Are we going to see Gordon in HL2?

no no no no no no no no no.

thats nine more 'no' for the tens of thousands which will follow:

not in the game.. no
MOD maybe..

We're not? OMGWTF - that sucks - I'm not gonna buy this game now if I can't see myself :p

Its something VALVe like make sure doesnt happen to make it more believable that 'you' are Gordon, same as why he never has, and will never speak.

Unless there are mirrors?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Never though of that did you? MWHAHAHA.

Are there going to be mirrors? If so, will you be able to see Gordon?

I think I'll start a new thread on this!

i heard from people that in the leak you could see gordon's body suit...any thruth to that?

Peabody McFee said:

No, don't... you won't EVER see Gordon.

Peabody McFee said:

i wouldnt...

there probably will be mirrors, and no we wont see gordon in them.

InFeRnO said:

Use the search function. Wait, I'll just tell you. No mirrors, Valve thinks it would ruin the immersion of the game if you saw yourself.

Didn't HL1 have a 3rd person mode? Or did I just hallucinate that?

Never!

O but you see his hands when you fist put the HEV suit on =D!

o wait u see his hands when you hold a gun/crowbar
LOL!!!!!!

i wonder if valve even made a gordon model this time around.

yes you probobly will be actully, in HL1 you could just enable cheats and type in ThridPerson adn it puts you in ThirdPerson and if you type FirstPerson then you go back to firstperson, so you could, but its kind of wierd (at least it was in the HL1)

And in the leak version I don't think you could have thirdperson (unless yo enabled the cheats), but I never had the third person option when I played it

switch said:
Its something VALVe like make sure doesnt happen to make it more believable that 'you' are Gordon, same as why he never has, and will never speak.

Im probally going to be flamed for this, but I dont care flame away. I still find this very stupid. If they cared about immersion so much why not get the person playing to type in there name before starting to play and they call you by your name. How you can you imagine its you when everyone that sees you calls you mr freeman. Also the not talking is rediculous, are we suppose to talk to automated scripts because thats all you will hear in the game. WHen someone ask you to do something you can reply to your computer all day saying no, but it wont matter if you dont do it, then you wont progress in the game.

Peabody McFee said:

It has been expressly stated that there are no mirrors in HL2 because they would force you to see Gordon.

johnnypoopoopant said:
do u think we will ever hear his voice???

No.

Smack500 said:
Im probally going to be flamed for this, but I dont care flame away. I still find this very stupid. If they cared about immersion so much why not get the person playing to type in there name before starting to play and they call you by your name. How you can you imagine its you when everyone that sees you calls you mr freeman. Also the not talking is rediculous, are we suppose to talk to automated scripts because thats all you will hear in the game. WHen someone ask you to do something you can reply to your computer all day saying no, but it wont matter if you dont do it, then you wont progress in the game.
(busts out crowbar) *bink!!*
You are supposed to BE Freeman. You need to make this leap of faith. How would being "John Doe" (or whatever your name is) make more sence in a post apocolyptic world? Or would only true immersion come if they mapped out your neighborhood and had the game take place there? FFS. You are FREEMAN. NOT YOU. And you can't talk because technology simply is not advanced enough to make something like that believeable. Unfortunatly being mute (and having no mirrors) is the only way to avoid idenitity complications at this point.

*bink!*

There was an extensive thread on HL2 and mirriors. In that thread, the word from VALVe was that they did not include mirrors because NOT because they didn't want you to see yourself as Gordon, but because it would be too difficult to make it look like a believable reflection (if you notice, the reflection in Doom 3 is not in proper sync)

f|uke said:
(busts out crowbar) *bink!!*
You are supposed to BE Freeman. You need to make this leap of faith. How would being "John Doe" (or whatever your name is) make more sence in a post apocolyptic world? Or would only true immersion come if they mapped out your neighborhood and had the game take place there? FFS. You are FREEMAN. NOT YOU. And you can't talk because technology simply is not advanced enough to make something like that believeable. Unfortunatly being mute (and having no mirrors) is the only way to avoid idenitity complications at this point.

*bink!*

There was an extensive thread on HL2 and mirriors. In that thread, the word from VALVe was that they did not include mirrors because NOT because they didn't want you to see yourself as Gordon, but because it would be too difficult to make it look like a believable reflection (if you notice, the reflection in Doom 3 is not in proper sync)

If they want you to beleive your gordon they have a weird way of showing it. No mirrors is not the only thing on this subject. No hand on steering wheels, and dont tell me it wouldnt look right seeing your hands on the wheel because it would sure as heck make alot more sence then seeing a up and down arrow. As for seeing him why not show a cutscene or something. I felt so much more like solid snake in metal gear solid then gordon in half life. But I must mention half life is my favorite game, because of the gameplay, ai, etc. They only thing I disliked about the game was the immersion, which I thought would be improved upon on hl2 now I can see I was wrong.

soccerdude21490 said:
yes you probobly will be actully, in HL1 you could just enable cheats and type in ThridPerson adn it puts you in ThirdPerson and if you type FirstPerson then you go back to firstperson, so you could, but its kind of wierd (at least it was in the HL1)

And in the leak version I don't think you could have thirdperson (unless yo enabled the cheats), but I never had the third person option when I played it

Keyword: cheats

Look they want you to think you are Gordon Freeman.... Thats what they want. So when you look into a mirror, they want you to see yourself, not some other dude.

Smack500 said:
They only thing I disliked about the game was the immersion, which I thought would be improved upon on hl2 now I can see I was wrong.

So you're in the camp that prefers to have their hand held as far as what character you're playing.

I find it more immersive to actually BE Gordon than to be playing AS a pre-conceived notion of what the developers imagined Gordon to be like, hence the decision on Valve's part to mimic the gameplay mechanic originally set forth by Shigeru Miyamoto on the Zelda series.

Personally, I feel it's one of the major reasons the first was such a success. To tamper with that would be to destroy the formula that made the series so great in the first place.

SFLUFAN said:
We're not? OMGWTF - that sucks - I'm not gonna buy this game now if I can't see myself :p
ahh but you can see yourself: your hands holding your gun. Though that isnt really yourself...thats just the HEV.

It'd be cool if you could look into someones glasses or something and see a little reflection of yourself.

Salmonax said:
So you're in the camp that prefers to have their hand held as far as what character you're playing.

I find it more immersive to actually BE Gordon than to be playing AS a pre-conceived notion of what the developers imagined Gordon to be like, hence the decision on Valve's part to mimic the gameplay mechanic originally set forth by Shigeru Miyamoto on the Zelda series.

Personally, I feel it's one of the major reasons the first was such a success. To tamper with that would be to destroy the formula that made the series so great in the first place.

You act as if you get to make decisions, or change the way things go. In fact you either progressed to the next part of the game, or turned it off, not really any other choices.

We can imagine a mod where the player could put a picture of his own face as a texture of the head of the player model. It's very easy to do. So we can watch ourselves in a mirror reflection...
But the problem would be for 15 year old people... imagine that, you see in a mirror the powerful gordon with the face of a cute teddy boy :)

InFeRnO said:

You walk in front of a mirror and see gordon's glasses floating....that's it.....classic :afro:

Gavon said:
I wonder if hl-2 has a mirror effect like in d3?
Its already been stated in this very thread that there are no mirrors in HL2. VALVe did not believe that a mirror effect would be convincing enough and therefor a threat to immersion.

Gavon said:
I wonder if hl-2 has a mirror effect like in d3?

You can create mirrors but the single player won't have it.

water surfaces and whatnot can be set to "reflect world" or "reflect all" in the options panel (at least for CS:S) - i'm guessing if u select "reflect all" in HL2 they will reflect everything except you...

so putting mirrors in rooms in HL2 would look rather silly, as you'd be seeing the whole room with everything in it except gordon. water surfaces are too chaotic for you to notice your absence ;)

btw f|uke did u notice in Doom3 that if you had the torch on and looked in the mirror, the torch in the mirror lit up a different bit of the room? it shone where the guy in the mirror was pointing it, which depended on where in the idle animation cycle he was.

fragShader said:
btw f|uke did u notice in Doom3 that if you had the torch on and looked in the mirror, the torch in the mirror lit up a different bit of the room? it shone where the guy in the mirror was pointing it, which depended on where in the idle animation cycle he was.
Hah! No I didn't notice that,. It was clear however that the marine model was out of sync from its first person counterpart. Its really not a reflection in a mirror as it is a doppelganger on the other side of the looking glass. :)

It is stated in the PC Gamer review that you the entire game is seen through Gordons eyes and that there are no cut-scenes. Just continuous action with you in control of Gordon the entire time.

In the Kleiner's Lab E3 video of last year you don't even see your own reflection in a computer monitor, so you probably won't be seeing him at all in-game.

OMG AT THE END GORDON FINDS OUT HE IS A VAMPIRE!!1!11

We already know what he looks like. Why would you need to see him? I'd be more interested in hearing him talk.

damn. i was looking forward to run around warching my own sexy butt. =P

ah, tudelo..

f|uke said:
Hah! No I didn't notice that,. It was clear however that the marine model was out of sync from its first person counterpart. Its really not a reflection in a mirror as it is a doppelganger on the other side of the looking glass. :)
It's not out of sync as far as the world model goes. First Person and Third Person are always out of sync in any game though. At least until the programmers realize how cool it would be to combine the third person and first person views into one.

Back