Barney, which one?

Max35

Tank
Reaction score
So, I'm a tad confused as to which Barney is the one in HL2. Is it one of the several iterations throughout the original HL, or is the one from Blue Shift. I would think it was from HL because they never met during BS. Unless they met before the resonance cascade and furthermore, Calhoun is Gearbox's creation. Not sure if that really makes any difference.

So, in conclusion, which one is it?

It's the one from Blue Shift. You see him banging on a door in the very beginning of Half-Life on the tram ride.

must be the one in BS, every other one either dies or can be killed by the player :p

How do we know it is Calhoun, though? They never mentioned his last name in HL2 I don't recall.

Raising the bar and a few other sources. I'm pretty sure Gabe confirmed it as well.

Blue Shift is the Only Gearbox creation that has lived through to Half-life 2 :p

Max35 said:
How do we know it is Calhoun, though? They never mentioned his last name in HL2 I don't recall.

In the credits it says "Barney Calhoun".

Unless they met before the resonance cascade...

At the beginning of Lowlife in Episode One, Alyx says that Gordon knew him well enough to have airduct-crawling competitions with him whenever Kleiner locked himself out of his office...

Yes it is the one from Blue Shift, if you play Blue Shift you can see the name on his locker is Calhoun, and everyone calls him Barney.
But the name was not originaly planned, back when the first game came out the name 'Barney' was a generic name given to all security guards, before they decided to release a MOD (Blue Shift) and make Barney an actual single character.

It is a mod, a full conversion, but still a modification of the half life engine, it did not use its own engine.

Haze said:
It is a mod, a full conversion, but still a modification of the half life engine, it did not use its own engine.

Sigh...

Haze said:
So Half-Life 1 is a mod of Quake? SiN Emergence is a mod of Half-Life 2?

Black Mesa is VERY big. Calhoun, Shepard, and Freeman were all scattered in the opposite corners of the facility. Though Shepard and Calhoun both see Freeman. (But have no contact with them.)

So wait, is Calhoun the guy you play in Blue Shift or your security guy ally?

As gordon you only see the real barney (calhoun) once. And that is on the trainride.

Back