Atari & Valve Partner Up

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
In terms of digital game-distribution, gaming giants VALVe & Atari have formed a pact that will allow gamers to download a variety of classic PC titles with Atari’s GamersFirst. Each title will cost a whopping $20USD and will be available through Steam starting this June.
GamersFirst will begin on June 1st at participating retailers and will include a new price point of $19.99 on all existing console titles for PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Nintendo GameCube(TM), and Game Boy® Advance as well as all existing Windows titles (excluding the recently launched Dungeons & Dragons Online). Additionally, all Windows titles included in the program will be available for immediate download at Valve and Direct2Drive, also for $19.99.
To see the list of games that will be appearing soon on Steam, head on over to Atari's website.[br]

Glad to see VALVe is willing to help out Atari. Hopefully they can get back onto their feet if stuff sells well on Steam.

wait console and pc titles? All for 20 bucks? not bad.

Sounds like a cool deal, but those are a bunch of meh games to me.

I'm sure more and better will be added if it becomes a successful venture on Atari's part.

Oh cool now we can buy shitty games from Steam too :cool:

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE™: Stormreach™ is one of the titles and it's a MMO.

How are they going to do the monthly paying?

Insano said:

Keep your credit card info when you buy and never give it back, charge at will! :devil:

Insano said:

In the exact same way every other (not free) mmorpg do the monthly paying. The distribution platform har nothing to do with monthly pricing.

.bog.

boglito said:
In the exact same way every other (not free) mmorpg do the monthly paying. The distribution platform har nothing to do with monthly pricing.

.bog.
But I was wondering if they are going to implement a system for monthly paying into Steam.

Insano: Nobody knows... It's totally possible because remember when VALVe was going to have a pay-per month system for Steam (where you get every game released via Steam if you pay X dollars per month)

I'm sure the functionality is built into Steam, but I doubt Atari would use that, and rather use their own billing system.

I wonder if Valve eventually is going to use a pay-per-month system. At first it sounded ridiculous, because there were so little titles available on Steam, but now there really seems to be a flood of titles available.

I'm glad to see the games will be available on D2D as well as Steam. If I feel like buying one, I can get it from D2D since I can't use my Visa Electron with Steam. But I don't have much good will towards Atari, so I might just boycot them after that whole Dragonshard fiasco. For anyone who tried that game, it had some amazing potential, but the devs were basically left out cold for the longest time; when Atari finally managed to push the patches through the Q&A, the game was already dead.

So meh.

Insano said:
I wonder if Valve eventually is going to use a pay-per-month system. At first it sounded ridiculous, because there were so little titles available on Steam, but now there really seems to be a flood of titles available.

I hope not. Valve gets a bit of profit for every game that is sold on their platform - Hopefully that's enough of an earning for them.

-smash- said:
I hope not. Valve gets a bit of profit for every game that is sold on their platform - Hopefully that's enough of an earning for them.

It would be ok if they made it a voluntary option designed for people that spend a lot of money on games.

.bog.

Hugh_Jazz, you can use a Visa Electron on Steam, i've used mine plenty of times.

Hugh_Jazz said:
I can't use my Visa Electron with Steam.
Hm weird, that's the card I used to purchase HL2 Silver via Steam. Strange it doesn't work for you.

This would be good, if Atari was actually a good developer. :|

Holy Shit! This is insane news! Im going to be buying Act of War: High Treason. I have Act of War been waiting for this expansion to come to retail for a while now, dunno what happened to it.

This is great news and im glad 2 great companys are working together on this.

Smash: A fan of quick Photoshops since 2005. ;)

And on topic: Hope to see Indigo Prophecy on Steam soon. Though it's the same price in stores, I'm evidently too lazy to go to one.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Glad to see VALVe is willing to help out Atari. Hopefully they can get back onto their feet if stuff sells well on Steam.

Yeah I agree, personally atari have been really crap in recent times.

ZeeM said:
Oh cool now we can buy shitty games from Steam too :cool:
ha ha Steam isn't as bad as you crack it up to be.
BTW I stole your avatar and use it on another forum.

Atari said:
Line of Site: Vietnam
vader.gif

Epsi said:
Hugh_Jazz, you can use a Visa Electron on Steam, i've used mine plenty of times.

No, I can't.

Meh, it's probably me adress that ****s it up for me, pardon my French. I've got these ä's in the adress, and apparently Steam's certification thing is really strict. Either way, it works with Gamespy/Fileplanet, so I'm assuming it would work with D2D. Sadly the only games I'd want, like Farcry, are only available in the US. I dunno how strict that is, but I'm not about to give it a try.

theSteven said:
ha ha Steam isn't as bad as you crack it up to be.
BTW I stole your avatar and use it on another forum.

Really I think that the concept behind steam is cool, it's just the execution is very poor (forced updates even when all you want to play is single player, need to open internet connection every few days for verification , all games run through steam etc. It would be much better if steam was optional and would work only as a helping application to automatize updates and to be able to buy games online, download games you already bought, multiplayer, valve news etc all the future it already has but only as an option).

Btw, I stole that avatar from a user at some other forum (not hl related) and I'm sure he stole it from someone else too :p

ZeeM said:
Really I think that the concept behind steam is cool, it's just the execution is very poor (forced updates even when all you want to play is single player, need to open internet connection every few days for verification , all games run through steam etc. It would be much better if steam was optional and would work only as a helping application to automatize updates and to be able to buy games online, download games you already bought, multiplayer, valve news etc all the future it already has but only as an option).

Btw, I stole that avatar from a user at some other forum (not hl related) and I'm sure he stole it from someone else too :p
You can disable updates voor singleplayer games: "Properties" -> "Do not automatically update this game"

And as far as I know, you only need to get on Steam twice with internet for the verification. Once if you enter your code and the second time if the database has handled the request.

ZeeM said:

Lets help out the uneducated people here, THE ONLY FORCED UPDATES STEAM DOES IS ENGINE UPDATES. You cannot turn those off for a reason.

I don't mind Atari, some of there games are enjoyable.
It's a step forward if anything at all.

Insano said:
You can disable updates voor singleplayer games: "Properties" -> "Do not automatically update this game"
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you disable automatic updates for a game, it makes you update anyway when you try to play it.

Back