Ati Hd4870

Nemesis6

Reaction score
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about15370.html

The website name might indeed be very ironic, chances being that this is fake. But anyway, I'm looking forward to this card. I'm gonna replace my 8800GTX since a lot of the games I play are older ones, and the 8800GTX series has a lot of bugs like Z-buffer 'crackling'. It's annoying as all hell, and the ATI cards haven't introduced these bugs yet. And besides, everything's so god damn cheap these days, so...

Anyone else thinking about going ATI? The card is supposed to be released in "late june".

Also,
The perhaps-dual core GPU 9900 GTX will have some serious competition in ATI's RV770 -- which will probably come out labeled as a HD 4850 and HD 4870 -- if all the rumored specs are to be believed. The HD 4870 will be the first card with GDDR5 memory, and this gigabyte of memory will be tied to a 512-bit bus, and a whole flock of steam processors (480 to be more precise). Further rumors point to the card being available in the last week of June, but probably not found in stores until the first or second week of July.

Either way, the 9900 GTX going up against the HD 4870 is shaping up to be one of the best video card battles seen in a long time, if all the leaked and rumored specifications are to be believed.

Furthermore, it appears that the HD4870 will be followed up fairly quickly with a HD4870X2 dual-GPU card, so I would also expect NVIDIA to follow suit (perhaps preemptively) with a tweaking of the 9800 GX2: perhaps they'll increase the clocks a bit, and cut the price a little. I would not expect them to release a 9900GX2 card very soon, as the 9800GX2 only came out recently and has not had much time on the shelves.

www.neoseeker.com/news/8022-nvidia-...0-coming-late-june/+hd4870&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5

I believe these reviews were announced as fake.

However, the card is, I believe, still being released. I thought there was already a thread about this.

I'd be looking forward to it, but I'm mildly jealous and annoyed that it's coming out so soon. But then it was indubitably going to happen.

Sounds like an amazing card. Might get it for Xmas. Just maybe :D.

I got an HD3870X2, and it's awesome. Gets pretty damn hot though, lol

And every iteration of the Cat 8.x drivers improve performance on loads of games. Playing Crysis maxed out ("Vista"-quality settings with a patch on XP) @ 1024x768 at 50 fps = awesome

GDDR5? That sounds nice. The next thing I'll get will probably have a 6 or 7 though :p

Geez I remember considering an 8800gts 640 back when that was $330. Oh how much more I can get for less.
Oh I see the 640 is for $185 on newegg now. crapcakes.

A real price war again between nvidia and ati? :D

Customer wins!

Now if only AMD would challenge Intel. Then I could afford a dream rig.

Now if only AMD would challenge Intel. Then I could afford a dream rig.

Intel still has some amazingly priced chips despite the lack of proper competition. The Q6600 is one of the best deals out there and is far more than enough to handle today's games and apps.

Man, AMD's next GPU is so tiny. Nvidia went for the performance run but their chip is huge. Guess ATI is going for the lower power/heat angle this time.

It looks like it payed off for them though. Much cheaper to manufacture with very comparable performance. Really want to see how the 4870s perform, considering the 4850s are excellent for the price. They should have a much better overclock potential as well. 4870 X2 is a given, but I'm wondering if it could be jammed onto a single slot card. Regardless, it's very exciting to see ATI back in prime shape once again.

If they get the chip that small and power is good, think they will go with multi-chip designs?

If they get the chip that small and power is good, think they will go with multi-chip designs?

Why wouldn't they? Manufacturing costs shouldn't be too much more than a single GPU solution, especially if both dies are on the same PCB, which seems very likely given the size of the chip. I don't think they'd abandon Quadfire technology either, as this time around it has the potential to to achieve numbers close to what Nvidia has, and may even surpass Tri-SLI'd GTX 280s for much less of a cost.

I just ordered a 4850.

Well, it looks like Nvidia is already moving to counter the release of the 4850. The 9800 GTX is now $200 and the just announced 9800 GTX+ will release at $230. It has a higher clock and uses a 55nm core instead of the 65nm. Next week we can expect more of the same, most likely with a price drop of the GTX 260. The amount of Nvidia GPUs on the market right now is insane.

Haha, perfect. The consumer is getting loads of perks out of this battle :D

If it drops by another "$50", then I might consider it.

Best Buy in the USA had a deal off Visiontek products and a lot of retail stores are letting the discount get used on 4850's, or so people on the net are saying. That's $160.

I may buy an ATI card next just to help them keep Nvidia in check.

Looks like some new info in the video card scene. First of all, Nvidia has agreed to allow ATI to support CUDA on their cards, meaning both Nvidia and ATI cards will have PhysX support:

http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-38137-135.html

More good news for ATI is that EA, SEGA, and Blizzard have all signed some sort of deal to support DX10.1 in upcoming releases. The real benefits of DX10.1 has yet to be seen, but this is certainly a good way to get people to notice.

http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1335512390#post1335512390

As you probably already know, the 4870 is now available, and with it some reviews:

Anandtech
FiringSquad
HardOCP
Hexus
Rage3D
Techreport

It is truly an amazing card, at times matching and even surpassing the performance of the GTX 280 for $350 less. The only real downside to this card is that it runs hotter than any other current card on the market. It may be of your best interest to wait for some revisions, as the overclocking potential is severely limited atm.

The running hotter part can be blamed on the cooler and not a hot chip FYI. They can take it otherwise they wouldn't ship em like that. Just get a better cooler or one that isn't reference design if you don't like the temps. If the fan ran a bit faster then the heat would be off the heatsink.

I read about this running hot thing, too... but its load temperature seems to be the same as the 8800 GTX, so is there any reason to be worried? I'm getting a 4870 to replace my 8800 GTX, and it seems like heat, PSU needs, etc, are very, very identical of the 8800GTX cards, but I'm wondering, since I'll be getting the card when it ships to Denmark in a couple of days, are there any things I should be wary of?

Holy ****ing facepalm

I just can't understand this. Are the software driver programmer guys unable to communicate with the card designers or what?

Something is very wrong.

The Ati X1900GT I got is like that too with the fan. And guess what - it's damaged, and I had it for less than a year and barely played any games with it.

And god, can they spend an extra dollar or two and put a decent fan in there? ****ing shit man that tiny thing sounds three times louder than my other 12 fans combined!

Add it to the price of the card - I'm cool with that

Now, having seen the 4850x2 benchmarks, I'm leaning towards buying that instead. I wonder when it will be out, though...

Back