemies for me to kill, because they really are just cannon fodder. Alyx and Barney on the other hand rarely died on my play throughs, you must be like rarely firing at enemies or something.

If Barney's constantly dying, it's possible that you've saved after a bad gunfight or something, at a point where he's ended up with very low health. Either reload from a little earlier or just wait around doing nothing for a few minutes (his health regenerates).

it's not a reloading thing when i play i usually do it in blocks, like game start right till i get to the airboat or from just before i get to the car to after i get off the ledge at the lighthouse. the problem is that even though i keep blasting guys somehow the come out of nowhere and kill him before i get a chance to fire. it's not because i'm not using the mouse either so please, i know i've said this a hundred times since i signed up here just 3 days ago, drop the whole mouse thing. i'm thinking of leaving here just because you guys keep nagging me about it. i tried to give an olive branch to mc bane and he ended up moking me, i keep telling you i play fine without the mouse and you guys keep telling me i'm stupid and an idiot for not playing the game like you, i do just fine with the keyboard i just need something that will help me enjoy the game a bit more and that's finding a way to make them bulletproof like when i shoot them. i can empty a whole clip into kleiners head and he doesn't die but let one combine near him and he's dead in a second, that's all i need. is there something i can switch off or change to make all primary characters unkillable, if you don't have help for this then don't post anything here, i've heard all this in my other thread and you turned it into a mockery. say something usefull about the topic or don't say anything at all, i know i'm coming off like a major prick but you people have been hounding me about the fragging mouse since i got here and i've told you more than once that i can do just fine with the keyboard. if this gets me banned, i don't care, you turning this place into a hell for me and i don't need 2 hells in my life. your all begining to sound just like my father, and that's not a good thing.

I look at the thread title, then I look at who made it, and I know exactly why the thread exists.

Would you like us to also tell you how to get the gun that evaporates all enemies from a level in one click? Oh sorry, I mean key press?

i'm 26 alright. i've got problems with my feet and my brain so i can't work witch makes money an issue so i can't move out. my fathers been crushing me since i was 3 and he still does it now and i'm not the only one who see this so it's not just me. i have mild autism and some schisophrena so i've been in and out of hospitals all my life and i've tried to kill myself more then once when i was younger. the only place i can get into at the moment is places for people with government income which is only 1000 dollars a month and most of that is for rent and internet expences. i pay for my own god damn room and i'm tired of living with a downright asshole who keeps berating me and making molehills into mountains. he told me i shouldn't have a birthday party, my first one in 5 years because i didn't go to my sister in laws last week, he's that kind of asshole. there, happy, oh and druckles, i didn't see your message cause you typed it while i was typing the last rant. sorry for all of this but i'm begining to get more than a little mad at all this mouse talk. and by the way, any misspelled words come from 2 things, i type really fast so sometimes i hit the wrong key and miss it, i also have this thing where sometimes i forget how words, even common one are spelled so i just try my best. stop making fun of me for that. and just so you know, just because i tried to commit suicide before does not mean i will now because of this place.

... so yeah:
Well they usually respawn , and Npc's like Alyx and Barney have health that regenerates super-ultra-mega-fast tm so i dont see much of an issue , but i guess you could go into the console aim at them and use one of the ent_fire commands. (sorry i forget which one exactly but i think its something like "ent_fire npc_health (number)" *where number is is obviously the number you wish and its without the speech marks)
^^^

You might need to type sv_cheats 1 in the console first. The console commands also autocomplete, so even if Mech's cmd isn't exactly right you'll probably still be able to figure out which is the correct one.

I think it would be something like "ent_fire NPC_barney sethealth 9999" or whatever.

Doesn't keep them from gettin killed, but you can respawn them:

npc_create <name>
npc_create_aimed

I Have Similar Question From You Guys.
During The Battle Right After Nexus Takeover, Remember I Had To Zigzag Through Open Field And Tunnels From Nexus To Infinite Rocket Ammo.

It Was Really Hard To Keep The Npc-s Alive.
If I Sprint As Fast As I Can, I Could Get To The Rocket Supply Unharmed, But Npc-s Always Lag Far Behind And Try To Battle Striders And Meantime Stridres Would Unleash One Or Two Space Warping Rockets Taking Couple Of My Npc-s.

One Time I Was Able To Get As Much As 6 Npcs But That Seems To Be Purely Luck Based Not Because I Did Well.

You could just...Be better.

And don't whine about problems, Christ that's not gonna get anyone to help you, not that anyone can.

During The Battle Right After Nexus Takeover, Remember I Had To Zigzag Through Open Field And Tunnels From Nexus To Infinite Rocket Ammo.

If I Sprint As Fast As I Can, I Could Get To The Rocket Supply Unharmed, But Npc-s Always Lag Far Behind And Try To Battle Striders And Meantime Stridres Would Unleash One Or Two Space Warping Rockets Taking Couple Of My Npc-s.

One Time I Was Able To Get As Much As 6 Npcs But That Seems To Be Purely Luck Based Not Because I Did Well.

:LOL:

We have a failed, shouting newbie here.

Unless he likes capitalising Every Single Word :|

It Is Lots Of Fun To Yell On The Internet.

What Ho!

ho Anyway.

And I always thought the caps filter was useless.

gmottl said:
None of which explains why you can't use a mouse.

i used allcaps but once it is posted, it is converted to caption style. now enough with the writing style, i am more interested in discussing the topic.

Yeah, I mean what is up with that double standard shit anyway!?

i just have to watch their ass all the time to keep the bad guys from blowing them away.

This. I try to use them tactically but this can go out of the window because they can lock into "sv_headless_chicken_mode" . My number one priority is me & my Gordon & then Alex who does more or less take care of herself. Friendly NPC's in my eyes deserve a pat on the back if they distract the shotgun combine soldiers away from me/take one for the team & that goes for the medics too.

When Im eventually being served tea & medals, I'll make sure to mention their great deeds & demand posthumous awards all round.

npc_friendly_man_15 RIP

"faced off a turret gun single handedly whilst trying to shut down the suppression device" etc

Funny thing is, at levels such "Follow Freeman", whenever I'm trying my dam best to keep the 3 rebels alive, they always die via sniper no matter what. But when I put god mode on and purposely send them to where the sniper is hitting, they will not die and instead run to a safespot, the only way for me to make them die is to run directly towards the shooting sniper and watch the rebel turn into a ragdoll.

Seeing ragdolls fall and bend in awkward positions is always fun.

Funny thing is, at levels such "Follow Freeman", whenever I'm trying my dam best to keep the 3 rebels alive, they always die via sniper no matter what. But when I put god mode on and purposely send them to where the sniper is hitting, they will not die and instead run to a safespot, the only way for me to make them die is to run directly towards the shooting sniper and watch the rebel turn into a ragdoll.

Seeing ragdolls fall and bend in awkward positions is always fun.

you could kill the snipers before killing you NPCs if you have managed to save a rocket for each sniper. Even though it is tricky though.

My advice: download smod, then when you get tired or normal rebels being idiots, crowding around, and saying reload when the gun only has 1 round per clip (crossbow/combine sniper rifle), then just kill them and spawn HECUs. Alyx seems to be fine, but Barney does have a tendency to walk right into the line of fire (more than once being desintegrated in the nexus by the big energy core orb things).

I was able to make out with 4 rebels (2 of whom with RPGs) from the nexus to plaza and as far as the start of fierce fight toward horse statue.

The trick was that I saved 3 energy orb and 3 RPG when coming down from nexus building for maximum arsenal against striders. Right before running to the plaza with infinite amount of supply I send about 1-2 RPGs and carefully shot energy orb to one of the couple of striders and the rebels around the area will do the rest. Once one strider is defeated this way i run to the front of the nexus where the 4 columns are and grab another 3 rockets by dead rebels. This phase is trickiest as rebels really start running around and getting killed. I released all 3 RPGs to another strider helped by the another rebels with around. Now 2 strider killed i run to the round tunnel and come out and run into square tunnel where i find another 3 rockets. Use that to take out another strider. Or better yet I ran north to the building previously visited instead of to the square bunker where i find as much as 6 rockets by the dead comrade. Use them to take out another 1 or 2 strider. So before even reaching the infinite supply i was able to find another from 9-12 rockets along the way. That way the strider firepower was greatly reduced and i kept joining more rebels along the way.

I also had to use some tricks like shooting at the strider with shotgun, SMG, or pulse rifle which does no damage at all but causes the striders to redirect their fire at me instead of rebels (sure i can hide from it). Also shooting at them with any gun causes the rebels fire their rockets to them.

Once there it is really easy to snipe out remaining striders as well as the few combines at the far end.

I was also able to take out the lone strider at the long tunnel that runs to the ruined building with bunch of scanners. The way I did this was save 3 rockets before next load send the 4 rebels to the far end of the tunnel where it joins the ruined building before I make a run. Once the rebels get as far as they can i make my run and as you know, about the half way, the strider comes out and starts shooting. I send all 3 rockets followed by a regular gun fire which as usually followed by friendly NPC rockets, that will take out that lone strider gracefully and now you can peacefully run through the ruined building taking out few combines before the battle to the horse.

Back