ATTENTION: People with choppy framerates with high-end cards

lans

Reaction score
go into your steam folder...

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\(your user name)\half-life 2\hl2\cfg

open up the CFG file and add:

fps_max "100" (or whatever you want your max fps to be)

then save.

------------------------------

The FPS was capped to 30, for me. Happened with many others too. Just change the max FPS to whatever you like. Works like a dream then!

I'm now hitting 60 frames too. Much more smoother!

hey man,

i'm having the same problems with the x800 pro...ow do u open the cfg files though....with what program?

thx a bunch,

dylan

As yellow said, you can use wordpad/notepad.

too long doing this ! just go in console while playing and :

cl_showfps 1 //show current fps more accurate than net_graph
fps_max ###

this way you can try many fps and see the result

trying it now...the game was just stuttering before....really, really, annoying....specially as doom 3 ran without breaking sweat....anyway - thx very much for posting this - hope u enjoy the game

d

...didn't work - its not saving the changes for some reason - how do u get the console up in the game?

d

it's in the options menu, you can get it to allow access to the console.

I haven't tried this yet, but I have had a few stutters with sound and framerate. Regardless... great game, just wish it ran better on my computer

In Keyboard click on Advanced then, enable console.

if the console key don't work, just re-bind it in config file

mine is:

bind F11 "toggleconsole"

Im getting around 60-70 fps maybe 55 at times. Graphics all the way high. But when i go around a corner, it just stops and waits 3 or so seconds. I believe its my 512mb ram. I have a p4 2.6 ghz and radeon 9800 pro.

Im getting a diff choppy game play. Im getting good fps but when I go around a corner or so the gameplay totally chopps up and lags for 3-5 seconds almost immovable. Its like rendering the next scene. I have p4 2.6ghz 512mb ram and radeon 9800 pro. I believe its my ram

ooops double post. Forum lagged too :(

I agree with you Pauly. Stick another 512 in there and you'll be fine.

Valve should do all this, cause there are alot of people who do not know how to open a folder.

this is crazy, years of waiting and it turns up to be buggy game :p ;(

Pauly said:
Im getting around 60-70 fps maybe 55 at times. Graphics all the way high. But when i go around a corner, it just stops and waits 3 or so seconds. I believe its my 512mb ram. I have a p4 2.6 ghz and radeon 9800 pro.

3.0 GHz, 512MB RAM and a 9800XT

running it on mostly medium, no AA and still a couple of framerate and sound hitches when going round corners. Love the game but damnit if it isn't a little hardware intensive!

How the hell is this a bug?

30 FPS lock is just to give a solid consistent performance. You can always tune it.

The game works flawlessly on many people's computer. It was steam's first test, and it did considerably well pass!

system HARDLOCKS jesus i even cut the res down to 1024x768 thats on a X800XT PE

rest of specs are

AMD64 3400+
1GB Kingmax DDR 500
Audigy 2
Raptor 74gb Raid 0

Cat 4.9s cause the 4.11s were stuffin up with pb in another game

Add commands in the autoexec.cfg, cause config.cfg is overwrited sometimes.

Pauly said:
I got the same problem after my 512MB DDRRAM burned out, so now i have 512MB left. Every game could be a bit choppy, but i decided to reinstall, and it fixed it somewhat.

Still got small pauses but not as much as before.

this is a bug of some sort...i've a brand new powerful pc and it keeps stuttering every few screens or so...yeah its playable but i want my hl2 experience to be perfect....these small pauses take u out of the game and so no matter how good it might look in between them, its..***inous

d

don't forget that when HL1 came out, there were bugs as well. Valve released patches for the game numerous times - and things got better. Just be glad the wait is over. :)

that 'fps_max "100"' line still isn't being saved in my config folder - any thoughts anyone ? also i couldn't find that autoexec.cfg...anyone?

d

Hunchback - thats because the hl2cfg is overwritten by steam every time it starts. you're supposed to make the autoexec.cfg yourself and put that line in. Honestly tho..thats not gonna change a thing. My framerate is most definately not capped at 30fps. Im running a x800xtpe and its almost always 80 or thereabouts. So how can it be capped for some and not for others? dont make sense.

But ah well..this game has issues with audigy 2 soundcards. Ive tried disabling EAX and CMSS to no avail. Ive defraged..nothing.

This is so damn annoying. Valve need to sort this shit out. Its worth noting that when the sound glitches occur the framerate also lags causing the video to lag...like whenever a new sound is beeing initiated it seems.

damn. not good. :(

myne also kept pausing so put the settings down all on low and it still did it so put them back up and it works fine mostly except the occasionmal pause here and there.

Pallaris said:
But ah well..this game has issues with audigy 2 soundcards. Ive tried disabling EAX and CMSS to no avail. Ive defraged..nothing.

This is so damn annoying. Valve need to sort this shit out. Its worth noting that when the sound glitches occur the framerate also lags causing the video to lag...like whenever a new sound is beeing initiated it seems.

damn. not good. :(

Hey m8 try not updating the audigy 2 drivers, just use the standard that followed with the card, I havent tried this with HL² yet cuz im still at work - but it have worket with alot of games even with mp3/wave files.

can someone tell me how to create an autoexec cfg file cos in another thread a guys given some tips about audio stuff to write in but i can#t try it out yet - thx

d

DrSinistro said:
too long doing this ! just go in console while playing and :

cl_showfps 1 //show current fps more accurate than net_graph
fps_max ###

this way you can try many fps and see the result

i usually use net_graph 3.
are these two commands the same? or are they for different things?

Audigy 2 theory seems correct. I have a p4 3ghz 1gig of ram and a 9800 pro. I get the little stutteres all the time too. And they do coincide with sound crackles pops, the loading of new sounds etc...it really sucks. My framerate is also a tad lower than I hoped for, but tweaking and drivers should get me a little happier.

lans, ya made my day, thanks man. I forgot all about the fps commands. In the midst of my excitement, I didn't even stop to think the framerate might be capped. It ran sort of jerky but was definitely playable, so I plowed right on through for hours. After getting some sleep and reading your post, I've got the game running completely smooth. Thanks!

Hunchback said:
can someone tell me how to create an autoexec cfg file cos in another thread a guys given some tips about audio stuff to write in but i can#t try it out yet - thx
Start Notepad. Type in the tweaks and what not. Go to "File>Save As..." and enter "autoexec.cfg" as the filename.

For those with low-end cards who want good framerates:
Open console and type
fps_min 200

Now your fps cant go below 200!

Now try
fps_min 200000000

The posibilities are endless!

Where do I put the autoexec.cfg? In the same folder with the other config file...or higher up?

I think HL2 is very cpu intensive - more so than GPU (although a pretty good dx 9 card is very welcome)

My friend has a X800pro, but an xp2600 (266 fps). He's getting less frames than me with a Barton @ 2.5 gig (420 fsb) and a 9800 pro.

I also get the same frame rates at 1024*768 with 4*AA and 8*AF as I do with no AA or AF. That suggests a cpu bottleneck to me.

Pauly said:

I have identical specs. AFter experimenting, it's the texture detail. If I turn it up high, you get stuttering and stopping as it thrashes the hd for textures (I assume). When I turned the detail back down to medium, it almost never happens. More RAM may just do the trick.

I experimented by turning the resolution down to 800X600 with high textures and it chugged just as much as 1024X768. Turning down the detail on textures did the trick.

Go to the Steamapps/half life 2/hl2 folder, open config.cfg, change fps_max to 100, save it, close it, and make it read only.

There, everything's fixed :D

Back