Aztec, wierd problems

AH_Viper

Spy
Reaction score
Ok, I get on average about 70fps anywhere on any level execpt Aztec.

At certain points in Aztec my framerate can drop to almost 2 fps, others it can drop to 30 but at the same time it behaves very weird.

My mouse goes to hell, it randomaly jumps and looks at the sky and ground and its almost as if im lagging because its hard to move out of these areas.

Anyone else get these probs?

AH_Viper said:

At certain points in Aztec my framerate can drop to almost 2 fps, others it can drop to 30 but at the same time it behaves very weird.

My mouse goes to hell, it randomaly jumps and looks at the sky and ground and its almost as if im lagging because its hard to move out of these areas.

Probably just unoptimised map or driver issue's, update them and also try using different option settings, just incase the problem is there too.. Might be a texture problem so check your cards settings, maybe its running too high to cope. Or its overclocked and having a hard time with things.

Thank god. Its realy annoying because I like Aztec but its just unplayable. Hope they get it fixed.

As for drivers, I've got the latest ATI 4.10 and yeah its an overclocked X800Pro to X800XT PE and it runs great on every game on every level..... apart from Aztec on CS Source, so im kinda dismissing that :)

AH_Viper said:

Update your drivers. A lot of people make a mistake while doing this tho. You MUST uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones. That is a MUST.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Update your drivers. A lot of people make a mistake while doing this tho. You MUST uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones. That is a MUST.

Ive got the latest, and I didn't even have to "update" because I just got my X800 along with CPU, Mobo and RAM so I reformated. Installed the drivers from scratch.

P.S. Even though I did install them from scratch I tried reinstalling them, after removing them ;), and I still get the same problems.

I get worse fps in Aztec than any other map, but its still very playable (i hate Aztec though so i'm not bothered lol).

Is there one particular spot where you get a real performance hit? I used to get trouble on bombsite A on dust, fps would plummit to 2-3fps. Recently changed my mobo and reinstalled windows and now the problem is gone for some odd reason.

Try changing texture detail to medium and see if it helps, before getting this new mobo and reformatting that was the only way i could fix my problem. Unfortunately it makes the game look like shit, but if it helps your performance then it might be a worthwhile trade-off until you fix the issue completely.

same here, Italy and Aztec are two maps I dread. (chateau sometimes too) however Aztec just drops to like 1fps when your at bombsite B (looking in the left hand corner where the boxes are, -thats if you are facing the bombsite on the T side-)

also there is a patch of weird looking mud/rock near the stairs (coming outta the water) that does the same thing if you look at it... there are a couple more in the level too.

That happened to me once. I have a wireless optical mouse and the batteries were going flat. I had to use the mouse right near the reciever for it to work properly :)

sounds like CSs sucks. How many years have they had to perfect CS? shouldn't it be dialed to perfection by now.

wonkers said:
sounds like CSs sucks. How many years have they had to perfect CS? shouldn't it be dialed to perfection by now.

No, I think the Source engine wasn't very well written. When this many people have problems, something is wrong. They should have spent more time polishing the engine then making sure HL2 was released during the holiday season.

If I have any problems with HL2, I'm going to flip.

The Dark Elf said:
Probably just unoptimised map or driver issue's, update them and also try using different option settings, just incase the problem is there too.. Might be a texture problem so check your cards settings, maybe its running too high to cope. Or its overclocked and having a hard time with things.

Your new avatar is awesome.

Jordan Capri is awesome a++ would fap again.

And I get good framerates in aztec, I dunno whats up with yours, I have a 9800pro 128 mb.

I have the SAME problem. But it is totally correctable if you turn off AF!

That does the trick.

The problem is the bump mapped green moss bits.

My framerate drops to like 20 when I look down at it.

Bicka said:
T spawn area is one trouble spot:

http://www.bickabic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/css/1.jpg
Medium textures + AF set to bilinear: 130fps

http://www.bickabic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/css/2.jpg
Medium textures + AF set to bilinear: 85fps

http://www.bickabic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/css/3.jpg
Medium textures + AF set to bilinear: 85fps

http://www.bickabic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/css/4.jpg
Just chucked this piccy as well...its even worse than T spawn.

yep those are the spots (plus the grass near the archway coming from ct spawn)

mind If I ask what your rig is? (Pc specs)

Asus 9800XT
AMD XP 2600+ (2.2gig)
1gig Consair ram

No doubt Valve will sort this out eventually...

I don't believe its the grass/moss that does this though, because if you move slightly further up towards the steps and look down again, you see the same grass/moss but minus the dramatic fps loss.

Haven't a clue whats causing it tbh, but the safest bet is to just set texture the medium and af to bilinear until Valve get time to nitpick more deeply.

Well, it appears the turning the textures down to medium stops the problem totaly. Looking straight at a wall brings me from 22FPS on High:
http://lamppost.mine.nu/ahclan/files/de_aztec0014.jpg
to 65FPS on Medium....
http://lamppost.mine.nu/ahclan/files/de_aztec0015.jpg
You tell me thats a logical difference ;)

Oh yeah, and sometimes it drops to 4fps :)
http://lamppost.mine.nu/ahclan/files/de_aztec0009.jpg

Cheers guys, just hate the fact i've gota do it, its REALLY annoying!

P.S. The FSAF turned down didnt help me atall :(

I get the same problem but its even worse, those certain spots also give me sound stutters, its completely unplayable for me. I tried everything and nothing helped. The only way I get around this is by playing in DX Level 7 witch sucks because I get no eye candy ;(

Aztec runs perfectly fine for me. I play with everything on high @ 1280x1024 2xAA 16xAF with reflect world.

90 fps on VST with these settings as well.

Dre3k said:
Aztec runs perfectly fine for me. I play with everything on high @ 1280x1024 2xAA 16xAF with reflect world.

90 fps on VST with these settings as well.

I get 95fps on the VST and even for me the framerate dips.

Dont try to be a smartarse waving your e-pen!s. Go stand over the areas pointed out and look down and then tell me it runs perfectly.

The green patches of moss seem to be the cause.

It might be the bumpmapping, I turned it off and the fps went up.

azz0r said:
I get 95fps on the VST and even for me the framerate dips.

Dont try to be a smartarse waving your e-pen!s. Go stand over the areas pointed out and look down and then tell me it runs perfectly.

Not trying to be a smart ass mr internet tough guy. I get zero performance issues on aztec. Im sorry if you cant deal with it. If it helps any, i used to have a 9800 pro before this 6800 GT and i did get problems in the areas shown above but now its smooth as silk with the 6800. Might be an ATI driver issue.

THATS IT!!!!
my other comp (with a fx 5200) didnt have this problem, my 9800 pro did.

I turned off specular and bumpmapping (ah well) and I get 90-150fps 1280x1024 max settings, 4xaa 16xaf!!!

There you go.

Prob an issue with ATI drivers and some effects used within either the engine or the map. Im sure it can be cleared up with a driver update or perhaps an update from Valve on the map/engine.

bam23 said:
The green patches of moss seem to be the cause.

It might be the bumpmapping, I turned it off and the fps went up.

how do you turn it off?

For me, the better fix is turning textures down to Medium.

You dont have to exit the current game to turn textures to medium but you do have to exit if you want to put mat_specualr 0.

Using the texture fix means I can just do it on the fly when suddenly the map changes.

You don't have to exit the game to turn mat_specular on or off. Well, at least I don't have to exit the current game to turn it on or off. Admittedly it freezes everything for about 5 to 10 seconds, but it will continue the round I am playing once the change is finished (so it is something I'd do when spectating or dead, not mid round :p.

I am using an X800 pro; perhaps it is card dependant

TMPer Tantrum said:
You don't have to exit the game to turn mat_specular on or off. Well, at least I don't have to exit the current game to turn it on or off. Admittedly it freezes everything for about 5 to 10 seconds, but it will continue the round I am playing once the change is finished (so it is something I'd do when spectating or dead, not mid round :p.

I am using an X800 pro; perhaps it is card dependant
I don't need to exit either when I turn off specular and bumpmapping, and I am on a 9800 pro.

neither does my other pc, and it's a fx5200.

and personally I prefer 4xaa, 16xAF and high res textures/models/everything. than medium and having spec and bumps on.

then again I don't really have a choice, I get 10fps with spec and bump on regardless of any other setting.... obviously a driver problem (as In I need to re-install it)

silverstealth89 said:
does the mini city under aztec affect your fps?
that is the 3d skybox, the geometry is displaced elsewhere, and the engine renders it around the map.(this is done in all maps) and no it does not affect your FPS.

Back