Votes: 25 55.6%
  • yes

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Have to think about it

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters

DeltaBlast

Reaction score
The $30 difference between silver and gold is one thing... but shipping and handling and taxes another $45? wtf?

-- Complete Half-Life 2 Strategy Guide from Prima Games
-- 3 different Half-Life 2 posters
-- Half-Life Collector's box
-- Half-Life 2 hat
-- Half-Life 2 postcard
-- Half-Life 2 stickers
-- Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD
-- Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

That is the difference between silver and gold. Is that worth $75 (the price difference including s&h&t)?

I would probably wear the hat (it would replace my LOTR hat.. I'm a nerd ;)), but I have no room for extra posters, I would never send the postcard (thus it would collect dust), I don't quite see the point in having an empty box (although it wouldnt be empty, i would keep the postcard in there), stickers are pointless in general, the soundtrack would probably be downloadable (lets face it :p), for strategy guides there is the internet, and a chance to visit valve isn't something super either :p

Now, don't get me wrong, I would love to have those things, and after 2 years of intensive waiting (it was fun) I was willing to go for it... but then I heard about the extra S&H&T fee. I've bought many things over the internet and these prices are ridiculous. I'd buy it at 30 or even as high as 50... but it just isn't worth 75$ for me.

(I just heard about the fact that the s&h is so damn expensive, that's why this post is a bit negative :p)
(I voted "have to think about it", but I'll probably go for silver (as I can always upgrade later if I change my mind))

I say no because I am just in HL2 for the game experience I get. :)

Just FYI, the shipping cost is determined according to where you live, so it's going to be different for each person. I live right next to Valve, for example, and the shipping is less than ten bucks.

-UnmarkedOne

hmmm not sure, But hey, its better than the CE Retail and here in NZ the CE will be around the same price as gold steam (i think).

Well, I guess that depends on what kind of fan you are, doesn't it? I personally am waiting until the game is released in retail form (I prefer having a solid copy rather than digital code in a window's folder), so I didn't buy either.

Oh! Just a quick note- if you're buying through Steam there is no Shipping and Handling fee...

Valve has been living from HL incom since the last 5 years, they need to regain their accounts. I uderstand them in a way.

MrBongo said:
Oh! Just a quick note- if you're buying through Steam there is no Shipping and Handling fee...

Yes there is, for the gold edition. I have to pay 30 bucks to ship it here.

first off, It's not really a negative post :).

Secondly, no, looking at it objectively the international taxes add far too much to the price. You just have to make out for yourself whether or not the subjective value of the items (coolness, uniqueness because very, very few people in your country will own them because of the price & online purchase method) add enough to make it worthwhile.

Personal note : It would have been perfect had it been possible to combine the order with several other items, so the added S&H& possibly taxes would have been more in line with the amount of items received.

Just FYI, the shipping cost is determined according to where you live, so it's going to be different for each person. I live right next to Valve, for example, and the shipping is less than ten bucks.

overseas it's basically $30 for S&H and about $15 for taxes

I'm talking about the gold package through steam. This DOES in fact cost extra on S&H&T... that's what this thread is about :p

No, all that stuff is die hard fan boy nerd collecters stuff. I can just see you sitting in your room with 3 hl2 posters on your wall, wearing your hl2 hat and tee shirt listening to the hl2 soundtrack in the backround while you are filling out your hl2 postcards to send to your 2 other die hard fan boy nerd collecters that you met on the hl2 forum. OMG ROFL LMAO LOL. So basically your paying 30 dollars for a strategy guide. You don't need a guide. Theres no keys to collect. You shoot people, they die, you advance. Save the 30 bucks or paypal me the 30 bucks, I will come over and kick you in the nuts, that is the same feeling you will get 6-8 weeks when your crap arrives. Oh please let me have the strategy guide 2 months later. You will be done with the game by then. Hope this helps.

I just want the game. Really.
All this, is a marketing csheme (sp) and to piss off VU.

Stickers, hat, poster, soundtrack? Please that stuff is worth 5 bucks in NYC. :\

Jeese shows how much I know! :p

Sorry if I gave you an aneurism from the frustration.

I dont collect things.
I wouldnt pay a dime for these things

VodkA-HLC- said:
No, all that stuff is die hard fan boy nerd collecters stuff. I can just see you sitting in your room with 3 hl2 posters on your wall, wearing your hl2 hat and tee shirt listening to the hl2 soundtrack in the backround while you are filling out your hl2 postcards to send to your 2 other die hard fan boy nerd collecters that you met on the hl2 forum. OMG ROFL LMAO LOL. So basically your paying 30 dollars for a strategy guide. You don't need a guide. Theres no keys to collect. You shoot people, they die, you advance. Save the 30 bucks or paypal me the 30 bucks, I will come over and kick you in the nuts, that is the same feeling you will get 6-8 weeks when your crap arrives. Oh please let me have the strategy guide 2 months later. You will be done with the game by then. Hope this helps.

dude, thats what all CE and special versions are :p I just want the box lol, don't know why. But i have the money to burn so ill give it to VALVe

Yombi said:
I just want the box

I feel the same way about the Halo 2 collector's edition. I don't care much for the DVD-extras, just the fact that the case is metal. :D

Just a little note to all those mentioning they don't care about collectors items whatsoever - There's a bronze version for you and this thread is not about bronze vs gold but about "is gold worth S&T&H additional fees" .

That's one crappy sentence, but I'm trust you'll understand it :/

Some_God said:
OMG teh kace is metal?!/1 Oh Em Gee!

if you don't like it just dont get it! I want it so im getting it. My fault if it feels like someone kicked me in the balls when i get it.

Geeze, just because someone says it sux0rz doesn't mean someone else is going to like it.

VodkA-HLC- said:

Well-said. I agree.

Adrien C said:
Metal box ?
It would rust in a week !
Did your car? Or your spoon? Maybe your fork? Didn't think so. Metal!=iron.

There is no way all that random crap is worth an extra $75 bucks or even $30 bucks for that matter.

Just give me the games please.

Yombi said:
if you don't like it just dont get it! I want it so im getting it. My fault if it feels like someone kicked me in the balls when i get it.

Geeze, just because someone says it sux0rz doesn't mean someone else is going to like it.

No I was actually serious. I didn't know that it was going to be metal.

DarkStar said:
There is no way all that random crap is worth an extra $75 bucks or even $30 bucks for that matter.

Just give me the games please.
[sil-vur]
:sleep:

Complete Half-Life 2 Strategy Guide from Prima Games
-- 3 different Half-Life 2 posters
-- Half-Life Collector's box
-- Half-Life 2 hat
-- Half-Life 2 postcard
-- Half-Life 2 stickers
-- Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD
-- Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

Seems like a ripoff to me. Who needs a strategy guide when you have gamefaqs.com? Collector's box is nice, but not worth the extra 45 bucks. Hat,postcard,stickers,posters, who is gonna walk around with a hl2 hat on in public (Yeah you can go into all the clubs and go "Hey, baby, like my new HL2 hat?" and see how long it takes you to get jumped outside), and have 3 hl2 posters in their room hanging up? A CD sounds ok but also, not worth the extra 45 bucks. Chance to win a trip to valve, 1 out of 5000 chance LOL is that supposed to be a joke? For the money they're charging it should be 50 percent chance, and you should get to play what they've done on HL3.

Like I said before, it's a total ripoff, there's nothing worthwhile in there that's worth that much more than the regular edition. Even HL1 source, which should be free after all this crap us HL2 fans had to put up with (delays, leaving us in the dark for 6 month intervals, ect), doesn't seem worth the cash, especially considering from the latest screens I saw, is still blocky and ugly looking like HL1. But if you want to waste your money, feel free.

I thought we couldn't get any nerdier, considering we're talking about a computer game that hasn't been released yet on an internet message board, some people even trying to act like thugs because they have big post counts, but buying this....no comment. This is absolute ripoff for anyone but hardcore halflife2 fanboys. You'd either have to be a richie rich or a super hl2 fanboy to buy it.

I like posters on my wall, and putting stickers on my computer case.

I also never actually paid for HL1, so the way I see it, I still owe them $40 from 1999!

Adrien C said:
Valve has been living from HL incom since the last 5 years, they need to regain their accounts. I uderstand them in a way.

yes, but do you know how much they made?? a TON of money.

From what I remember, HL sold about 11 million copies in all. Lets say the price was an average of 30$. Thats over 300 million dollars. Not mentioning all the expansion packs. Yes, some went to VU or whatever. but still, thats a LOT of money. and they said that H-L 2 only took 20 mill. to make. :D

Back