Arma 2: Free

Reaction score
http://www.arma2.com/free
Arma 2: Free (A2F) redefines the free-to-play battlefield with its truly unrivalled scale and gameplay possibilities. A2F serves up almost everything offered by the original Arma 2 - the '13th best PC game of all time', according to PC Gamer [1] - minus the campaign, HD graphics and support for user-made addons and mods.

Create your own custom-built scenarios or deploy a massive selection of missions and game-modes made by others. No micro-transactions, no hidden costs, just the same epic terrain and huge variety of equipment! This is Arma 2 Free - virtual war without the training wheels.

Arma 2: Free to download, free to play, free to share, free to host, free to create... free to play redefined!

NO CREDIT CARD OR SENSITIVE PERSONAL DATA REQUIRED TO PLAY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mgao249jNg

That looks pretty good, but no 'High Definition Graphics'? I have never played an ARMA game before, does this mean the graphics are going to be terrible?

That's pretty cool I guess. Though it seems to me no more useful than a demo to help one decide on a purchase.

That looks pretty good, but no 'High Definition Graphics'? I have never played an ARMA game before, does this mean the graphics are going to be terrible?
No, it probably just means that it'll actually run smoothly for a change.

If its the same thing they did with the DLC, then yes. The models and rendering and all that will be normal, but the textures will be uber low res.

Does it include multiplayer?

Yes.

I'm a fan of free games. I tried the demo of the regular version and liked it but never gave it a chance...just wish my rig was more up to par but this sounds like it will be with the free version

so I will finally be able to play arma whitt he hl2netters?

It's a free version without mod capabilities, and we play with mods. I'm sure we could be convinced to play a match or two without to accommodate prospective newbies though, riiiiiiiiiight?

NO MODS. NO PLAY.

I'd play if it were to convince someone to get the full game.

I have a bit of an off-topic ARMA2 question.

I re-downloaded all the ARMA2 titles/DLC of Sprocket, my question is if I should do a merged ARMA2 and OA install, or is it better to keep the two separate? Lots of mods that depend on it being a merged install etc?

Thanks for any helpful reply.

Making them separate wouldn't work. You want to install OA right to your original Arma 2 folder.

Making them separate wouldn't work. You want to install OA right to your original Arma 2 folder.

Alright, thanks! After I play around with the SP for a bit I'll check the ARMA2 MP thread on here to see what mods I need to play with you guys in the future.

Though I am unsure how good a ping I will get playing with you.

Ping isn't (shouldn't be) an issue. Just make sure you have your settings tweaked right (no post process, no or little aa, 4k-5k view distance).

Ping isn't (shouldn't be) an issue. Just make sure you have your settings tweaked right (no post process, no or little aa, 4k-5k view distance).

Yeah, currently playing with all settings High, Texture and Object Detail Very High, but that's for single-player and gives me a varied 40-50FPS, I'll probably lower AF, AA and Texture for MP to get a more stable 60.

View distance is currently only at 3600 though.

I was really surprised by how demanding the game truly is, all settings at Very High and Viewdistance at 10000 only gave me 31 FPS with regular dips to 20 in the OA benchmark, whereas the settings I mention above gave me 54 never dipping below 40 except when loading in large amount of new terrain.

Yeah, anyway, now I got ARMA2+OA+BAF+PMC all installed and patched up, thanks for the help guys!

I'm really glad you can't use mods because I bought this three freaken days ago....
First TF2 and now THIS!!

I'm not talking about us. The Arma online community is absolutely nothing like TF2s. Most servers are private, and there are so few remaining vanilla arma 2 servers. Everyone is playing OA or at least has mods if they're on Arma 2. Arma 2 going free is just going to result in a bunch of new vanilla servers full of people running around having no idea what they're doing, but it's not going to disturb or sully the existing online community because there's simply no contact between the two groups.

The Sun's site went down, where can I download Men of War from so I can use the key?

All you need to do is head to Green Man Gaming, and enter the relevant code for the game you want below - by all means, download all three.

* Arma II - a first-person shooter and military simulator.

Code: THESU-NFREE-ARMA2

* Men of War - acclaimed war-time strategy title.

Code: THESU-NFREE-MOFW2

* Tower Bloxx Deluxe - addictive, fun puzzle game.

Code: THESU-NFREE-BLOXX

The codes are valid for this weekend only - so get in quick!

In case the site's down for you.

Well, managed to get Arma 2 off them, doubt I'll ever even install it though, Tried it once before and it's lack of any actual kind of tutorial or difficulty curve just turned me off. Also, it ran like shit.

Well, managed to get Arma 2 off them, doubt I'll ever even install it though, Tried it once before and it's lack of any actual kind of tutorial or difficulty curve just turned me off. Also, it ran like shit.

Boot Camp is where the tuts are at.

Back