Audio Problems with HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
DarkTimes said:
Hey. I posted earlier how I had the stuttering, but now I've removed my SoundBlaster Live! card and turned on my motherboards onboard soundchip (Realtec 97 Codec) and the problem has gone away almost entirely for me (small hang or two after loading levels still).

I know that others have tried this and it didn't work, but for some reason it has worked for me. I suggest that if you have a spare soundcard or an unused onboard soundchip then you should at least give it a try, if you haven't already.

Dunno whyt, but it has worked for me.

got the ac97 onboard audio and still stutters for me

halflife4.jpg

Lol, nice one ;)
I've just emailed that erik dewd from valve, he may never read the email but it wont hurt tot try ;)

ok, tommieh, they're getting worse now...

edit: but the first bunch was good, i might do one myself later on, IF THE DAMN PATCH ISNT GOING TO BE OUT TODAY...

so long

working now but no miracle fix

I uninstalled and installed HL2 and steam for the 3rd time this morning. Two things happened that didn't happen before. First it didn't stop during the updates and unlocking telling me the steam servers were busy. The first 2 times it did. Once steam launched, it had a menu that was never there before. I went into the game and used the default video settings which were everything high and trilinear filtering. It worked without the stuttering. I don't know why but it does now.

wasted said:

edit: but the first bunch was good, i might do one myself later on, IF THE DAMN PATCH ISNT GOING TO BE OUT TODAY...

so long

Just killing some time :LOL:

Hi all,

I am not a headcrab!!! :)

However, I was new to this forum, but after having read through this and some other topics I feel we are kind of family ;)

So: I had the same probs. Yes, "had". Below settings did the trick for me. I know they're posted several times throughout this topic, but since one has a right to post it doesn't work, it seems no more than fair to post successes perhaps to give some peeps hope/help.

Edit the config.cfg file if the hl2\cfg folder and set the following.

cl_forcepreload "1"
sv_forcepreload "1"
cl_smooth "0"
snd_mixahead "4.5"

So this worked. This should, however, not have been a problem in the first place!

I'd also like to mention that I have Kazaa lite codecs installed, and they do not seem to conflict contrary to what some other folks seem to experience. I am now running 1280x1024, no AA and no shadows, but that's just because I don't care 'bout them. I need FPS, and lots of it.

Specs:
Asus A7N8X Nforce 2 1007 bios (std)
AMD 3000+
MSI Geforce 6800 with latest WHQL drivers from Nvidia
Win XP Pro SP1
1 GB RAM
2 x 120 GB Seagate 7200.7 (RAID0)
(Nothing particularly special I would say)

Great, great game, pity about the bug.

"I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my management, my girlfriend and everybody else who made this possible for me!"

ElAguila said:
I uninstalled and installed HL2 and steam for the 3rd time this morning. Two things happened that didn't happen before. First it didn't stop during the updates and unlocking telling me the steam servers were busy. The first 2 times it did. Once steam launched, it had a menu that was never there before. I went into the game and used the default video settings which were everything high and trilinear filtering. It worked without the stuttering. I don't know why but it does now.

ok, i'll now uninstall/install until this shit works :rolling:

Heapsize:
Start STEAM - Play Games - Rightclick HL² - Properties - Startup Options: -heapsize (½ of your RAM) e.g. -heapsize 256000 with 512MB Memory installed. You can vary it a bit.

Cya

wasted said:

so long
Find one of Tommieh's moronic posts (not too hard) and click on the Tommieh link. Select "View Public Profile" then "Add Tommieh to Your Ignore List".

At the "Add Tommieh to your list?" prompt select submit. :D

haha, i just select uninstall from the HL2 dvd autostart menu, and all it does is removing the hl2 icon from the desktop
n1!

appoooh said:
Find one of Tommieh's moronic posts (not too hard) and click on the Tommieh link. Select "View Public Profile" then "Add Tommieh to Your Ignore List".

At the "Add Tommieh to your list?" prompt select submit. :D

Great tip! Works perfectly! Now I just get this line
"This message is hidden because Tommieh is on your ignore list."
:)

hi again,

last time I looked on this thread, it was yesterday, but I don't want to read from page 34 to 50 - so my question: has anything happend til now? patch, update or a new statement from valve?
thanx

Koala_kid said:
hi again,

last time I looked on this thread, it was yesterday, but I don't want to read from page 34 to 50 - so my question: has anything happend til now? patch, update or a new statement from valve?
thanx

a post from valve on an other forum that they know the problems...
but no changes so far :hmph:

Just thought i'd throw my hat in the ring too!

Seems to be getting worse the further through the game i get. Level 1 had very few problems, level 4 almost unplayable.

Koala_kid said:
hi again,

thanx

Summary: Nope no patch asyet. Some mention of people misteriously heving different menu's after loging in to Steam, little better performance.
For me the above mentioned settings worked; for most others not.

Today i visited a friend who said "HL2 works perfectly. I have no stuttering... Then i watched him play and he also has the stuttering, but just isn't annyoed by it and hardly notices ist.

I think:

Every HL2 Installation in the world has the problem. Some users are annoyed by it, others not. So there is no system that hasn't got the stuttering.

I don't know if this has been posted, but yahoo has a review up (in which HL2 receives a 10, BTW) and they mention the problems many of us are having. It's good to know this is getting a little press.

Excerpt:

"Just to seem human, the team at Valve left in a few flaws. As in the original game, Gordon can get hung up on some unlikely obstacles, such as a one-gallon paint can on the floor. And though the game will actually run well on older PCs, no matter your hardware or settings, there are sound hitches. Load times are frequent -- we really wish Valve had experimented with streaming content. Also, although our test versions worked fine, there have been reports of players unable to even initiate the game. Valve's anti-piracy measure, which requires an Internet connection to play even store-bought copies of the game, is struggling under the huge demand of opening day."

tommieh... you crack me up man :) ... funny.

DJShamrock said:
Well, I posted this problem on the front page of HL2Central.net
http://www.hl2central.net/index.php

I hope the other sites take notice and follow suit.

Nice! Finally some front page coverage of this! They cant hide now!!! Muahaha ... *takes out whip*

I wanted to delete this post but i could not so ... ignore

Hmmm.... no sound at all!!

i don't know if anyone else is getting this problem, but i just finished downloading HL2 and everything seems to be just fine..... except for the audio. Basically in the fact that there is none!! :|

I'm no expert on computers, especially the audio side of things and have no idea why they aren't working.

Please help guys, oh, and keep it as simple as possible.
Thx, Bazzle

oh, forgot to mention, the intro to the game is fine (Valve logo) it's just once onto the main screen, everything goes dead. Once i start a new game, there is no sound either! The G-man is miming!!

Bazzle :(

i wonder are they working away trying to fix the problem and updating Steam as they go ?

andy

attachment.php

Sorry, dunno how to include the pic in post. Ne1 wanna enlighten me? :p

hahahaha

but the game is great

along side my modded xbox - my best buy of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back