Anyone use Gmax?

G.Freeman

Reaction score
Anyone use Gmax?

How does it compare with 3DSmax and XSI?

I've recently downloaded it and worked through half of the tutorials, as I currently can't use XSI HL2 - dont have Win XP yet. ;(

Would getting used to Gmax give me a good grounding for XSI HL2?

XSI seems alot more complicated from the little ive messed with it.

But it really depends on what your trying to do. If you are just learning to model. Stick with g-max.

Gmax is a cut-down version of 3D Studio Max.

XSi is the simples 3dapp, but it the only one i've ever used :)

actually i would like to know a bit aboout g-max...how does it work? can it export all necessary file formats?

thx

i used to have Gmax its a good little progam for a beginner but from what i hear 3DsMax is far more professional.

don't forget maya PLE!

except it has this god-awful watermark

I used to, but for some reasonmy savd files won't open. I read up on it and I have to uninstall a HotFix patch. I really don't want to do that.

yeah, GMax is good, i used to use it, and it gives you a good base for progressing onto 3DStudio. people moan about it having crap export support, but that depends on what game you trying to mod. i recall an email from Valve saying they wont be creating mod tools for GMax, but still, i know a way to get round that little problem of not exporting to the right file extension... :farmer: ( < pimp )

what do you think: is Gmax better than 3dsmax4.2 (or was it 4.1) ?

No, it's not better. Gmax is like 30 MB? But then again, the simplicity makes it ideal for beginners and simple modeling. 3dsmax 4.2 is over 500 MB, giving it more functions. For model making, however, gmax has all the tools I need.

Back