"Apparently, we suck at Episode 1."

No ammo? I completed most of that sequence with the gravity gun and debris. On hard.

If the sequence was irritating for you, then now it's underwhelming. I really don't want to see these gameplay statistics applied to currently released content. Instead, I'd just like them Valve to keep them in mind for their next release.

I'm pretty sure there is an absolute ton of petrol canisters, gas canisters and explosive barrels dotted around. Not to mention flares and concrete blocks.

The end of Lowlife was damn hard, and I'd be lying if it didn't frustrate me, but despite that I also have to echo that I don't think Valve should tone down the game just because the stats say it's too hard for some people. If nothing else the game FORCES you to get better at playing in that section; why would you want to just noob your way through it?

I tell you, there was nothing like when I first finished that area, after fighting all those zombies off in a corner somewhere and hearing Alyx say, "Elevator's here!" then making a mad dash for the lift, not even bothering to shoot the zombies unless they were absolutely in my way. At one point the mass of them was so thick that I leapt right over a cluster of fast zombies, past an exploding zombine, and weaving through regular zombies onto the elevator. When the doors closed and there were still all those necrotics trying to claw at me through the bars, that was an awesome scene. Those people who didn't get past this or took too many tries to get past it only have themselves to blame now, 'cause they might beat it but they'll never see such awesomeness like that.

Maybe Valve will reverse their decision. Do they even read these forums? Or do we have to mass e-mail them or set up a petition or something?

They read the forums, but email is a far better way to catch their attention.

Wow making it easier on EASY difficulty I would have absolutely no problem with, even removing zombies, but toning it down across the board is stupid.

I think that this would be alright for easy and normal difficulties. That way the" hardcores" can have their difficulty and if anyone complains about the update, they can just move on up to hard.

xirow said:
Why? The elevator part was very fun and challenging. But it looks like Valve is using their stats system to cut the few challenges the game had. It looks like Valve wants that even the biggest noob can play the game without getting into trouble once.
they can always cheat now cant they?

The section was mind-numbingly frustrating, and needlessly difficult. A pen-pal of mine gave up Ep 1 because he couldn't get past the elevator.

Some of you hardcore FPS fans may feel that these people are "n00bs", but they paid as much for it as you did, and deserve to get a game they can finish.

99.vikram said:
The section was mind-numbingly frustrating, and needlessly difficult. A pen-pal of mine gave up Ep 1 because he couldn't get past the elevator.

Some of you hardcore FPS fans may feel that these people are "n00bs", but they paid as much for it as you did, and deserve to get a game they can finish.

I agree. So the number of zombies should various when we move to different difficulties. As I can see, the latest update really greatly depopulated the zombies in all levels of difficulty, and have reduced the tension of the car park section a lot. It makes the game less exciting, and too easy. Personally, perhaps you may agree with, the old super-zombie swarm was really enjoyable. That was really a nice climax. But now, it's gone. The stuff in Valve should take care of those FPS fans, but they should not forget, or forsake, players like I, and us.

Samon said:
I'm pretty sure there is an absolute ton of petrol canisters, gas canisters and explosive barrels dotted around. Not to mention flares and concrete blocks.

In the original version, on my second time through, I went around and got EVERY canister, there were atleast 20, maybe 30. TONS of stuff. When I finally flipped the switch it seemed to take only half as long as the first time through (note: both times on hard) and when I got in the elevator I though to myself "WTF, why was that so much faster?!" Seriously, its about how much though you put into it. The more you have to think the better. Clearly someone, somewhere, is missing the point (reminds me of a Foxtrot cartoon).

99.vikram said:

Fair enough, but don't force into my ****ing game.

I played through there on hard and didn't die once at that part. They should make easy easier, but leave normal and hard the same.

What is the big deal?

There are numerous challenging and frantic sections through Episode 1, but I don't think it was ever Valve's intention to make them frustrating. Valve also takes player feedback very seriously. Therefor, even if neither you nor Valve thought so, the Elevator sequence was deemed too hard by a lot of people, and thus a minor tweak was made. I honestly don't understand why these kind of things offend players so much.

Leviticus said:
There are numerous challenging and frantic sections through Episode 1, but I don't think it was ever Valve's intention to make them frustrating. Valve also takes player feedback very seriously. Therefor, even if neither you nor Valve thought so, the Elevator sequence was deemed too hard by a lot of people, and thus a minor tweak was made. I honestly don't understand why these kind of things offend players so much.

Because it interferes with my gameplay experience.

A tweak is fine, but it should be optional. Applying these changes to all players is downright shitty.

99.vikram said:

I disagree. Trademark (Tradewest?) didn't dumb down my Battletoads games because I couldn't finish them. Capcom didn't dumb down M. Bison for thousands of sucky kids.
If someone can't make it through a level maybe they should stop sucking at it.

I'm not going to buy any Eps at all if this keeps up.

_Z_Ryuken said:
I disagree. Trademark (Tradewest?) didn't dumb down my Battletoads games because I couldn't finish them. Capcom didn't dumb down M. Bison for thousands of sucky kids.
If someone can't make it through a level maybe they should stop sucking at it.

I'm not going to buy any Eps at all if this keeps up.

Of course, not everyone wants playing games to be as tense and draining experience as many want it to be. You have to realize, the very fact that you are posting on a Half-life 2 forum sets you apart from a very, very large demographics that plays and enjoys these games. The only way to make entertainment that doesn't cater only to a niche audience is to create it democratically, usually setting the "Challenge" bar somewhere comfortable to the lowest common denominator. And I don't mean that negatively, as I myself play Half-life games as slowly as possible and usually on "Easy" difficulty. The narrative, atmosphere, and exploration is what draws me in, not the challenging fighting segments.

Valve should've only made the changes apply to Easy mode, yes, but none the less these kind of adaptations are understandable. And, come on, you know you are all buying all the episodes. :p

Ludah said:
Because it interferes with my gameplay experience.

A tweak is fine, but it should be optional. Applying these changes to all players is downright shitty.

I agree, and were it a more drastic change they probably would have.

Leviticus said:
Valve should've only made the changes apply to Easy mode, yes, but none the less these kind of adaptations are understandable.

When people play it in easy mode, they want to finish the game with ease. When people play it in hard mode, they really want some challenges. If all the modes are becoming so non-challenging, that's meaningless. Valve cares fps fans; it should care us as well. Zombies swarm is the feature, the main theme of that level. If Valve simply cuts it out, the entire chapter will be destroyed. The theme is destroyed, and the atmosphere is destroyed. So does one of the climaxes of the game, and the tension between the two chapters, as well as the relief when I made the escape.

Though what Half-Life 2 selling is its graphic, the Valve still needs to grab the balance between those fps fans and the gameplay, that's us.

While I died on the scene almost ten times and found it extremely irritating, that is no reason to nerf it easier. The difficulty was due my lack of skill, not too hard game.

I do hope, that they'll reverse this decision, at least as far as the zombie numbers go. I wouldn't mind a few more medpacks and ammo, though.

They should take care of both unskilled players and skilled players. Different numbers of zombies should be set on different difficulty levels. That's why there is such a difficulty level setting! If someone is an expert, of course he should have the right to play the game with challenges! NEVER REDUCE THE NUMBER OF ZOMBIES IN HARD! If no, vlave is really committing suicide.

99.vikram said:

Enter the menu and put the game on easy.

bbson_john said:
vlave is really committing suicide.

Don't be silly.

Samon, you are one of the greatest leaders here. You are going to lead the "against zombie deduction" campaign. You should be the one who write an E-mail to valve, to show all our wills. You will represent the whole hl2.net to fight for the preservation of zombies' population. :D

Oh what the hell, I loved that section, it was fun because it was hard.

I HATE NOOBS, GTFO THE INTERNETS

Samon said:
Enter the menu and put the game on easy.
Even on easy the zombies are too many compared to anything we faced in Ravenholm. What Valve should have done is left the 'Hard' setting alone.

To all who didnt complete/had huge problems with the massive zombiescene in Lowlife, seriously, get some skills and dont mess up the stats. The challenge is a part of the game, so be it :sleep:

Kk, I ain't hardcore, but I loved that section. It was one of my favourites. The Atomosphere before hand was brilliant. Then with the power on, the tension and franticness ( is that a word?) was great. I love this game, I love VALVe, but why did they do this?
For those moaning about hardcore, go on a easy setting.
I played it on medium first, then hard. On hard I died approx. 5 times there. That doesn't make me want VALVe to nerf it. The only frsutrating part I had was the Ant Guard bit, and that was on hard.:flame:

Oppressor said:
To all who didnt complete/had huge problems with the massive zombiescene in Lowlife, seriously, get some skills and dont mess up the stats.
Your logic amuses me.

Shotgun Shells. Pistol shots. Concrete blocks. Gas canisters. Petrol canisters. Explosive barrels. Flares. Debris. Chairs. Tables. Wood. All in high demand within the area. More than enough to take out the zombies.

This also has nothing to do with Ravenholm.
The fact that Valve have re-adjusted a scene, taken out its intensity and fun all because some people can't utilize the gravity gun properely amuses me.

99.vikram said:
Even on easy the zombies are too many compared to anything we faced in Ravenholm. What Valve should have done is left the 'Hard' setting alone.

This reminds me more of the turret section in Entanglement. Near endless waves of enemies with no where to run.

A True Canadian said:
This reminds me more of the turret section in Entanglement.
At least there was a shred of strategy involved there. The elevator zombie scene was an exercise in repetition. :flame:

Samon said:
See, I have the utmost respect for Valve and I'm personally of the opinion that Steam > you, but I have to disagree here. I don't mind the extra addition of health packs and shotgun shells - fair enough. But less Zombies? It totally takes the intensity out of it. This stuff needs to be optional.

Agreed 100%. Yet everyone makes mistakes, even Valve it seems.

They should just make a ultra setting that you can pick on the start of the game. I mean, Half-Life games are to easy.

99.vikram said:
At least there was a shred of strategy involved there. The elevator zombie scene was an exercise in repetition. :flame:

Both involve strategy.

In Lowlife you can do many things to increase your chances of surviving.

- run around in circles shooting zombies in front of you.
- hide in one of the corners.
- create barricades with the boxes.
- make use of the explosives.
- make use of the flares.
- target the fast zombies first.
- let your flashlight recharge fully before turning on the power.
- pick up and toss Zombine grenades with your hands instead of the gravity gun.
- conserve your ammo before entering that section.
- let Alyx do most of the shooting.
- play the game on easy instead of medium (according to the stats 74% play the game on Medium).

This patch sounds like something EA would have released...im glad I finished that chapter before the patch came out...

n00bs expecting the game to be so easy.
"Why don't I conveniently have an unlimited number of explosive barrels and radiators to pwn these creatures?"
*Cries and uninstalls game*
Pffft..

Back