Are we Being Gipped? (Collector's Edition Buyers)

muka3d

Reaction score
Long ago, I preordered Half-Life 2. Later on, I upgraded that preorder to the Collector's Edition, since it was announced on the EB Website. This collector's edition costs $7 more here in Canada than the Gold steam package, which is $113 CAD. $120 CAD is still quite a bit of money to pay. And what do I get with my Collector's Edition? Squat. Compared to the Gold Steam package, squat. I get a t-shirt (whoopee), and a Prima "Sampler" book. "Sampler". Does that mean a sample of the strategy guide, with only say, the first chapter in it? SAMPLER? For $120 I want the whole book!

Also, with the Gold Steam Package, you get the FULL strategy guide, 3 posters, a hat, soundtrack, etc... AND the COLLECTOR'S BOX!!! Why is this "collector's edition" called that, when it's not really anything to collect, since there are better editions?
I don't even get DoD:Source! I don't get to play CS:S right away! Nothing!

Now I don't have a credit card, and have no intention of getting one yet, so I feel a little, say, forgotten about. Valve is probably my favorite game developer, and then they go and do this.

This seems like a direct attack on Viviendi, since they do not profit from Steam sales, only retail-boxed sales. It saddens me to see that I am not getting much for my so-called "Collector's Edition".

Hmm yeah i feel the same way kinda , i'm not really much for the whole business of buying something i have to download.
But the Collectors edidtion doesnt have all teh goodies of Gold Edition and it's missing DoD like you said...

In the end , ill prolly just get both :cheers:

Serioulsly.... I'll go to gold I think... Hail to the soundtrack!! Should I begin to preload now?

Cancel your pre-order and get it on Steam.
Should I begin to preload now?
Of course!
EDIT: Heh, Anhtius (sp? :p), you posted the second I did.

Yes, give valve more fat ****ing dollars.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nice valve. Like you really needed it too.

yyup that's really lame...the whole CE thign is lame to be honest...

I'm almost in the same position except I didn't pre order anything yet(luckily) I would probably cancel my pre-order if I was you and either go steam or if that's not possible just buy the normal retail version.

MiccyNarc said:
Of course!

Done!

Will I be able to backup the preloaded files on a DVD once they're all there so I could reinstall HL2 in case?

hiln said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Oes noes, a video game company wanting more money, what is this world coming to!?1/1/!?1/1//1

:rolleyes:

The.Spiral said:
Done!

Will I be able to backup the preloaded files on a DVD once they're all there so I could reinstall HL2 in case?
Don't quote me on this, but I think you can.

Cancel your CE preorder. Ask someone you know with a credit card to buy the game for you via steam, then repay them back. Simple.

hiln said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Its not like they spent all the money they made in HL on HL2 or something.... oh wait... they did.... sheesh settle down Valve getting money = more, better games for us

Its not like they spent all the money they made in HL on HL2 or something.... oh wait... they did.... sheesh settle down Valve getting money = more, better games for us
Heaven forbid they make a profit.

BackFyr said:

but with Valve's track-record of reliability, who's to say that Gabe won't spend all the money on cheap hookers, booze and donuts instead???:monkee:

I can't have a creditcard because of my age (17) and I am waiting for this game 2 years now. All I wanted was a freakin cool CE, but no. Dumbest collecters edition ever and indeed can not even be called that because everyone can get it.

ut2k4, 20'000 copy's of the collecters edition and you got enough goodies (and the fact it's on dvd) for only 10 euro more. A 20 euro headset (ofcourse not the best headset there is, but everyone can hear me good and it has good sound) and a dvd with all kinds of tutorials to make youre own custom content (matinee/mapping/modeling/scripting....). That was bang for youre back.

Ofcourse I will still buy the game, but I think it's a bad move and they shoulden't have done this. I am going to buy the normal version now, since I don't need HL:s, sjeez atleast they could make DoD:s a free download if you buy the CE, than I would probably still buy it.

as far as i know Valve has to charge the same price for things on steam becuase they would be undercutting vivendie's prices otherwise

which would be bad

PriNcE oF SpAcE said:
but with Valve's track-record of reliability, who's to say that Gabe won't spend all the money on cheap hookers, booze and donuts instead???:monkee:

Touche Prince of Space... Touche :LOL:

it might be because they want you to buy from steam instead of buying from VUg

Yeah. Cus it'd be SOOooo much better for Vivendi Universal to get your money. :upstare:

Hyperion2010 said:
as far as i know Valve has to charge the same price for things on steam becuase they would be undercutting vivendie's prices otherwise

which would be bad

They are undercutting the price when you convert them to euro.

41 euro for the bronze
49 euro for silver

Retail here: 50euro.

I wish I had a credit card so I could get silver for cheaper and more content.

damn rip of

Don't you know ANYONE AT ALL who has a credit card?

Or are you a closet gamer??? *gasp*

ne0_shiny said:
it might be because they want you to buy from steam instead of buying from VUg

there's a good chance that IS the reason...but Valve seem to forget that not only VUG will pay for it...

IMO they owe to their fans and customers to provide the best possible deal vs. price for all their packages(even if some of the money go to VUG)....now we don't know the price of the CE yet but in all probability you'll get shafted if you buy it....that's not proper buisness IMO :|

My parents.

But they dont trust the safety enough to make payments threw the internet.

They want the Steam package to be more attractive, of course.

Also buying through steam cuts out the extra cost that would have gone to the publisher and DoD:Source can't be released through Vivendi which means any of the retial boxes, as far as I know.

Indeed.

that's why I don't understand valve. I am not the only one in this kinda situation. It's unfair to people who don't have acces to a creditcard. discrimination :p

This "Pay us now, we will give you a game later" crap is just not going to cut it, ultimately.

Yes, that's why im switching to silver and getting my preorder changed to another game (GTA:SA, MGS3, or Halo 2 {im such a sell out :(})

joepjens said:
My parents.

But they dont trust the safety enough to make payments threw the internet.

when im at my computer i run spy hunter like few times and gusse what it finds.. my cookies have about 3-16 just from surfing... the 1st time i ran spy hunter gusse what? i got like over 160 spyware and my mom had over 500 (computer from 1998 and shes nevers scanned) ne ways my moma had a key loger just today so yes its much to insecure theese days to purshace on the net >.< buy the wal-mark multiplayer + singleplayer HL2... i was guna get a DVD drive and the collectors eddition from the retail stores... then i saw what vave did to the packages... the CE = garbage now... boo... i want all the bling that comes w/ the game >.<

Trinityxero said:
when im at my computer i run spy hunter like few times and gusse what it finds.. my cookies have about 3-16 just from surfing... the 1st time i ran spy hunter gusse what? i got like over 160 spyware and my mom had over 500 (computer from 1998 and shes nevers scanned) ne ways my moma had a key loger just today so yes its much to insecure theese days to purshace on the net >.< buy the wal-mark multiplayer + singleplayer HL2... i was guna get a DVD drive and the collectors eddition from the retail stores... then i saw what vave did to the packages... the CE = garbage now... boo... i want all the bling that comes w/ the game >.<

Install heaps of different anti-spyware programs, check for wierd processes running on your computer, antivirus software :p All will be well. oh and stay away from those pr0n sites lol.

maybe you should have... i dunno... knew what you were pre-ordering before you pre-orderd it?

Just burn all the gcf files to dvd and you wont have to preload or download again. Its best to use a dvdrw so that you can just reburn all the gcf content once new patches come out that way you have a dvd back up and can reformat your pc with ease.

Also let valve get the money. They did all the hard work. I could never code for 16 hours at a time for 6 years fux that I will just pay 50 bucks which takes me a few hours to earn and enjoy the fruits of their labor.

That is the idea to undercut the retail price to get more money. duh...

Gonna see if i can cancel my pre-order tonight.

Yea, I'm seriously considering cancelling my Preorder too. The sad part is I already put down around $56 on it, cuz I sold some games at EB and the guy told me he can put it on my Preorder, and I said sure. Do they return your money, or at least, can they transfer it to another preorder I have at the current time?

I already paid up in full the Collectors Edition. I dunno if I wanna download it off of steam tho. I agree tho that the CE package could have been a little more sufficient.

I had the same dilemma. I preordered over a year ago from EB in Vancouver when I thought HL2 was gonna be released Sept 30 2003. They confirmed that I can cancel the preorder anytime up to OR AFTER game release, and take the money back or use it towards something else. I'm going steam for sure, but that leads me to my other question:

Everyone is saying that packages sold on Steam screw Vivendi of money, but I would have assumed that their agreement with Valve means they get cut of sales, regardless of the source (no pun intended). Is that what the lawsuit is mostly about on VU's side? Is it confirmed that Valve gets all the profits from Steam sales?

I'm pretty sure Valve gets all of the profits from Steam sales. I believe there was an post about this somewhere. Basically all I've understood a game publisher like Vivendi does is put the game on a CD, slap it in a box, and throw it on the shelf. Plus take care of some marketing, be it online, on TV, or store ads. So, since Valve created Steam, Valve maintains Steam, Vivendi doesn't seem to be in the picture. Hence, Vivendi probably doesn't get a dollar, since Valve did say in an interview that they own 100% of the Half-Life Intellectual Property (IP). I, personally, would rather give Valve more of their hard-earned money than to some middle-man so-to-speak. In the end, it costs me about the same anyway.

Back