ATI 9800XT/9900-Pro Must Be Announced Mon/Tue To Ship With HL2

S

Sir Dingo

Well, according to all of the gossip around the net, the new ATI card named either 9800XT or 9900-Pro, is uspposed to be on store shelves the same day as HalfLife2 which is still Sept 30.
And ATI stated a while ago, that when they officially announce a product, it will no longer take 1+months to hit store shelves, but be within a week or two.

So I predict an official announcement from ATI Monday or Tuesday the 16th

OK, is this only predection or.........website address

Originally posted by G0rgon
OK, is this only predection or.........website address

it was announced on the inq, and some other websites

Sir Dingo, this could've gone with your OTHER thread on practically the same subject. Which essentially boils down to: You are opinionated and base said opinions on very little.
No offense, but come on.

why would they need to annouce it on monday? more then likely they have had the card finshied for some time, and have just been making more and stockpiling them, they could say its out tommorw, and have shipped them all 2 days before hand, and there you go its in stores.

I looked at my 8500 box the other day and it came with HL/OP4/CS/TFC so I guess its not the first deal they have had with ati

Valve + Microsoft + ATI have been 3 in a bed for a while now.

I don't remember anyone saying that the card will come out the same day as the game.

And yeah, I agree with el Chi.

Hey look on the back of your HL1 cd case. Mine has the old ATI Rage 128 logo on it. Even back then Value liked ATI. I had a Rage 128 at the time HL came out, talk about choppy framerate. The end battle was just a slideshow

Originally posted by mortiz
Valve + Microsoft + ATI have been 3 in a bed for a while now.
Wow, sounds like a geforce buyer. Fact is that there is no deal between Microsoft or ATI, both ATI and nvidia have access to the exact same API. Nvidia simply wanted to save as much money as they could, that is why ATI out performs them in almost every benchmark out there, HL2 was not an exception. Use some common sense, if there was a deal between graphic cards and Microsoft geforce would be the one that would get it as they have much more money in their pockets, well not for much longer unless they finally come out with a good card. Fact is, nvidia has cheated on many benchmarks, they have lied on many occasions and you have the nerve to suggest that ATI has some kind of a deal with Microsoft to make their cards run faster when ATI has not been proven to have done any cheating or lying in their benchmarks.
Originally posted by MacGraham
Hey look on the back of your HL1 cd case. Mine has the old ATI Rage 128 logo on it. Even back then Value liked ATI. I had a Rage 128 at the time HL came out, talk about choppy framerate. The end battle was just a slideshow
Try running that with a geforce that was the same price as that rage 128, it would have been much worse. Valve simply wants to use a card that is faster as their "official" card, there are no tricks, no conspiracy theories, etc... All of you that bought a GeForce over an ATI and saw the latest benchmarks, I feel bad for you, I really do. However, don't go making things up to make your decision look wise, simply let it go and hope next time you won't make the same mistake. Your card is still good and will play the game fine, it simply won't look as good as a Radeon would. My last 2 video cards were GeForce and right now I own a ti4200 because I am waiting to upgrade to a 9700 pro. I have never owned a ATI so I am not a ATI fan boy, I simply go by the facts and all of you should too.
-Paul

The 9800XT/9900 Pro will not be able to be produced by Sept 30, so I think the bundle will come along a bit later- maybe Christmas. So far as I know only the RV360 has been taped out and started manufacture. And it'll still be a couple months before they're produced in enough numbers to be widely available in for sale. The R360 will be even later. The production/distribution timeframe for graphics hardware is much longer than the 'gone gold' period for games.

From The Inquirer:
"ATI and its partners have won an exclusive deal to ship the game [HL2] with every Radeon 9800XT high end R360 card, scheduled to be introduced later this month."

The article also says the 9800xt will begin production in September, so if we can take this news as reliable then we can assume that this bundle will go on sale with the launch of HL2, on September 30th. Otherwise, if HL2 is delayed, I'd expect the bundle to be released whenever Hl2 hits stores.

The RV360 is the mid-range card- the successor to the Radeon 9600 Pro- probably called the 9650. The R360 is the high-end card, the successor to the 9800 Pro.
article

Originally posted by No Limit
Try running that with a geforce that was the same price as that rage 128, it would have been much worse. Valve simply wants to use a card that is faster as their "official" card, there are no tricks, no conspiracy theories, etc... All of you that bought a GeForce over an ATI and saw the latest benchmarks, I feel bad for you, I really do. However, don't go making things up to make your decision look wise, simply let it go and hope next time you won't make the same mistake. Your card is still good and will play the game fine, it simply won't look as good as a Radeon would. My last 2 video cards were GeForce and right now I own a ti4200 because I am waiting to upgrade to a 9700 pro. I have never owned a ATI so I am not a ATI fan boy, I simply go by the facts and all of you should too.
-Paul

hey i gotta 9800 now i'm no Nvidia user in deline, my point was that i thought it was funny that ATI was involved 5 years ago too with the rage128. Incidentally my friend had a TNT2 at the time that rocked compared to the ATI Rage128.

Originally posted by Sir Dingo
Well, according to all of the gossip around the net, the new ATI card named either 9800XT or 9900-Pro, is uspposed to be on store shelves the same day as HalfLife2 which is still Sept 30.
And ATI stated a while ago, that when they officially announce a product, it will no longer take 1+months to hit store shelves, but be within a week or two.

So I predict an official announcement from ATI Monday or Tuesday the 16th

Actually I heard the next nvidia and ati cards wont come out 'til next year..

ARE all the posts about the same thing by Sir Dingo getting ridiculous?

Have your say vote Yes :p

Originally posted by MacGraham
hey i gotta 9800 now i'm no Nvidia user in deline, my point was that i thought it was funny that ATI was involved 5 years ago too with the rage128. Incidentally my friend had a TNT2 at the time that rocked compared to the ATI Rage128.
Sorry I made it look like I was pointing my remark at you, I wasn't. My point is simply this, the ATI cards are better than nvidia, you can not argue that. Since you can't argue that people start making conspiracy theories about deals between valve and ati. However, since ati wins in all the dx9 benchmarks lets throw Microsoft in there too, it's obvious they want to make money off a company that's a million times smaller than they are so Bill Gates can buy himself lunch tomorrow while ruining the entire DirectX reputation. Everyone gets the exact same API, it's just a matter of who wants to spend more money to make the card work correctly with it, in this case ATI spent more money and nvidia rushed theirs.

Highly unlikely, otherwise we'd all have seen the buz and card's benchmark posted all over the web, which leads me to belive that the game won't be release on the 30th.

Re: Re: ATI 9800XT/9900-Pro Must Be Announced Mon/Tue To Ship With HL2

Originally posted by nsxownzme
Actually I heard the next nvidia and ati cards wont come out 'til next year..

You're thinking of the ATI R420 (Loki) and the Nvidia NV40. Those cards should be out around early spring next year. There will be a faster card from ATI (9800xt) and one from Nvidia as well (Geforce 5950) this year. I still haven't heard any concrete release dates. Although, it looks like Nvidia is going to announce the 5950 at Computex which runs 9/22 - 9/26.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20030910054519.html

So one could imagine that an ATI announcement is right around the corner.

Re: Re: Re: ATI 9800XT/9900-Pro Must Be Announced Mon/Tue To Ship With HL2

Originally posted by draven
You're thinking of the ATI R420 (Loki) and the Nvidia NV40. Those cards should be out around early spring next year. There will be a faster card from ATI (9800xt) and one from Nvidia as well (Geforce 5950) this year. I still haven't heard any concrete release dates. Although, it looks like Nvidia is going to announce the 5950 at Computex which runs 9/22 - 9/26.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20030910054519.html

So one could imagine that an ATI announcement is right around the corner.

Thanks for clearing that up, headcrab.

i hope its not just the SP version of hl2 in this card.

putting a card into production and getting onto store shelves takes waaaayyy longer than getting a cd mastered, replicated and distributed.

its not like everyones gonna have to buy the game in the week after it comes out either, it should expect a shelf life of well over 6 months.. so I reckon at least 2 months 'fore the bundle comes out.

Re: Re: Re: Re: ATI 9800XT/9900-Pro Must Be Announced Mon/Tue To Ship With HL2

Um, the name is actually right above the headcrab part. Thanks.

Re: Re: Re: Re: ATI 9800XT/9900-Pro Must Be Announced Mon/Tue To Ship With HL2

?

Ever think that maybe the card would come out a little after the game? there's no harm in that for ATI or HL2. I'm guessing an early october release for the card w/bundle.

Back