ati radeon 9600 pro

JonTheCanuck

Reaction score
hey, i have a p4 1.7ghz processor with 768 ddr ram and an ati radeon 9600 pro, yet i only get around 20-30 fps in half life mods.... why is this? do i have some settings wrong?

Sucky graphics card. Shouldve gone for a 9700 or atleast a 9500 that you couldve softmodded to 9700 pro.

20-30 fps in that setup ?, something is very wrong

Originally posted by azz0r
Sucky graphics card. Shouldve gone for a 9700 or atleast a 9500 that you couldve softmodded to 9700 pro.

Azzor are you just dumb or something??
With hes setup, he shoud get like 60FPS with max res and effect.. there is nothing wrong with hes Graphic card, its an excellent and powerfull card to play games with!

Jon: Do you have 8xAA and 16xAF on? Or are you running another game at the same time? That's the only explanation I can think of. You have a very good system there....if all else fails, blame steam.

azz0r, would you kindly stop posting in these forums if you insist on giving poor and incorect advice?

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
Jon: Do you have 8xAA and 16xAF on? Or are you running another game at the same time? That's the only explanation I can think of. You have a very good system there....if all else fails, blame steam.

azz0r, would you kindly stop posting in these forums if you insist on giving poor and incorect advice?

i'm not too knowledgable on what that is so i couldn't tell u... lol and i dunno how to check

Originally posted by azz0r

WOW you have NO idea what you are talking about.

you box should have NO trouble getting any fps you want in any hl mod, a geforce 2 mx can get 100 fps in cs easy. something is wrong there, I suggest you grab adaware(google it) and run a virus test.

and to turn off your AA/AF:

right click on your desktop.

go down to properties and press it.

go to the settings tab at the top right.

click on the advanced button at the bottom right.

click on the opengl tab 2dn from the top right(it can move around so it may be somewhere else up there)

click the "applicatioin preferece" box for both aa and af.

do the same under the direct3d tab.

Hope this helps

He should still get more then 20FPS with 6xAA 16xAS.

Well... It really does sound like an overload of pr0n without cleearing temp. cookies and files. So yeah run some ad aware, and delete your temp. internet files.

thx for advice homer, it helped and brought fps up to about 40-60, but i should probably still be getting more than that eh? I already had adaware and i've gotten rid of all the tracker cookies

What drivers do you have? 3.7 catalyst or 3.6?

Try 3.6 first and see if there's any improvement...

9600 should be able to run half life optimally...strange...anyway try 3.6 catalyst drivers...you can get it from ati.com

have you tried in console

fps_max 72.

That should be default but who knows.

get a bootable ram tester.
a bad stick could be causing that slowdown.

Originally posted by Homer
get a bootable ram tester.
a bad stick could be causing that slowdown.

where can i get one of those? i just added 512 ddr ram in like a month ago

first off azzr, i have a radeon 9600 pro and its great, Jon, to check to see if AA is on, right click on your desktop -> settings -> advanced -> under OpenGL and Direct 3d make sure that "application preference" , this will turn AA off, though your card should come default with AA off, what company made your card?

EDIT: sorry didnt see homers post

well, in CS 1.5, the max FPS is 60, in 1.6 it's 72, what do you get in each game?

Igneri EDIT: Please dont triple post...

ok, I just found an issue on my own computer that could be it. Are you using truform? it doesnt seem to work very well with the hl engine.

i'm not sure what truform is.. sorry about my lack of knowledge in this area guys, i really appreciate the help and advice u guys r giving

truform is a thing that radion cards can do where they pump up the polygon counts in models. it doesnt work very well yet(it causes boxes to be round, etc).

to turn it off:

right click on desktop->properties->settings->advanced->direct3d

near the bottom you wll see the "TRUFORM(tm)" slider, move it to alwayse off.

do the same under opengl

yeah it was already off, this is getting annoying, trying to figure this out

hmm... whats your 3dmark/aquamark scores? lets see if we cant find out if its a hl specific issue.

Originally posted by JonTheCanuck
i got 1711 for 3dmark... i think thats bad aint it?

thats quite low....

my friend has a ti4200 and that doesnt support directx9 and he gets about 1500

you should be pushing about 3000 3dmarks...

i think it could be a card problem...

check in your bios whether you agp is set at 8x 4x or 2x set it at 8 if u can... also check your agp apature setting and bump it up to 128...

~TheRook
:bounce:

yeah agp only goes up to 4 and it was already set up to that, as for the apature, i couldn't find where it was so i could change if it needed any

the leap from 4 to 8x agp makes little difference...
to be honest... buts handy if ur mobo supports it...

i cant think of anything that could honest cause that poor performance...

are you sure its 9600 pro?

are you running the latest cats? i think 3.7

try the rage3d.com forums they own the ati quizzes

yes i'm positive its 9600 pro, i'm lookin at the box right now, and i got catalyst 3.7... something's fishy here

k i'll check it out, 1 sec

whenever i click on "end test" the program freezes, so i dunno.. :( i just want my fps !!!!!
;(

is it possible perhaps the driver from my old nvidia card possibly hasn't been totally erased? even tho i did click uninstall?

Igneri Edit: NO multiple posts...

Try doing a whole reformat.
azz0r, dont give out advice if you dont know the answer.

Originally posted by SpuD
Try doing a whole reformat.
azz0r, dont give out advice if you dont know the answer.

i actually just reformatted yesterday :rolling:

oh yah, i just used the detonator destroyer and it didn't find anything.... *sigh*

woohooo! found otu what the problem was! my card was overheating so i put a little desk fan i have right up agains the card and now i get a score of 3092! booya

Back