Awesome shows, that were unfortunately cancelled.

Sparta

Reaction score
Ok people, what are some of your favourite shows, or shows you generally think are awesome, that got cancelled due to ratings or budget costs?

For me, Carnivale

Awesome awesome HBO show set in the 1930's dustbowl of America. It tells the story of a travelling carnival that comes across a young kid named Ben Hawkins (played by Nick Stahl). A runaway member of a chain gang, Ben's mother has recently passed and as he's burying her, a bulldozer rolls along and the driver says his house to be demolished by order of the bank. Just then the carnival rolls up and helps bury his mother, and Ben inevitably joins with them. Meanwhile, in some other place, a charismatic preacher by the name of Brother Justin Crowe is discovering he has unusual powers.

Thats a really crappy synopsis of the first episode but you get the jist of it. Ben and Brother Justin are the ultimate good and evil, and the show would've eventually ended at the site of the first ever atomic bomb test, Trinity Test site, in Alamogordo New Mexico 1945.

Again, my summary of it makes it look really dodgy, but the show itself is as unique as they come. Not only was the setting totally unique (1930's travelling carnival in the west, during the dustbowl times of America) but the execution, directing, story and acting was also as good as TV can get. It had a story arc that was kind of like Twin Peaks meets Lost (Weird shit happening and some mysterious things that come out nowhere) but instead of dragging things out like Lost does and never resolving them, Carnivale solved its main storyline by the middle of season 2, and by the finale of season had wrapped up almost every plothole in the show except for the obvious cliffhanger (The finale of season 2 would be like the survivors of Lost finding out who the others are and what DHARMA's purpose is by the end of season 2).

The show lasted two seasons before it was cancelled for two reasons. A) The series was becoming too expensive to produce and too long to shoot (gap between airtimes of season 1 and 2 was a total of 14 months) and B) For a show that was taking so much time and money to make, its ratings left much to be desired, and it was canned.

Despite the show only running around 24 episodes, it really does it best to entertain and succeeds tremendously. Its a real shame this show was cancelled.

Also, Carnivale has some coooooooooooool opening credits.

Ok thats enough from me, now i'm going to brace myself for the onslaught of "oooo Firefly, I love the Firefly, ooooo Firefly and Joss Whedon oooo" and so forth.

(I thought Firefly was ok at best)

Well, I'm gonna say Wonderfalls, it was just this pleasant little family show.

Favourtie line: "That guy has just gotta be a pimp. Are you gonna stand there and tell me he doesnt look like a pimp?"

Turns out it was a priest.......

And yeah, Firefly, that's going to get mentioned a lot in this thread.

Futurama... although it wasn't really cancelled. Still though. :(

Seymour.gif

<cries>

Invader Zim.
Firefly.
Futurama.
Fragglerock.

sorry for offtopic, but whats the name of the song playing in that horrible, horrible scene?^^^ that song plus seymours eyes closing = saddest moment of tv ever:(

Twin Peaks.

What? You knew I was going to say it.

Dead Like Me.
Roundhouse.
Family Guy. (Unfortunately cancelled... forturately back.)

I started to watch Carnivale but never got really really into it, and when I heard it was cancelled I just kind of dropped off because we'd never really know the full story.

I'll send Firefly, and be the first to mention FarScape.

I started to watch Carnivale but never got really really into it, and when I heard it was cancelled I just kind of dropped off because we'd never really know the full story.

I'll send Firefly, and be the first to mention FarScape.

You have to be kidding me. Farscape? I mean, I liked the cheesyness but there's such a thing as too much cheese.

Jesus Christ Super Cop

Firefly

I wish there were more episodes of FLCL..but I don't think it was cancelled, as much as a, they were testing the waters with the grafix creating system they were using...

I'm going for the obscure one: Roughnecks

Given the simply crazy things they succeeded in doing (for the time) with a minimal budget and simply crushing schedule, I can't imagine what they would have pulled off with some real support.

Arrested Development

Hands down the funniest show ive ever seen........DAMN U FOX!!!! DAMN YOU even more SHOWTIME for not picking it up.

Oh god, that episode of futurama is too damn hard to watch, it gets me everytime ;(

Anyway, Invader Zim should still be alive dammit!

Given the simply crazy things they succeeded in doing (for the time) with a minimal budget and simply crushing schedule, I can't imagine what they would have pulled off with some real support.

Wow... is that the starship trooper one? I remember glancing at that when my cousins were watching it. Crazy.

^ Agreed ^

I thought people were going to think I hated Family Guy all together, I just hate the new episodes. Just to make that clear.

God damn did I love this show.

Also, Arrested Development. Best comedy series in recent memory. F**k you, simple-minded FOX audience.

Well, I'm gonna say Wonderfalls, it was just this pleasant little family show.

Favourtie line: "That guy has just gotta be a pimp. Are you gonna stand there and tell me he doesnt look like a pimp?"

Turns out it was a priest.......

And yeah, Firefly, that's going to get mentioned a lot in this thread.

Ah, Wonderfalls. Got hooked on that show till I found out it had been cancelled. Shame, I really liked it.

fox should die for cancelling arrested development
and they make more of simple life,seriously if I ever go to the USA I will enter the offices and spit on someone on the face

Futurama

Firefly

Millennium

Twin Peaks

Actually, those last two shows started off excellently. But then they spiralled downwards into a big mess due to mismanagement. So maybe it was best that they were cancelled when they were. If they'd gotten their shit back on track (third season of Millennium was wank almost all the way through), they could have had a few more golden years before having the life support ripped from 'em.

Firefly's the obvious one.
I'll say Angel, as that was meant for another season, and seeing the plans they had (Oz and Willow appearences, Fred AND Illyria, etc)... that woulda been an awesome season :(

Futurama.

It was awesome. They cancelled it. Now they will pay.

*racks pump action shotgun*

Isn't Futurama getting a film and a new lot of TV episodes?

Definitely Carnivale!
Deadwoods about to end too :(

John Doe
The Lone Gunmen (****ers killed em off)
The Visitor
Brimstone
Space: Above and Beyond
Greg The Bunny
Dark Skies...man,i could go on forever

Futurama... although it wasn't really cancelled. Still though. :(

Seymour.gif

<cries>

OMG "Jurassic bark" that was one of the saddest and at same time most brilliant episodes I have ever seen, few episodes in cartoon's history have touched me like that...

Back