are there ai bots in half-life 2 dm?

A

ag3nt

hey i just started playing this game and i was just wondering if there are any ai bots so i practise offline.

ag3nt

I'm afraid there are not. I doubt there will ever be any, well, I doubt there will be ones that can make use of the gravity gun effectively :)

yeah i had that. that gravity gun is hard 2 program :( its shame theres no bots...

yes a shame, i guess... <_<

heh, but anyways just practice online, do some marathon gaming sessions and your skills will jump dramatically, though many of us do have lives so i guess marathon gaming sessions are out of the question...

I thought Dog used the GG quite well and there were monsters in Vampire the Masquerade able to pick up props and throw them at you.

Afterburn3r said:
heh, but anyways just practice online, do some marathon gaming sessions and your skills will jump dramatically
That helps with practice. Not so much with those of us who want to playtest mods.... :frown:

DoctorWeeTodd said:
I thought Dog used the GG quite well and there were monsters in Vampire the Masquerade able to pick up props and throw them at you.
Only ghosts, if I recall correctly

i thought i heard bots are being developed for HL2 DM (on this forum somewhere)

I don't think it's difficult to get bots to use the Gravity Gun. It's easier than getting them to pick up items off the ground, because all they have to do is "shoot" the item in order to suck it into their GravGun, then "shoot" again at a target.

The only major problem I could see is getting the bots to not get stuck in doorways when they're carrying large objects, or bumping things into walls while turning.

I think Valve didn't do bots simply because HL2: DM is a small thing, hardly played, and not worth the money it takes to program bots for a new game-type.

The AI programmers are hard at work on the next game's bots already, from the moment HL2 hit the shelves probably. Bot programming is a perpetual undertaking, and they can't hang back for something small like HL2: DM.

Back