ATi new drivers (ATI Catalyst 5.2)

W

wadee

I recently installed the new ATi drivers... I have an AMD 64 3000+ 1GB DDR400 memory and a RADEON 9800pro 256MB card in the stress test BEFORE i installed i used to get 70-71 FPS with 1024*768 and all details to the top including AA and AF after i installed im getting 62-63 FPS which is around 8 FPS drop!!!
furthermore there's some CLI.exe file that causes problems once windows starts.... my question is am I the only one with these problem? or u guys got the same thing...

Can't help you there, I'm afraid. Still on Cat 5.1 :(

If they don't work out for you, uninstall them?

I'm still on 4.12

Did you uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones? If not then do so.

If it is the same CLI.exe error that I got. you need to install .NET FRamework 1.1 from Windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
I did that and it cleared up the error. I found the fix on another forum.

wadee said:
I recently installed the new ATi drivers... I have an AMD 64 3000+ 1GB DDR400 memory and a RADEON 9800pro 256MB card in the stress test BEFORE i installed i used to get 70-71 FPS with 1024*768 and all details to the top including AA and AF after i installed im getting 62-63 FPS which is around 8 FPS drop!!!
furthermore there's some CLI.exe file that causes problems once windows starts.... my question is am I the only one with these problem? or u guys got the same thing...

the performance drop is due to you installing the Catalyst Control Center version, rather than the regular "lite" version. THe error you are getting from CLi is due to the missing .net framework as someelse has posted earlier.

I get better performance with the CCC version than the lite, and i try them all, as i'm addicted to benchmarking. The major reason is the use of Catalyst AI, which changes the driver's settings according to application that it is currently running. This is why the .net framwork is needed, as Catalyst AI makes registry changes on-the-fly, which cannot be done without certain parts of the .net framework.

If you frequent benchmark sites, you'll have heard the fuss over optimizations to get more speed, but in the end, more speed is what most of us want anyway. Both companies, whether ATI or nVidia, optimize for games, while trying to keep the visual apperance almost exactly the same, so knowing this, i cannot complain about them, no matter what the argument is. As long as it looks the same, and goes faster, i do not care. Most of us will not do a frame-by-frame comparison and notice the difference.

CCC does eat abit of resources, but if you have 1 gig of ram, it's not enough of a hit to make a larger difference, and with the addition of Catalyst AI, should perform better. you can always close the cli application from taskmanager if you want to see what it is like without the optimizations, and when you want to go back, there is a shortcut on the start menu that will allow you to restart the run-time, and go from there.

Really, although it may be time comsuming, it's best to try every driver out there, as some will be better than others, and becasue of the myriad of hardware combinations out there, no 2 pc's are going to work exactly the same, nevermind figuring in installed programs and such. It can be hard to decide whether or not to try a new one or not, when sometimes people are so differing in their opinions, but when everyone says one is better, don't take it for granted, becasue your pc may be just that little bit different than thiers...and that can make all the difference in the world.

5.2's gave me a boost...in everything so far. I only play CMR05, Battle for Middle Earth, Far Cry and Steam games tho, as well as the 3 most common benchmarking utilities. other games may be differnt...as changes can bring bugs out that weren't there before.

I could overclock higher with the 5.1's, tho, and the 4.6's even higher yet, but clock speeds don't always equal framrates.

IMHO the 5.2's blow, I've had problems where in the coast levels of HL2 things would start to dissapear at a distance, lower frame rates, and that directx hdr program won't even run anymore. So I say blow the 5.2's and go back to whatever I was using before. lol

btw system specs:
3.4ghz intel P4 1mb L2 800mhz FSB
X800 Pro
1gb of RAM
all this other cool stuff blah blah

Back