Are there gonna be cutscenes in HL2?

Frutkola

Reaction score
Does anyone know wether we're gonna have cutscenes in HL2, or not? You know, when you finish of a level, and then we'll se a little cinimatic film between the levels.

No cutscenes, no levels. That is part of the genius of Half-Life.

No, the entire game takes place in first-person view, like HL1.

no, and you wont be finishing the level as such, you keep on playing, no stops, apart from a small load sequence. just like half life.

NO

its only been said 5000 times every where.

BTW: wecomb to the forums :p.

thats one of the things i love about half-life, no cutscenes. makes it more "real"

There could be scenes that are scripted in the way of cutscenes, but even if there are, you won't be leaving the view of Gordon's eyes.

A True Canadian said:
There could be scenes that are scripted in the way of cutscenes, but even if there are, you won't be leaving the view of Gordon's eyes.
Exactly - I would define a cutscene as any sequence of a game where the player looses control of the camera AND the game.

HL1 had one of those when Gordon gets caught by the marines.

Dagobert said:
Exactly - I would define a cutscene as any sequence of a game where the player looses control of the camera AND the game.

HL1 had one of those when Gordon gets caught by the marines.
A cutscene is a scene that has been cut from the normal view or function of the game, wether it be 3rd person fps or rts, when a scene happen that stops you from interfering in the game, its a cutscene! Wohoo! :cheers:

no cutscenes everything happens in first person while u are playing. plus hl2 doesnt have levels, it has 'areas' as such. the game is 1 large continuation untill the end :)

fez said:
no cutscenes everything happens in first person while u are playing. plus hl2 doesnt have levels, it has 'areas' as such. the game is 1 large continuation untill the end :)
Hypothetically...

fez said:

gee...thanks for confirming that for the 20th time ! :LOL:

there. was one short cutscene in the original half life.

the one where hes fading in and out while the soilders are dragging him away.
Although still in first person, its still a cutscene.

Cutscenes kan be nice if they are done properly, liek in mgs and fear effect. But I just hope hl2 has more scenes like the tenemenst and a betetr story, caus that was the thing I was dissapointed with hl1 the most, cutscenes can be a reward for progressing and and also adding twists and turns to teh story, but in hl1 after a time, and when I realized there were not going to be any plottwist and so no real dramatic goal I didn't feel the urge to play anymore, but though I like cutscens I would liek it even more if it were like in teh tenements that jou can chose if you want to interact with the character and find out more, jou now I woud like a lot of the characters to have somethingf to tell, but only if I wanted it,that would be even cooler that cutscenes.

Actually there was another cutscene in hl1 while you are riding the tram in the begining. It is only a fraction of a second tho, so subtle you may not even realize it happened.

Ch1cKeN said:
there. was one short cutscene in the original half life.

the one where hes fading in and out while the soilders are dragging him away.
Although still in first person, its still a cutscene.
A little different than what we think of generally as 'cutscenes' though. Not really a movie/rendered image or anything.

I never really felt out of character when that was happening, I didn't lose the immersion (probably because it was kept in full first person, and it was very short)

Grey Fox said:
that was the thing I was dissapointed with hl1 the most, cutscenes can be a reward for progressing and and also adding twists and turns to teh story, but in hl1 after a time, and when I realized there were not going to be any plottwist and so no real dramatic goal I didn't feel the urge to play anymore.
Those who want cutscenes IN HL earn a crowbar to the head.

*bink!*

plot twists in HL1:
The results of the experiment
finding out the military was not there to help
discovering teleportation technology
finding yourself on an alien planet

Anyone care to add more?

Dramatic goals:
Surviving the whole freakin ordeal
Destroying the center of the 'invading' alien force (Nihilith)

JFry said:
Actually there was another cutscene in hl1 while you are riding the tram in the begining. It is only a fraction of a second tho, so subtle you may not even realize it happened.
Because it didnt? As soon as the train faded in, you controlled the camera. Where is this supposed cutscene?

It seems that getting captured by the marines is the only thing that could be considered a 'cutscene', but even then its most arguable. You never cut out of perspective. Gordon simply loses consciousness,. and so it really is in line with Gordons perspective the whole time.

Yeh, the real genius of Half-Life is that it doesn't rely on anything as crude as a cutscene to dictate the story to you.

The story isn't something you're force-fed, it's something you're a part of, that you run around in.

Like in the HL chapter "Questionable Ethics" where you find that they've been experimenting on the aliens for a good while before the accident happened. You're never explicitly told that, but you pick it up from the enviroment.

JFry said:
What the heck are you talking about?

f|uke said:

*bink!*

plot twists in HL1:

Anyone care to add more?

Dramatic goals:

Because it didnt? As soon as the train faded in, you controlled the camera. Where is this supposed cutscene?

It seems that getting captured by the marines is the only thing that could be considered a 'cutscene', but even then its most arguable. You never cut out of perspective. Gordon simply loses consciousness,. and so it really is in line with Gordons perspective the whole time.

Wow, if you think that way you could even say that a general episode of teletubies has a really good story with a lot of twists,
listen my main point of critisizm was that hl didn't really reward me for my progression, it wasn't as if if a playde the game at a certain point i would find out something shocking or so.
in you're example where you state that the goverment trying to kill you is a plottwist, well its not a good one, I mean at a certain time in the geme you come a cross a bunch of soliders that wan't to kill and thats it, it would have been nice if you could find like a wounded soldier that would tell you some info at why or something, the way they put the twists in the game made me didn't care much about it, cause it was all the same, and then there were the black ops, also without a clear reason or with anything usefull to add to the story line, now lets say if you had like in hl2 a charcater like alyx and at the end she betrays you and you find something awful out well then it makes a difference. Like I said I played mgs and other games before hl1 and so many people stated that hl1 had a good story that I was really dissapointed in it when I played the game, it did have a good story compared to other fps games on the pc but not compared to all other games. But I'm just hoping that there will be more scenes in the game like the tenemenst that have such great atmosphere, and such realistic character, and I do understand that a lot of people hate cutscenes so thats why I would like it to that jou can learn a lot of the story but only if you chose to, that its not foreced on you like with cutscenes. But i just read in the pcgameply review that the story this time is also pretty slim

Grey Fox said:
in you're example where you state that the goverment trying to kill you is a plottwist, well its not a good one, I mean at a certain time in the geme you come a cross a bunch of soliders that wan't to kill and thats it
No. See, if you took the time to absorbe the atmosphere in HL1, you would have heard the scientists and barnies talking about how everthing was going to be ok, because the military was coming to the rescue. Playing through this for the first time, there is no reason not to believe that. When I finallly saw a military personel, I felt relieved,. but then a few seconds later when he mercelessly killed a scientist,. oh shit!! Plot twist.

And they do explain it,. Black Mesa was a decided failure, and being the highly secret project that it was, a complete and thurough 'clean-up' was in order.

HL1 had plot twists. You just needed to pay attention to what people were saying in order to follow the plot. If you just run through shooting things, of course you're not going to understand what is going on and why.

f|uke said:
No. See, if you took the time to absorbe the atmosphere in HL1, you would have heard the scientists and barnies talking about how everthing was going to be ok, because the military was coming to the rescue. Playing through this for the first time, there is no reason not to believe that. When I finallly saw a military personel, I felt relieved,. but then a few seconds later when he mercelessly killed a scientist,. oh shit!! Plot twist.

And they do explain it,. Black Mesa was a decided failure, and being the highly secret project that it was, a complete and thurough 'clean-up' was in order.

HL1 had plot twists. You just needed to pay attention to what people were saying in order to follow the plot. If you just run through shooting things, of course you're not going to understand what is going on and why.

Well if you were so inpressed with hl1 story then you should really play mgs1, mgs2 and fear effect 1 and 2, although you might get a heart attack from the twists there:naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Do you mean mgs or fear effect, cause mgs is still a good game even without the cut scenens, they just make it that much better, because hideo kojima does put a lot of stuff for you to think about.
Well I knew you all would disagree with me, but I was just dissapointed in the story part of hl1, after hearing so much about it having a was only inpressed at the lack of it. But with hl2 its just that i was sooooo incredibly impressed with the atmophere in the tenements video that I just hope it will be trough the whole game. Cause with teh first hl1 i didn't have the need to progress after a while, cause i didn't think I would find out anything interesting out. look for me the g-man was just a superficial character, I just saw him once in while and at the end he sais somethin gcryptic and tahts it, well that was a dissapointer( I watched the end with a friend who had played the whole game). In short lest just say that hl1 made apoint in keeping you in the dark, I like it more when you see your questions awnsered, but with every awnser it gives you it raises 2 more questions.

The best thing about Half-Life was there was no cutscenes. However, the story presented itself out to you, and unless you have an IQ of a child, you probably picked up pieces of information throughout the game. Yes cutscenes are cool, but the whole experience in Half-Life would have been ruined if there was.

Dabs said:
No, the entire game takes place in first-person view, like HL1.

Thats one of the things that made half-life so great.

f|uke said:

*bink!*

plot twists in HL1:

Anyone care to add more?

Dramatic goals:

fisrt: wow thats such a incredible story for 20 hour long game. omg, wow :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: NOT!!!!!! I may only have an I.Q. of 118, but i know what a good and exiting story is.

SECONDLY: PLEASE FIRST ACTUALLY READ MY POSTS BEFORE YOU REPLY, I MEAN DID I AT ANY TIME SAY THAT I WANTED CUTSCENES IN HL2, WELL. NOOOOO I DIDN'T SO PLEASE LAY OFF THAT.

You people act as if you lived in a cave before playing hl1, just go and watch some good movies or play other games, and you'll see that hl1 has a crappy story compared to them

FFS,. not only did you already respond to that post,. you already responded to my responce to that post. Couldn't get it all out on the first try, eh?
Grey Fox said:
fisrt: wow thats such a incredible story for 20 hour long game
That was just a sample of the plot of HL. You know this.
Grey Fox said:
SECONDLY: PLEASE FIRST ACTUALLY READ MY POSTS BEFORE YOU REPLY, I MEAN DID I AT ANY TIME SAY THAT I WANTED CUTSCENES IN HL2, WELL. NOOOOO I DIDN'T SO PLEASE LAY OFF THAT.
You certainly implied that you thought it would be a good addition:
Grey Fox said:
caus that was the thing I was dissapointed with hl1 the most, cutscenes can be a reward for progressing and and also adding twists and turns to teh story

Grey Fox said:
You people act as if you lived in a cave before playing hl1, just go and watch some good movies or play other games, and you'll see that hl1 has a crappy story compared to them
The story really was not mind blowing or revolutionary. Certainly many movies have told more original, compelling stories. It was, however, decent. It shined, however, in the telling of the story, entirely through first person. HL was an experience. I have played plenty of other games, and no other game is on par with the Half-Life experience.

Half-Life's greatest achievement was in how it immersed the player and portrayed the story, not necessarily the story itself.

Any game can have a brilliant story with several hours of FMV, but HL impressed me simply by taking what little it had (I mean really, aliens, military coverup, not exactly original) and creating one of the best games ever. That's interactivity for you...

bizzy420 said:
i wouldnt mind seeing some crazy a$$ cutscenes in hl2.
(busts out the crowbar)
*bink! bink! bink!*

(Lol DigitalAssassin,. you beat me to it)

Back