Are we Being Gipped? (Collector's Edition Buyers)

of course the gamers/fans here are being shafted here.
but hey theres alot of Valve apoligists here who tell u to go purchase the Gold package if it bothers us that much... point is, aren't CE's what the Gold package represents?

/me sighs

Im getting really confused right now.
I dont want anything to do with special editions anymore.
So, lemme get this straight for ever:
What do I get when I buy Half-Life2 in a shop?
So, no special edition whatever, just HL2.
Will I be able to play dod:s and cd:s ?

Do what any hardcore gamer would do. Buy both Gold & CE ;) Especially if you want the T-shirt & the game on a CD.

>>Will I be able to play dod:s and cd:s ?
No. DoD isn't included in the basic package.

CD:S -- I assume you mean CS:S? CS:S is included in all packages. However, you will not get it until the game is released if you go with the store/box version. You only get CS:S right now if you pre-order on steam.

Dr. Freeman said:
of course the gamers/fans here are being shafted here.
but hey theres alot of Valve apoligists here who tell u to go purchase the Gold package if it bothers us that much... point is, aren't CE's what the Gold package represents?

/me sighs

Tell it to Vivendi. They're the ones who decides what goes in the collectors edition.

Alec_85 said:
Do what any hardcore gamer would do. Buy both Gold & CE ;) Especially if you want the T-shirt & the game on a CD.
Dude i have a girlfriend. I rather spend that load of cash on dinners. I just want to play HL2 and I dont need a tshirt. I would however like to play dod:s

EDIT:
Ahnteis said:
>>Will I be able to play dod:s and cd:s ?
No. DoD isn't included in the basic package.

CD:S -- I assume you mean CS:S? CS:S is included in all packages. However, you will not get it until the game is released if you go with the store/box version. You only get CS:S right now if you pre-order on steam.
Thank you for clearing that up. It'll be steam for me then.

Clavius said:
Dude i have a girlfriend. I rather spend that load of cash on dinners. I just want to play HL2 and I dont need a tshirt. I would however like to play dod:s

EDIT:

Thank you for clearing that up. It'll be steam for me then.
Dude I don't (how obvious is that?) ;( I'd rather spend it on dinners too. But if you don't need a tshirt etc then go for retail or Silver (since DOD is included in that. I think.)

And if anyone don't have a credit card. Just ask a friend or your parents. That's what I'm doing. Both actually. I'm asking a friend's mom :E (the friend is getting it too).

silver is the way to go....are you actually going to wear a hl2 shirt/hat in public? :p

i suppose it comes with a strategy guide....but where's the fun in that?

soundtrack eh....don't think i'd listen to it....

only thing i want is the games

Vivendi is responsible for the retail packaging. Valve is responsible for the Steam packaging. If you're dissatisfied with the retail Collector's Edition then take it up with Vivendi. Alternatively, show Valve how grateful you are that they want to provide fans with the best value and buy the Silver or Gold edition through Steam.

Really, this all seems very straightforward to me. After finding out just how piss poor the retail packages were I cancelled my EB preorder and got my money refunded. Now I'm looking forward to playing Counter Strike: Source when I get home from work!

If the shirt looks nice I would do it.

I don't really care what other people think.

Ahnteis said:
Tell it to Vivendi. They're the ones who decides what goes in the collectors edition.

surely Valve has a hand in it.. or are u that naive to think Valve had absolutely no say in this.

of course now, not have a say in the retail packages would give Valve a good enough excuse i suppose to say "hey we had no say in the matter" but HL2 is Valve's game still in the end...and one would question their enthusiasim(sp?) in picking out what content would be available in the CE edition.

I just bought HL2: Silver, and on Saturday I will go cancel my stupid pre-order! Yay! I can play CS:Source, and CS:CZ!

Clavius said:
Im getting really confused right now.
I dont want anything to do with special editions anymore.
So, lemme get this straight for ever:
What do I get when I buy Half-Life2 in a shop?
So, no special edition whatever, just HL2.
Will I be able to play dod:s and cd:s ?

Okay, You get..

Collectors box
Half Life 2 - DVD Medium
Half life 1 (Source)
CS:S
HL 2 T-Shirt X-Lg
Prima Sampler book

Goombatommy said:

Okay, You get..

Collectors box
Half Life 2 - DVD Medium
Half life 1 (Source)
CS:S
HL 2 T-Shirt X-Lg
Prima Sampler book

no if he buys regular retail he gets:

HL2 & CS:S

Anyone frome Canada noticed how high are the S&H charges for the gold package?! Makes me wanna buy the CE...

Back