ASUS versus ABIT Motherboards

Azrael.

Reaction score
Alright, my friend and I are trying to decide which is a better motherboard to go with for the AMD Socket 939 Processors. We are going to go with the K8T800 Chipset, but we can't decide whether to go Asus or Abit. Here are the NewEgg links to both that we are looking at... Is there any reason why we shouldn't go with the Abit? The only thing I can see is that it lacks features (better onboard sound, etc) that we probably wont use. So which should we go with?

ASUS Mobo
ABIT Mobo

They are both awsome companies.

The asus board supports SATA/ and more Raid stuff, has better onboard audio and in general has a few extra features.

The asus board would be my choice of the two.
It is superior, but you wouldnt be unhappy with the Abit board either.

Even if you dont use the extra stuff now its good to have down the road.

I was a big fan of Asus till I bought a CUV4X and nothing but major problems. These problems might not have been so bad if it wasn't for the total lack of support from Asus, either by e-mail or forum.

On the other hand, the IC7Gmax in this machine is superb - no worries at all.

Ah, well I just decided to go with Abit. It was in stock, was cheaper, and had all the features that I needed/wanted. The only thing it lacked was the features I wasn't going to use. I will see how it works out. I'm not too worried about it though.

Hehe
Asus is not known for it's Tech support, that's for sure. ;)
Generally if I have issues I RMA the board back.
I've had to RMA 3 Abit boards in a row before I gave up and bought an Asus board for my friends PC. Any one company is not immune to bad boards or issues.

I think saving money was the right choice for you.

Yeah, I think so too. Can't go wrong with all the features that I need for less... Now all I have to worry about is building the beast, since I have never built before. When it's done though... Ohh man. AMD 3800+, X800 XT, a gig of Corsair PC3200. This is what I get for working full time and destroying my beautiful summer filled with laziness, lol.

Best of luck Azrael.

This is a home built machine with Abit mobo & Corsair pc3200LL(paired) which has been solid on the hardware front. Ensure you have a quality PSU to match, like Antecs Truepower or something similar and decent cooling and case.

HTH

Back