Are CE users being Shafted?

S

Saon

Basically the only advantage to even buying the CE now is that you get physical copies.

Collector's Edition — includes Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source, a Half-Life 2 T-shirtand a Prima book sampler. Ships on a single DVD.

VS.

Bronze — HL2* and CS:Source. CE > Bronze

Silver — HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam. Silver > CE

Gold — HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam, Complete Strategy Guide from Prima Games, 3 different Half-Life 2 posters, Half-Life 2 hat, Half-Life 2 postcard, Half-Life 2 stickers, Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD, Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

Gold > CE.

I mean what the hell? What happened to the Black Mesa pieces that were supposed be in the CE? What happened to EVERYTHING that was supposed to be in it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Silver package ended up being 40 bucks since its off steam, while the CE is 80 or something.

I realize this has been said before, but jeez, this is ridiculous, not to mention the fact they keep stating that HL2's MP is CSS.

Im Canadian, meaning if the CE ends up being 80, im stuck paying 110 or so for it, only to be screwed out by a downloadable package thats half the price. (Silver)

Yes, this is a rant, No, I don't think its fair.

I think until we know all the exact pricing it will be too early too tell which is a good buy or bad buy.

But if those original $80 price tags for the CE stay the same, than that seems quite on the high side to me.

my personal theory on the prices are that somewhere in this contract is that what's included in teh standard retail and the equivalent on steam (bronze) be the same price

so if the retail's $50, then so will the bronze

then silver would be $60-65

and i'd venture to guess gold would be $70-80

I think it boils down to steam sales being profit for valve, retail sales being profit for vivendi (so simplify it). But the catch is valve pick what goes in the retail copies and so can royally fk vivendi by not giving them much. (valve fking em cuz vivendi fked them - lawsuit)

Also "prima book sampler" SAMPLER?!

i was ranting and raving when i read that too...and not too many pple cared..infact i was told to shutup or something :(

are pple who would have bought the CE (with all the contents that the Gold package has) being shafted? absolutely!.
us gamers are the ones being shafted midst a legal battle between VU and Valve.. but since pple are now deciding to buy via Steam, its suddenly ignored why the CE isn't as good as everyone knew it could have been :|

Don't care, still going to buy the CE. I want the dvd no matter what, and the only enticing thing in the steam versions is DoD:S but I can buy that later on when it comes :)

if the CE ends up being more expensive than the Steam silver package then yes they're getting shafted :-/

The Gold package will probably end up being 200 dollars or something because of all the stuff in it (Still unfair IMO, but if its a high price im fine with it)

However we get a Prima SAMPLER, I mean come on, a 10 page booklet with a walkthrough for the first level or something?

I honestly want to know what happened to those Black Mesa set pieces we were promised to have in the CE.

Something just seems really really wrong here.

Saon said:
I mean what the hell? What happened to the Black Mesa pieces that were supposed be in the CE? What happened to EVERYTHING that was supposed to be in it.
What do you mean by _supposed_ to be in CE? Nothing was ever confirmed.

i also foretell that the boxed edition will be to get DoD:S off steam as soon as it's finished, there's no reason why they shouldn't, valve's trying to make up for the serious lacking of CS:S being the only MP

so it has been told, and so shall it be

I'm really sorry, but what the hell are these Black Mesa pieces you say we were promised?

If the Gold package costs the same as the CE (without shipping charges) then it will own the CE, but i think the Silver will cost just below the CE, bronze the same as the retail and Gold about 10-20 dollers above the CE package.
Im buying off steam, no way im giving my money to VUG or the retailer who get most of the profits. I'm fed up with companies like Game in the uk or Ebgames (same company i think?) sticking an extra fiver or tenner on the games.

CB | Para said:
Don't care, still going to buy the CE. I want the dvd no matter what, and the only enticing thing in the steam versions is DoD:S but I can buy that later on when it comes :)

right...so this is (and u may believe i am part of the problem because i too will purchase the CE and the Gold package) Valve's way of grabbing as much cash as possible, which btw we blame publishers like VU so often of.

yeah im buying two copies of the game so i can get all the items i originally wanted..

My estimation

The Silver package has HL:S and DOD:S

CE just has HL:S

My estimation that HL:S and DOD:s will cost $15 each

This making the standard package price and the source ports sepratly: $85

CE has HL:S but is $80, with DOD: S that would make the price $95

I would go with the standard +source mods seprately

I think people are mixing facts with speculation...there were never officially confirmed any info on what the the CE would contain....

still doesn't change fact that pretty much everyone is dissapointed with what it will actually contain... and that it looks really unattractive especially as a collectors edition

Personally I pre-ordered the CE a looong time ago because CE's are usually pretty cool, but this news really ticked me off. If this truely is a pissing contest between Valve and VUG, they need to grow the hell up. While I have no intention of cancelling my pre-order since it comes with a t-shirt which other packages do not, I will probably end up also purchasing the Gold package just to get everything else and just share my extra key with a friend or something.

The Gold package will probably be priced very close to the CE. It's obvious these packages were meant to compete with Vivendi's offerings. The most expensive item in Gold is probably the Strategy Guide ($17 at Amazon). The hat, CD, stickers, posters - those are fairly cheap to make.

I'm guessing: -

Bronze: $44.99
Silver: $64.99
Gold: $79.99 to 89.99

They were on Planet Half-Life before the whole code got stolen etc. went down.

It was a picture of the day thing, and they had a news article on it I believe where gabe had said that physical pieces of black-mesa were going to be in the CE, it was supposed to be designed after the scene right at the start of half-life with barney at the computer saying he lost data and crap because of a power-failure.

More or less it probably got pulled without word to anyone :/.

Wow, a little plastic chair. Now im definitly getting the collectors edition

Heh, sadly its not much of a bonus lol.

But, it was meant to be in the "Collectors Edition" meaning there collectors items, absoulutely retarded things I would never show anyone, but bragging rights to say you have them I guess.

Saon said:
Figurines, like a tiny chair, think Lego stlye... without the lego.

Was no mention of any characters or anything like that.

http://www.planethalflife.com/potd/index.asp?id=434356

Best example I could find, take that scene, minus the people, and make everything lego size.

lol if that's true then it means they were planning to screw over people buying the CE even in the early stages....

Well, take the CE, add the little plastic set crap, it was just supposed to be another useless "Collectors" feature.

As it is, even if they re-added it, it would be the only "Collector" thing about it, and a sad one at that.

I'd very much prefer to order via steam.... but I don't know if I can resist the DVD.

If I ever need to reformat my computer, it'd be nice to know I can just grab a disk from my shelf and install rather than worry about redownloading 3.5 gigs. This is especially true since about 4 months out of the year I'm on dialup.

Now, if you could order through steam and have VALVe send you a DVD via snail mail.... that'd be nice, and worth the wait. Probably illegal, but nice.

Well I have asked and noone can confirm that they are getting the CE in Australia. So I order it from EB to ensure that I get it....
I will pay $110 US to get the game (EB dosnt believe in anything but the best shipping).
This works out to $160 AUS dollars....
I don't want some crap hybrid book, Im getting the raising the bar book and I dont want a stragety guide....why cant they give us the soundtrack instead?!

I was an ardent supporter of getting a box, but now, with these steam packages, I'm really, REALLY tempted to go for the gold package.

The gold edition is more a 'collectors' item then the collectors edition.
How stupid

chriso20 said:
I think it boils down to steam sales being profit for valve, retail sales being profit for vivendi (so simplify it). But the catch is valve pick what goes in the retail copies and so can royally fk vivendi by not giving them much. (valve fking em cuz vivendi fked them - lawsuit)

Also "prima book sampler" SAMPLER?!

quoted for you dumb-poo's

This is a classic example of you cant please all the people all of the time.

Valve is pioneering a new delivery method for games. This method cuts out the middleman (for them) and production costs lowering the cost of the final product. Instead of raking in the profit valve pass this cost saving on to consumers. People get upset because they want to buy the costlier retail version and see other people getting what they see as a better deal.

WELL IF ITS A BETTER DEAL BUY IT ONLINE!. But I want a CD!. Well too bad you can't have everthing!. Perhaps the gold edition has more stuff because you don't get a printed manual and CD, didnt think of that one did ya. And its a good point we don't even know what the prices will be yet, so all this speculation could be totally wrong, even mine :)

I highly doubt this is a case of Valve "getting one back" and Vivendi. Vivendi is the publisher and very probably gets the final say in what goes in to any Retail Collectors Edition. They've probably got some market reasearch that says "Overall sales decrease exponentially with price" and so tried to keep the collectors edition's price down in order to increase sales. Valve are looking at a more dedicated market where people are more willing to pay a higher price. so they can afford to have a higher price and so include more things. Some basic economics can help a lot in trying to explain these kind of situations. Again I'm not saying im right, Valve might be trying to screw Vivendi, I'm just giving what to me is a more plausible explanation after thinking about the issue.

Right thats 2 rather angry posts from me, time 2 go 2 bed.

I think Gold Package should be 80$, and 70$ for CE, if not lower...

I sure hope that whatever isn't offered in the Retail CE but *is* in the Gold package will be available over the Steam Store front...

ex: Steam Gold had Soundtrack CD, Hat, Stickers...etc..
Retail CE does not.

Hopefully that stuff will be available for purchase in the Steam Storefront...

everyone gets shafted. thats the idea here. I dont want cs:s, but I DO want dod:s. shafted I am.

i too am now confused as to what to do. dod:s is really making me want to buy through steam, but i really want a boxed copy. that might make me want to keep my ce pre-order.

Back