Awesome smoke grenade trick

goldenboi

Reaction score
In office, I decided to throw a smoker in the building to prevent my ass from getting shot. The grenade trigger somehow got stuck along the side of the wooden platforms. My jaw dropped, and I experimented if VALVe had gone the extra step to make the physics as lifelike as possible. So I shot the crate with my M4. The crate fell; the grenade went off. I have story of my bliss in these following pictures going in chronological order:

cs_office2.jpg

cs_office0002.jpg

cs_office4.jpg

cs_office8.jpg

cs_office9.jpg

Lets hope thats not you impersonating Gabe in the screenshot's chat. ;-)

lol I was. My name in the games is always 'goldenboi', however. :dork:

Getting back on topic, that's a pretty nifty trick. :E

:thumbs: Yeah, I already knew this when I was messin' around in my own created server.

Quite an old trick really - It started off in the beta, when you could stick grenades to walls or between barrels, they apparently fixed it but I have still managed to stick 2 smoke nades (seperate occasions) actually on the side of barrels- they just make that bounce noise continually till you shoot whatever entity they were stuck to....

Its better than it was, I remember a time when you had to be careful throwing HEs- I managed to nearly kill myself when a teammate wandered in front of me as I threw the nade; the nade floated in the air where it had hit his bonce(!), and since my other teammates were blocking me on all sides...I couldn't do much to avoid the following explosion.

The remaining problems I have only ever seen with the smoke nades- so more of an annoyance than a serious bug.

(You say trick - I say stop that bloody rattling racket :) )

I think it has to do more with the the fact that the grenade must be flat on the ground before it goes off, not the result of any realistic trigger-handle modeling.

TaiFong said:
I think it has to do more with the the fact that the grenade must be flat on the ground before it goes off, not the result of any realistic trigger-handle modeling.

No offense to the original poster but ONLY in CS land is a sloppy bug like this interpreted into something as ridiculous as realistic physics built into the trigger mechanism. ROFL.

You get bonus points for including an [LLJK] in your pictures.

You can also get a wealth of bonus points if you re-create this trick with a frag.

i think that it just gets stuck in the box thus making it not detonate and then when it gets unstuck it goes off. Cause if you notice the spoon is not out in the otehr pictures

Eh, no trick about this. Smoke grenades won't start smoking until they come to a complete stop on a non-entity surface. I'm not sure, but I bet if you landed a smoke nade on top of a crate or barrel it wouldn't start smoking either.

The alternative would be to code in smoke effects from a moving source, which is probably a lot harder to do well graphically.

Back