Audio Problems with HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another one... :-(
XP Pro SP 2
Centrino 2gig 1 gig ram
ATI radeon 9700
Realtek AC97

You know, here in London, when our underground trains stop still in tunnels, they have started to make the driver tell you why your sat still, and when he things your going to move again. It don’t stop the trains breaking down, but for some reason it never seems quite so bad once you know the reason…

I dont exactly if it's a sound issue I am having, but I can only play for about 5 to 10 minutes and the game crashes* It repeats the last processed sound over and over and I am not able to move or get to the task manager. The only thing that my pc then responds to is the power button!!! ;( Stop :monkee: ing around and release a patch I want to :sniper: some :cat: 's !!!!!!

AMD 64 3200+
1 GB Mushkin Bue line PC3200 DDR400
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
ATI ati Radeon 9800XT

if that will help :|

I was wondering if the problem is only with the downloaded versions of HL2 over Steam, do people with the CD/DVD version also have this problem?
This could be why its be so overlooked as all reviews and QA of the game would of been on CD/DVD.
Could the activation of the steam servers started this problem only with the downloaded version?

Can someone here say the stutter is also on the CD/DVD versions?

I almost want to go buy the funkin dvd version see if that is what it is!

Although I don't own it, the stuttering is also an issue on the CD/DVD versions. Serveral owners of these versions have posted confirming this.

OK was just wondering cause Vampire Bloodlines works a dream, uses the same engine to.
Whats even funnier they seem to have used the engine better than Valve cause it dosent load a part of a lvl every 3 mins, but thats down to Steam.

it's not anything to do with whether you bought the cd, dvd or steam purchase.

The funny thing is that because nobody who has reviewed this game has experienced it, I think it had something to do with when the game was unlocked. Maybe not all of the files were unlocked properly?

I posted a poll on hl2central.net to see how many people are experiencing this...
http://forums.hl2central.net/index.php?showtopic=4433&hl=

Right now 60% of end users are experiencing this. But we don't have alot of members active today for obvious reasons.

If 50% of people are getting this, its more than just a bug, its a disaster.

hl2hl2hl2 said:
I dont exactly if it's a sound issue I am having, but I can only play for about 5 to 10 minutes and the game crashes* It repeats the last processed sound over and over and I am not able to move or get to the task manager. The only thing that my pc then responds to is the power button!!! ;( Stop :monkee: ing around and release a patch I want to :sniper: some :cat: 's !!!!!!

That sounds more like a hardware stability issue.. check you're temps, voltage rails, try a little more vcore for CPU if temps are ok. Prime95 is a good program for testing CPU and RAM stability, if it does the torture test for 6 hours or more then you can be sure it's stable.
The stutters stand out a mile it's definetely a black and white thing..

Does anyone else get continuous stutters when resetting video modes? I get the 'usual' stuttering in game, but every time I change resolution or something I get looping/stuttering audio during the switch.

x2501x said:
Does anyone else get continuous stutters when resetting video modes? I get the 'usual' stuttering in game, but every time I change resolution or something I get looping/stuttering audio during the switch.

Yeah I noticed that too.

Weren't all the major reviews carried out in Valve's offices (by invitation) to prevent another leak? That could well be the reason reviewers didn't encounter the problem.

x2501x said:
Yup i get the looping/stuttering when changing the video settings within game. Maybe its not sound related at-all, maybe its the source engine loading objects into the scene for the level your playing at key points?? I dunno?? at least Valve have got plenty of possible causes listed in this thread. It should be enough for them to come up with a fix/patch.

330+ posts and almost 35,000 views... I think we can officially declare that Valve has screwed the pooch on this one. :eek:

CastleBravo said:
330+ posts and almost 35,000 views... I think we can officially declare that Valve has screwed the pooch on this one. :eek:

I second that. But they're being really good about it, you know. Keeping everyone informed as to whats going on and what they're doing about it.... yeah....

I just registered to say that the New 4.12 ATI beta drivers seemed to have fixed the stuttering problem for me and also given me a good performance boost it seems. So if you haven’t already tried them, I suggest you do so cuz I just played the entire jet ski part without any stuttering, other than the occasional autosave/section load.

If you don’t have an ATI card what helped me also is setting texture detail to medium, turning off hardware acceleration in DX and setting sound to 2 speakers. Obviously I don’t need to do any of those things anymore with the new ATI Drivers.

Rackus said:
I just registered to say that the New 4.12 ATI beta drivers seemed to have fixed the stuttering problem for me and also given me a good performance boost it seems.

I've tried that, but it didn't do anything to help the sound stuttering.

Capoeirista said:
I second that. But they're being really good about it, you know. Keeping everyone informed as to whats going on and what they're doing about it.... yeah....

no they're not.

they've made one post in this thread, asking a question.

i'd hardly call that keeping us update

Pippinator said:
no they're not.

Yeah, sorry, I was trying to sound sarcastic. I guess it didn't come off too well :)

local content

I think the theory that something screwed up with the steam unlocking the files is sounding more and more logical. Later this evening I am going to use the Delete Local Game Content button for HL2 and start over again and see if that gets rid of the problem. The only problem I have in doing that is being able to get the content downloaded again within 5 hours. It took 6 hours yesterday and I have a very good broadband connection.

Pippinator said:
no they're not.

I think it was two posts in this thread. Also, a whole bunch in the pennyarcade thread. What? do you expect all of Valve's employees to be monitoring forums full-time, and responding to the same question over and over?

They're working on it. Chill.

Add me to the list...

Stutters like crazy.

3.2Ghz P4
Intel D925XCV PCI-E mobo
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 PC4300
256Mb ATI x800XT PCI-E
Audigy 2 ZS

When the sound's not interfering it flies! :angel:

Pippinator said:
no they're not.

I'm pretty sure the guy was being sarcastic.

Anyway, add me to the list. Stuttering throughout the game, and I've tried every proposed fix. Nothing works. I sure am glad I bought the $90 Collector's Edition DVD. :|

Athlon 3200+ @2.2ghz
nForce2 mobo
1g pc3200 ram
Radeon 9800 Pro
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard

And just so you know, Valve, when your next project rolls around, I won't be part of the launch day statistics.

Add me to the list

Amd XP 2500 OC to 2800
Aopen 400vn mobo
512 pc 3200 ram
9800 pro

Game is smooth as silk but when that sound stutter comes its a real let down.

Setting different resolution

I normally play games at 1280x1024 in order to compliment my LCD. I saw somewhere to try lowering the res, so I did to 1024x768 and lo and behold, it still stutters a bit, but it ceased crashing and/or hanging bigtime on sounds. I still get occasional stutters, but not nearly as bad.

I think this is really a video issue, but with the sound sync, it tries to slow the sound down to match the video. I've noticed that by swinging the camera around quickly, the same thing happens. I am running a GeForce 6800, a 2.1 GbAMD and 1Gb of RAM as well as an Audigy. All drivers are updated. The only thing I didn't do was update the bios, cuz I hate doing that, so there....thrrrpt.

I am going to try lowering my refresh rate from 75 to see if that has any additional effect. We'll see. Anyone else have this work?

valve forums are down again so cannot even add my voice to the list of peeps with this problem...

valve = 2bit

Feel like sending valve a bill, there clearly state the min spec.

My machine beats it hands down, i purchase the game (the same as buying any service) and then have to alter it to work...

I charge £35 a hour for hand coded work.....

Should defo send them a bill for all the hours i have lost....

Still no fix...

same error here, thought i was the only one! you guys have made me happy to know ia int alone

Got a sound blaster live! value and get the same bug.
I think it has something to do with EAX since when I switch in the audio options to Stereo its gone.

Check this out

Okay, I decided to monitor more closely what my pc is doing while playing HL2. I have 1 gig of RAM. This game never uses more than 512! NEVER. I played and kept a log of RAM usage. I'm even using the heapsize tweak and it's not using the RAM up. Yet the game continues to hit the hard drive. Why should it hit the hard drive? Shouldn't it be loading everything it can ahead of time? I've tried quite a few different tweaks to get preloading to actually happen, but my RAM seems to always stay the same. Weird stuff.

BTW, the game is quite playable for me. I get stuttering at times when textures and sounds are being loaded from my hard drive. But it's not all that bad. It just seems to happen much more than it needs to.

did i read right someome was playing with virus protection enabled????

Okay, my graph was a bit skewed and I read my data wrong. It does get above 600, but never more than 640. D3 uses much more than that. Take that for what it's worth.

luggage.jpg

I have the same problem.

Using Audigy 2,

Somethings i've done to remedy the problem...

snd_mixahead 0.7, -heapsize tweak, sv_preload 1, cl_preload 1

its alittle better than before now, but still there, on my friends system using Audigy he doesn't have even 1 hitch!

Ruben said:
Pippinator:

1. Calling me an idiot because you presume i have all options turned up to max makes you ... well you get it.

2. Presuming i have not defragged my haddrives makes you.. yeah you guessed it.

3. Presuming i do not know there are a lot of different computersystems makes you... yeah.

4. Coming here with your 38 posts and trolling me makes you a scmuck, i bet you are a 17 year old idiot who does not know his head from his ass speaking the way you do. Calling me an idiot based on my post in this thread proves to me that you are the ONE!

5. I bet i have played more PC titles than you ever had in your life, judging by your statement in the above post. Calling me a console gamer and no proper gamer. How nice.

HAve some respect for Valve... What are you? Who the hell are you? Get away from here unless you have some answers! Defragmenting your hard drives and updating your drivers is the least of my problems. Technical issues is the least of my problems. If you read these posts instead of trolling in here and being a smartass you will see that there are highend systems that have the same exact problem.

And by the way you little brat ... my 9500 pro can measure itself agaiinst many new ati cards... its the most versatile DX9 card ATI ever created so STFU kid.

Now go on and troll some other thread.

Dont mind Pip hes one of them "Know-It-All's" who really knows S**t.

And i aslo have the same problem but its not too bad. When you save or load a game the sounds stutters for a few seconds and the same for Auto-Saving. The game is brilliant.

Amd Xp 2800
768 m ram
Nvidia Geforce 5900 xt 128 mb
Audigy Sound card

But im sure Valve will fix it.

Ti22 said:
its alittle better than before now, but still there, on my friends system using Audigy he doesn't have even 1 hitch!

Some people have all the luck! I guess a patch will come out sooner or later. Hopefully sooner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back