Barnacle alien

KingPing_NOR

Reaction score
the cover art on the Norwegian Gamer Reactor mag shows Gordon in a sewer(i think)attaced from behind by a barnacle(typo?). And it looks more dangerous this time, and maby a bit bigger.

Im quite sure the barcnacle will returne in HL2. Only this time i hope it will be more than just a slimy thing on the roof with a long toung/tongh/tounghe(the red thing in your mouth).

The new feature i hope it will have is a (the red thing in your mouth) that can swing after you(it being able to either smell or see you), not just hang there stupidly.
And you being able to get it down from the roof either bu blowing it down or sharp object+manipulator gun...and it wouldn't not die....just lying there on the floor where you could crowbar it to death :naughty:

But! i do NOT hope you can use it as a gun again:flame:....cuz..that was kinda silly

The new feature i hope it will have is a (the red thing in your mouth) that can swing after you(it being able to either smell or see you), not just hang there stupidly.

The red thing being the tongue?
But I agree, it would be rather nice to see it again ...

i hope they'll be harder to see, they were too easy to spot in hl1

Well, two things have been confirmed by VALVe:

The Barnacle (Yes, that's the right spelling) is returning with a minor graphical overhaul.

The Barnacle Grapple is returning. Sorry KingPing.

The Barnacle gun was fun, esp. vs headcrabs :)

I think this was mentioned in an interview and they said it would be a lot nastier..

Yeah, it just sucked the little bastards right up! That's my favourite use for it.

They also said the barnacle would have pulsating sacks around its base, now that is just sick, but gives it a real touch.

I doubt it was a tongue, looked more like a set of inner "lips" to me. Its just the light gave the impression it was flat.

i wonder if you could roll a grenade near his tongue.. after it saps it in, it explodes

Glo said:
i wonder if you could roll a grenade near his tongue.. after it saps it in, it explodes

Maybe they only have a taste for flesh.

I really hope that they're hidden in the dark and stuff this time... that way it'l be a complete suprise until you hear the noise and your arm jerks up and fires involuntarily

They only grab onto organic matter I think - that's how the barnacle gun works anyway...

I believe the barnacles of the next generation are a whole lot more aggressive.

Eejit said:
They only grab onto organic matter I think - that's how the barnacle gun works anyway...

Yeah in OP4 it'd only grab enimies and the green gloop.

would be cool though if it would grab anything... *Eat this!* *stuffs a barrel up its mouth*

Can we have a link to where it said the barnacle gun will be coming back in HL2 please!

I really don't want to see that happen lol. *shakes head at Gearbox*

Man, the barnacles were really scary in the first game, like MrWhite said, I hope they'll be hidden in more dark areas so the surprise will be even bigger this time.

One thing I don't understand is the lifecycle of a Barnacle. How do they.. "start" ?

Maybe some Big Momma thingie sticks a small spore or plant or something in the roof somewhere, and it grows to a full grown barnacle. And why do they eat stuff? Just to kill or to get nutrition? It seems a little weird since they are so small there doesn't seem to be a system to melt an adult human.
Another theory would be that they are some sort of creatures with legs or snake-like creatures that can dig through hard concrete and burrow themself into there. But since Adrian Shephard got to have a Barnacle in his hand, it only seems to be that jaw thingie that's showing in the roof. Strange.

I reckon you start out with these little larvae that can wriggle all over the place, like real barnacles, then they settle down and metamorphose into the adult version.

Brian Damage said:
It's in the original PC Gamer article.

Want the quote?

Yeah plz. I checked through it but doesn't find anything.

Bicka said:
Yeah plz. I checked through it but doesn't find anything.

Here it is. Page 66, 2/3 of the way down the first column.

Your own weapons will again be a mix of contemporary pistols, shotguns, rocket launchers and grenades, plus experimental Earth weapons and organic alien guns, including a version of Half-Life: Opposing Force's barnacle gun grappling hook.

barnacles are incredibly cool, and ill love to see how theyve been updated. i too didnt care too much for the barnacle gun, and if i simply dont like it in HL2, i wont use it. problem solved. i dont think theyll go the gearbox route and make certain areas which require us to use it. if there are places we need to get to with it, ill just construct a makeshift catapult with the zero-point gun and launch myself.
P.S. in that newest interview gabe says that one reason they created barnacles was to make the player wary of ceilings throughout the rest of the game. pure genius.

P.S. in that newest interview gabe says that one reason they created barnacles was to make the player wary of ceilings throughout the rest of the game. pure genius.

You didnt really, the tongue hanging down was a big give away.

Ah well, I think I must have a different region of the magazine. I downloaded it when the pics got knocked up and HL2 is on pages 3x.

EDIT: Yeah twas the US pcgamer.

but it was a good design implementation which affected your gameplay throughout the rest of the game. youre always looking for them, and having to stop and dispatch them using crowbar or shotgun-just my favorite methods. it is very clever. valve creates enemies by thinking things out, not just what looks "cool"

EEEEEE Brain Damage you naughty lad!

I just found the magazine article and it reads:

Valve's presentation also showed off an updated sickly-looking barnacle creature, so could Opposing force's barnacle gun be far behind?

Lol tsk tsk!

oh, good news bicka. maybe it wont be in then.

Bicka said:
EEEEEE Brain Damage you naughty lad!

I just found the magazine article and it reads:

Lol tsk tsk!

Yeah... so?

Mine's the British mag. My quote is from the British mag. It still stands.

Don't tsk tsk me.

kaf11 said:
oh, good news bicka. maybe it wont be in then.

Not being nasty but...we can only hope lol :p

BD was only joking around dude. Theres so many PcGamers out there that they'll have copied off each other. Who knows who's right or wrong. :)

P.s I got that quote from a different PcGamer than the one I previously had.

Back