Barrel jumping

estling

Reaction score
Well.

Since jumping from barrels in HL1 was very easy, they did not move when you jumped on them, I wonder how this will be in HL2. Source provides real-time physics and since jumping towards a barrel IRL is very .. unstable I think it will be unstable in HL2.

What do you think? :-o

I think I remember seeing this in the traptown video after the beam swung over Gordan's head.

Yeah, they'll roll around and you'll fall off realistically.

So, how will you reach higher levels? :O I feel that standing on a barrel to get up on a higher level is impossible. Maybe there's a climb function?

Or you could lift the barrel to standing position? Or stack a couple of boxes?

Something tells me, there isn't that many jumping puzzles this time round because of what the technology can do

What you don't seem to understand is.. w8 I shall paint in PS.... time: 11:07

Ah. Done. time: 11:11

Since im not a good drawer-by-hand, I hope you see my point.

I think the player will have not so good balance..

Attachments

• loeol.gif
    loeol.gif
    19.9 KB · Views: 334
LOL nice work on the photochops. But if the barrel is standing up like that instead of on it's side, I think you can jump on it just fine. Actually I think you can jump on a barrel just fine even if it is on it's side, from what I've seen in traptown. I may be wrong on that one though.

guys, what you don't seem to understand is, mappers put barrels in places specifically so people can jump up on them to get to higher places. the mappers will put in something else that fits the environment, and is fine to use as a stepladder.

and you can still balance on the tops of some things, so you can get up in even more places because you can change where the stepladder is going to be, just by moving it around. but also remember that even though you can change some of the environment to suit where you want to go, if a mapper doesnt want you to go somewhere, they will put an invisible wall to block you from going in. it still wont be realistic like that, it will still have physical skies, but this is a good thing.

They could tip if they are standing but it's harder.
If you start running and stop exactly at the end, all the force is moved to that and the center of gravity of the barrel is moved towards the edge, it tipps.

If you stand on a cylidrical barrel and carefully walk backwards, the barrel turns round and makes you go forward :D

I think i read that in one of the 2003 previews, pczone probably.

hm i didnt understand that sentence... do you mean, if you walk backwards on a barrel, it will turn around [180 degree twist] and then you will be walking it backwards in the opposite direction? um i cant visualise the physics of that.. am i getting it wrong?

...Jebus don't you guys know how real life physics work? Try standing on some cylindrical object and walk on it and you'll see how it works..

:)

estling said:
So, how will you reach higher levels? :O I feel that standing on a barrel to get up on a higher level is impossible. Maybe there's a climb function?
Oh no. A game without box/barrel jumping puzzels. How awful. :|

Um, no.
Like Moppe said, it is not hard at all to "balance" on a standing barrel. And not too hard on a barrel on it's side. But there is a slight problem, in the beta atleast. When you walk forward, you aren't actually pushing the surface you're walking on backward, like in real life. As a result, when you walk forward on a barrel, friction between you and the barrel bring it forward with you. So you kind of have to keep jumping to keep your self in the center.
Hope Valve has fixed this, because they said in an interview that you would be able to do this little trick! :)

Yes, to clarify, it's like walking on a floating log... you walk backwards, and the forwards force on the top of the log makes the log "roll" forwards. Should be the same with the barrels in HL2.

Back