Are my specs good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehsolace

Reaction score
This has probably been asked to death by alot of people by now, but whatever :)

I know last year my computer's specs would of easily been able to run HL2, but I now have the same specs this year and I'm wondering if valve has announced anything new on the graphics stuff. Will my computer's specs be able to run HL2 in full detail mode at 1028 resolution?

1.8ghz P4 overclocked to 2.2ghz
ATI Radeon 9700 nonpro
768mb DDR pc2100 ram
Elbow-grease

:monkee:

Ohhh, damn. Sorry not good enough. I suggest suicide.

you wont beable to run FULL ASS settings with nice FPS but you can run it in Med-High with decent frames... i have a FX5200 2.0ghz 256 mbs extra ram... your computer can handle it good but id recommend an upgrade before the year is up...

I'd say get a new video card 9800 pro or better and you'll be fine.

I'd disagree with antimatter and say that your bottleneck is the CPU. I went from basically your system (P4 1.8, Radeon 9700pro, 512 megs ram) to a 2.8C, gig of dual channel DDR, and i can't tell you how happy i am... pretty cheap too. Abit IS7 mobo, corsair TwinX ram, retail P4. the 9700 is at it's limits, but it's still going strong. depending on prices when HL2 is finally released, i may look into an X800, but until then, i'm sittin pretty with this rig.

WillH said:

lol.

It'll be fine. Like other people said, it won't run at extreme high detail, but it will get the job done and get it done well.

antimatter, whyw ould he upgrade from a 9700 to a 9800 pro? ugh... nevermind

WillH said:
antimatter, whyw ould he upgrade from a 9700 to a 9800 pro? ugh... nevermind

Would it not do better then the 9700 considering its almost a year older? I guess I say this because I'm in desperate need of a video card myself. :p

antimatter said:
Would it not do better then the 9700 considering its almost a year older? I guess I say this because I'm in desperate need of a video card myself. :p

Its coming up on 2 years actually, but anyway, its still quite a respectable card and nowhere near worth upgrading from it to a 9800 pro. an x800 could be considered but in no way should a 9800 be.

so that means...
my intel 2.4G c, IS7 motherboard, 9700 non pro, dual channel DDR ram will run good?
I was about to upgrade to 9800 pro but now I have to think twice...

Upgrading the 9700 non pro to a 9800 pro is probably not the best bang for your buck. You may consider overclocking your vid card a bit first. Once the x800 hits the shelves and 9800 pro/xt prices hit as low as they'll go, maybe it would be worth it for you. *shrug* Depends how much a few frames per sec are worth to ya.

WillH said:
rofl.
That was the funniest thing I've heard all day, thanks. Anybody notice the sudden onslaught of new HL2 spec prep threads?

if 9800Xts come down in price alot....it might be worth it to upgrade to one.

The XT is only a tiny bit faster than the 9800, and the 9700 is only slower faster than the 9800. It's too minor an upgrade to spend so much money on.

speaking of which...

this kind of worries me. i got my computer less than 3 months ago. i thought it was top dog then... i got farcry and was amazed that i couldn't run it at high resolution with high detail settings and AA on without playable framerates. i hope HL2 is LESS demanding than farcry is. it was still enjoyable but it always bothered me that I had to turn detail down. so do you guys think HL2 will perform better than the CryEngine ? lemme know cuz i want to play this baby on 1280x1024 with AA and AS and all the highest details. my system is a 3.0ghz pentium 4 w/ a gig of ram and nvidia geforce fx 5900 ultra 256 mb vid. card. i know it sounds beefy, but after farcry, i'm not so confident with it anymore.

Apos said:
The XT is only a tiny bit faster than the 9800, and the 9700 is only slower faster than the 9800. It's too minor an upgrade to spend so much money on.

the 9700 is only slower faster than the 9800? i think maybe you got confused when you posted that :)

...do people *really* know how well HL2 is going to perform when it's released? The most info the general public has on it comes either from a compile of the leaked source from last year, or from suggestions by the Valve team. You guys trust their info that much? Of course, it's in their best interests to say that the game will run on as low spec a machine as they can, and even what they've said has and will change over time. I may well be wrong on this, but I think the most they've said has been, "You *can* run the game on full detail with x specs" with no indication of just how well it'll go. To be honest, I don't think even they know how well it'll perform on release, let alone the people on this forum. I would suggest just waiting until it's released to find out how well it performs - we all know how untrustworthy minimum/recommended specs are these days.

So a 2.2ghz isn't fast enough? :( What should I upgrade to? I don't want any bottlenecks...I doubt I need anymore memory though right?

HL2 hasn't been released yet, so we don't know for sure. Your computer right now seems to be a perfect balance (right processor, right amount of RAm, right video card for processor, etc), so I would not upgrade until HL2 comes out (if at all).

There's a thread in the Hardware forum just for questions like this. Use it.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back