Artifacts on Certain Blacks

VirusType2

Reaction score
Hey, I've got onboard Video (ATi)

In the past few days I've noticed something new: I sometimes get little white lines or outlines on the black parts of certain images, and probably just .jpgs, though I'm not really sure yet. Like for example, it shows as several adjacent white pixels on my black avatar here, but it's only done that once a few days ago. I just was viewing some jpgs and it was doing it, and I came here and my avatar is not doing it.

My desktop image is mostly black and it doesn't have that problem, but it's a bmp.

It's not my image viewer, since I've seen it on web pages too.

I think I've seen this problem in the past and it went away, though I can't remember if it was when I had my Video card. That video card died and had really bad artifacts of red, green, and/or blue pixels or blotches that sometimes flickered. I can't remember if I had a problem with white appearing on blacks.

I also had some blacks on an avi that weren't true black, thought they were obviously supposed to be, but that might have just been a codec problem.

-help me figure what it is and out how to get rid of it?

-I think it could it be from the onboard video being too hot? Any other thoughts?

-could this be a monitor driver problem?

I went to my profile here on hl2.net/forums and only there is it showing the white on my avatar, possibly because my profile is so dark.

I can't take a screenshot of this effect because it's not really there digitally, only in what I see on my monitor.

So I looked in control panel/ display and the correct driver for my monitor seems to be installed, but I noticed something very odd: It's showing that I have two displays active, though my onboard video only has one video output. Perhaps I have the wrong onboard video driver installed then.

ATi Radeon 200 Xpress Series seems correct

I'll try to update it now...

EDIT:

well, nothing to roll back to, first off, so I tried updating using Microsoft Update custom search, which usually finds things like that, but it found nothing, then it occurred to me that I had seen this type of effect before when trying to take a screenshot of video where the screenshot is all black because of some kind of [overlay issue?]

I had VLC Media player paused and minimized, so I closed that, and my issues are gone.

Still confused about having dual displays. I'll try to download and install the ATi drivers again for that.

I don't know what caused your problem but I wanted to tell you that the dual displays thing is not unusual. The Radeon in my old desktop always used to confuse me by showing up as if I had two displays.

Actually, now that I come to think of it, are you using Vista? Sometimes for me VLC Player will switch to 'Vista Basic' display mode when playing back a video, which will cause the screen to momentarily go black and then revert. I don't know why it would, but maybe this switch screwed up your blacks temporarily somehow...?

Back